"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

Maritime said:
So you are going to mix the flake in a clear lacquer then spray it on? Sounds like a plan.

That's the one ..................... just like in the "good old days" - well '70's anyway !

The last flake job I did was as mentioned - Vespa scooter for a customer, that was in 1982 - so I'm a bit rusty now.

The trick is to get just the right amount of flake suspended in the clear - too little and you just have the odd sparkle, too much and the gun frequently clogs and / or you need loads of clear top coat, otherwise it's like rubbing your hands over sandpaper ! Mini Flake is much simpler, although you need much more for "heavy" coverage.

Normally you spray a base colour, white, silver, gold - or one to match the flake. That is sprayed as a "finish" coat with no imperfections. In the case of my Yellow sample - it would be sprayed over Gold or light yellow.

I aim to cheat a little with this experiment - I'll use some 1/4 litre shots of clear [ thinned to suit ] and then add one sachet of flake at a time until I think it's right ! The sachets are in exact weighed amounts, so I should be able to calculate for larger quantities.

Of course - this is with cellulose paint finishes ............ I have never used any "modern" finish, so can't comment on how it works with them ? Although I assume that if the materials are comparible, the proceedure would be the same.

I'm sure we must have a paint guru out there who can explain better ?

Sounds clear to me. I am going to be doing a base, pearl, clear for the first time but I am thinking of adding a little flake in as a surprise accent but have never done that before so let us know how this goes. If you use the right kind of clear it should be able to have a 2K over it as the very last coat to protect it all. Just need to be sure it is fully cured.

Maritime said:
Sounds clear to me. I am going to be doing a base, pearl, clear for the first time but I am thinking of adding a little flake in as a surprise accent but have never done that before so let us know how this goes. If you use the right kind of clear it should be able to have a 2K over it as the very last coat to protect it all. Just need to be sure it is fully cured.

yes, this Mini-Flake is ideal for the "sparkle" effect rather than a complete solid coating. That WOULD work, but you'd need a lot of flake !

I have NEVER used 2K paint ! It was "new fangled" stuff when I was in business, and I was never more than an enthusiastic amateur sprayer - reasonable - but amateur. I had an ace sprayer / body man working for me when I was in business, so no need.

Anyway - RESULT ................... front wheel spindle now removed - courtesy of a big engineering vice and a 6' breaker bar !

Again, as the PO said - the bearings are as new.

No excuses now, wheels off to be blasted and powder coated this week.

BTW - MT, the post might be a kicker - but let me know what colour you are looking for and I'll check with my supplier.

A serious dose of man flu ::) held everything up last week, but I've now got the wheels degreased and ready for the PC's on Tuesday.

In the meantime, my two "professional" workbenches arrived [ flat pack ! ], and in reality make a sound base - each measures 4' x 16" wide and with a top and lower shelf - £50 the 2 deleivered, that'll do nicely.

Fortunately I have some decent ex kitchen work tops that will beef up the bench and also some other panels I can use to reinforce the sides. A pal reckons he has a "big old bench vice" somewhere in his shed - looking up.

Now then, if only my Vanguard wheel adaptors would arrive ????????????

So when I posted on Jan 18th [ !! ] full of hope and expectation that my Man Cave would soon be ready to work in ...................yea, fuck 'em all - so called mates who say they'll do stuff for you.

So - NO flourescent lights, NO wiring, and NO worktops.

APRIL 12th. The wiring is now completed [ and working ] thanx to my own efforts, just need to tidy up the cable runs and clip them up. Flourescent lights coming "soon" courtesy of E-bay, and worktops ?????? Temporarilly beefed up the workbenches into one 9 ft. long unit - but useable.

I have a nice big engineer's vice courtesy of a pal, a new pillar drill [ courtesy of Aldi - £45 ], new bench grinder / belt sander [ same source £19 ], and space for my welder, compressor and other capital tools.

As soon as the flourescent lights are installed I'll be bringing the first parts from the garage that need working on - finishing the Vindicator gas tank buck, prepping the frame for paint and also getting stuck into the KZ750 Flat Tracker.

I've decided the fork bottoms need to be the same FO Red as the frame - so they'll be stripped and powdercoated - new seals etc. along the way. I already have new taper headstock bearings.

The wheels ? Ah yes the wheels. My pal from Realm and I are working on another project [ !! ] a BMW Oilhead [ modern take on the Cafe Racer / Retro theme ] and the wheels from that are going in for Gold powder coating, so the plan is now to get them all done together with my wire spoked wheels [ MUCH lower price ! ]

I'll also have the space to lay out all the chassis related parts and see just where we're at.

Another mate of a mate has promised to make up the 40 DCOE intake manifold "one weekend", and I've even found a guy who says he can knit up the high level exhausts for me! I have the flanges for intake and exhaust, so shouldn't be too difficult. STILL undecided about the colour for the "tins" - but suspect a pale Yellow [ maybe with a bit of flake in it ] to offset the FO red.

Oh yes, AND the Vanguard wheel adaptors have arrived - seems like Christmas has come late this year !

Yep - all in working order ........ and so we begin .................... ;D

john83 said:
Looks like some assembly is about to begin!

Make that "has begun" .................... after 12 months of forced non-activity on the bikes, I'm finally sorted and ready to get stuck in.

Mainly locating parts scattered all over the garage, and separating Yamaha, Kawasaki and BMW parts !!!

Today I used ALL my new shed toys - grinder, linisher, vice and pillar drill - what a thrill !

OK it was only making up new brackets to attach the Shotgun rear lamp and seat mounting brackets.

Forks drained and ready to come apart to have the fork bottoms powder coated in the same FO red as the frame. There's some other small parts to be done in the same Red.

The wire wheels finally went to the powder coaters today .. I don't think the Gold is the shade I really want .. but after all this time ......................

I'm busy going through all the nuts and bolts to see which can be replaced with stainless cap heads, and which I need to have Gold passivated, along with the new sprockets, engine brackets and other odds and sods.

Calipers are gently soaking in diesel in prep for a strip down and rebuild.

Thanx MT .............good to be able to use it at last ! ;D

More progress - electrics undertray pattern made - thanx to Kellogs ! I'll get some suitable metal when I go to see AC at the weekend. Sides will be enclosed by the "racing" number plates [ # 55 ].

Shotgun lamp and seat mounts finalised - need to give some thought to the upholstery now - I have Black and Red suede and leather ???????????????

Wheels finally back from Powder coating . not really the "blingy" Gold I wanted, but it's an excellent job - £25 per wheel [ trade ]. So, if anyone tells you wire spoked wheels can't be powder coated without dismantling - tell 'em bollox. ;)

Finally, the forks have been stripped ready for the bottoms to be p/coated in the same FO Red as the frame.

New wheel bearings ordered and fork seals arrived yesterday - trying to track down caliper rebuild kits.

Big box of parts being collected for Gold passivating - sprockets, nuts, bolts, spindles, brackets, etc.

Looking good TJ. Looks like you are making a lot of progress now you have somewhere to work.

The rims look decent. No powder down on the bearing surfaces is always a plus. Electrics tray mock up reminds me of one thing...
vyv_s_cornflakes_motivational_by_imagineapplescruffs-d5oxivq.jpg

Brodie said:
Looking good TJ. Looks like you are making a lot of progress now you have somewhere to work.

The rims look decent. No powder down on the bearing surfaces is always a plus. Electrics tray mock up reminds me of one thing...
vyv_s_cornflakes_motivational_by_imagineapplescruffs-d5oxivq.jpg

Spot on brodie .......... the actual visible parts of the rims are excellent - the bead well - less so, but hey, what you can't see. Compared to a strip down, pc hubs etc., then assemble with new spokes - no contest. Yes there's a couple of minor blemishes on the actual rim, but in reality, you'd have to look hard once the tyres are on ............ah yes - the tyres. Part of me is saying mild knobblies, and the other part is saying TT100s or similar.

Yes I learnt some years ago about the folly of NOT blanking off parts you don't want powder coated ! I sealed the bearing recesses with special washers and sealed them with silicone just to be sure - the powder coater bloke WAS impressed !

I realised I was somewhat ambitious to think I could work on ALL the projects at once in the new MC - so it's concentrate on building the rolling chassis for the KZ and then move everything back to the garage for final assembly. At he same time I can then bring the Vindicator parts to the MC for the same detail treatment. Sounds like a plan !

I've found a commercial steam cleaners [ lorries ], and I'm hoping that will get the KZ engine unit sufficiently prepped for the texture finish I have in mind.

This is the textured finish we're playing with - although we have asked the paint manufacturers for a Matt finish.

The new sample of matt black textured paint has come through, and looks the biz.

Just keeping the momentum going now ........................alloy electrics undertray made and part fitted, all controls, brake parts wire brushed and painted textured Black, all threads chased out and stainless steel fixings selected.

I've bent the mount brackets for the two mini instruments and today I'll wire brush and paint the two master cylinders.

I've also got the wheels ready for their new bearings and ditto the headstock.

Hopefully I'll have the newly powder coated Red fork bottoms back next week, and the the front end is ready to go on.

I also hope to get the motor steam cleaned next week ready for the guy to make up the Webber intake.

Collected my newly powder coated fork legs and rear springs and small parts yesterday .......checked them out - superb - EXCEPT THEY'RE THE WRONG FUCKIN RED !!!!

Just a shade off - and hardly noticeable, except to me - bollox.

On the plus side - all the small parts now cleaned, wire brushed and painted in textured matt Black.

Final trip to the platers next week with all the parts for Gold Passivating.

The electrics seat undertray is now completed along with all the brackets and spacers for the tray and seat.

The Wilwood caliper ? ...........maybe.

"Sorry 'bout that" quoth the powder coater guy " I must be colour blind" ;D

Box home full of anticipation of getting the forks back together this weekend, and then.............

Got news for you pal ........."YOU'RE STILL FUCKIN COLOUR BLIND".

Yet another shade of Red ... nice enough, but NOT the correct Red to match the rest of the bike. ::)

After a brief contemplation to paint the fuckers Black, I thought - NO bollox, I've paid for this to be the right colour!

Back to the powder coaters ready to give our man a round of fucks - day off - but the guy there says - "Fuck me he must be colour blind" - " That's 3016 and you want 3020".

Bonus [ ?? ] is that I threw the cush drive housing in to be done in the same Red - FOC.

So it's back and sort out all the stainlss cap heads for the frame attachments and finalise the seat mounts and undertray.

The white cardboard pattern was made up [ mk3 version ] and will attach to the seat side via rubber nutserts, as I have to be able to remove that easily to get the seat off. As shown it follows the line of the frame, but on seeing the pix, I've decided the top needs to follow the curve of the seat base. Maybe a couple of louvres at the back ?

Can't assemble the forks this weekend - so it's on with some detailing. Finalised the seat / under tray and the pattern for the side panels. Found the original GRP mudguard, and it was much better than I remembered ! ;D The PO had trimmed the front and rear curves - and managed to get them completely different side to side ! ::)Got that sorted and rubbed down, etch primed and primer filler.

Just needs a final flatting and prime, ready for top coat. The tank has been professionally cleaned and resealed against Ethanol on the inside by the PO - and the outside is remarkably free of dents and dings. So, I'll flat that back and prep along with the other "tins" ready for colour coat.

Final pattern - still maybe louvres at the back ! This is the curve the panel will take to follow the seat.

First primer coats [ after etch prime ]

Final flat and prep ready for final primer coat.

Under tray / electrics plate finalised - side panels will seal it all off. Note Facet electric fuel pump for the 40 DCOE Weber.

All powder coating back and correct colour [waiting for cush drive housing ] ;D

I had the tank blasted while I was there, as there was obvious signs of bad repair. Glad I did as a couple of lumps of filler were about to fall out ! ::)

Now etch primed and first pass of filler. I've cleaned and painted some of the small parts in thenew Black texture finish - pleased with that.

Couldn't resist putting the instruments on temp. just to give me some incentive !!

Side panels are completed [ alloy ].

Back
Top Bottom