"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

Tank has now had the second shaping pass and 2 heavy coats of primer filler - exciting eh? ::)

My matt Black rattle can [ cellulose ] arrived yesterday so I can get a guide coat on for some serious shaping.

The seat was full of little moulding gremlins - yer gets what yer pays for [ £35.00 ] - but 30 mins prep work had that sorted - also in primer filler now. All the relevant mounting holes and trimming have been done, just leaving the final fettling of seat / side panel / tank fit. I'm glad now I went down that route - as the Black definitely looked wrong ! :'(

That means [ yellow seat cowl ] that the upholstery needs to be Black. I have my perforated Jag Connolly hide, just have to decide suede or leather side up.

Update on the Weber manifold - Kaptain Kwak [ www.lonesometwin.com. forum ] suggested that rather than incurr the costs of two lots of carriage [ to me, back to him ] for the loan of the head - just send the flanges up to him, and he will get the tubes and have the manifolds made up at the Nuclear engineering company he works for ! There's some really nice folks around.

Now I've decided to use the ex. Vindicator wheels, I just need to sort out exactly what spindles, spacers, shims etc. I am going to need. The same guy has volunteered to get the parts made up for me. Fortunately, when I bought the stainless steel bar material to have the spindles made for another conversion, I actually ordered a couple of spare lengths - J.I.C. So I even have the material I need without further cost. ;D

However, the wheel project can't happen until the frame is moved from the current location in my small Man Cave - as there's no room to assemble forks etc. to try the wheels out and see what's needed.

I feel much happier now I have decided to use those wheels - I went to too much trouble to make them happen in the first place. ;)

Glad you're using the wheels. Like you said it was a lot of work to get them setup in the first place so use em, enjoy the down the road someone else can.

Maritime said:
Glad you're using the wheels. Like you said it was a lot of work to get them setup in the first place so use em, enjoy the down the road someone else can.

Can't believe how tarnished they have become in storage ! Also some damp got to the brake drums. Fortunately only light surface rust easily wire brushed off and thankfully no damage or pitting.

Now if only I can find the cush drive, spacers and sprocket [ NEW ] I'll have all the parts in one place to begin the trial fit up.

I did find the various linkages and brackets for the Grimeca brakes that I took off ready to be chrome plated. The original finish was abyssmal and didn't reflect the £850 price tag for the units !!!!

So, decided to definitely fit the Brass Monza filler cap - only had it for 40 odd years!

That meant the OEM mounting brackets had to come off - then the original stamped depression surrounding the cap hole looked all wrong ! More work - more filler.

Can't post pix at the moment ( been hacked - AGAIN !! ), but I'm sorting out my loaned lap top this week.

Just had a mail from Kaptain Kwak over on the Lonesome Twin forum. The first manifold is all welded up ! The first ? Well yes, I had to have 3 sets of flanges made up ( same cost as one !) so one set goes to KK as a thankyou, and I've had two different runner lengths made up ( 1 1/2" and 2 1/4" ) for myself so I can experiment.

I hope to get the spindle / spacer data sorted out next week for the ex. Vindicator wheels.

The Weber manifold arrived today - spot on. All fits up perfectly.

Extremely neat welding - as you might expect from a Nuclear power plant workshop!

Pix as soon as I work out this tablet thingy ( still no PC ).

Mounting holes drilled to correct size, and all bolts up perfectly. I need to make a support rod / bracket as the Weber is heavier than the OEM carbs. A little more progress.

Help !!!! I cannot find the sprocket carrier, cush drive rubbers and how it attaches to the hub. Any pix/diagrams etc. would help. I will also need to get the relevant parts.

Wheel is ex. 1970's wire spoked / drum brake model xs500.

RrWhParts.jpg

http://www.xs650.com/threads/1974-tx500-rear-drum-hub-plate-interchangeability.32736/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-TX500-XS500-1973-1975-Rear-Wheel-Rim-with-Sprocket-215Bx18-/182005327212?hash=item2a605ce56c:g:5pQAAOSwjVVV3Qh0&vxp=mtr

Looks like it's all there but pics can be assuming. I could buy it and ship just the needed parts ???

TAF,

Many thanx for the rapid response. My hub is exactly as the "swap" thread version. All I have is the bare hub ! ( sprocket side ). Brake side is complete.

Do you think the ebay wheel is the same model ? I have the sprocket carrier ( only ) coming this week, but still need everything else.

Just getting o grips with the new lap top - learning photobucket all over again !!!

Weber / manifold all mounted up. The final angle will be a bit steeper - 5 degree downdraught. Just loosely mounted to check clearances at the moment

beachcomber said:
TAF,

Many thanx for the rapid response. My hub is exactly as the "swap" thread version. All I have is the bare hub ! ( sprocket side ). Brake side is complete.

Do you think the ebay wheel is the same model ? I have the sprocket carrier ( only ) coming this week, but still need everything else.

If you have the exact model year I can dig around and find the parts from fish numbers and matching images

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Tune-A-Fish said:
If you have the exact model year I can dig around and find the parts from fish numbers and matching images

I bought the wheel at an autojumble ! Sold as "early 70's XS500".

However, it's exactly the same as the one in the " swap" link you posted.

The one advertised on eBay looks like it will do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

TAF,

Could I ask you to check on that eBay wheel for me please? It has to be the one with the rubber cush drive.

Cheers. TJ

beachcomber said:
TAF,

Could I ask you to check on that eBay wheel for me please? It has to be the one with the rubber cush drive.

Cheers. TJ

Sent off an inquiry request for pics of the cush dampers and also ran on another that is in even better condition for the same $$ or close... this one may be the ticket as it looks almost NOS so I could break it all down and re sell the leftover bits maybe saving you some of that $$ price and for shipping?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371743792700?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI371743792700.N36.S1.R1.TR19

Spot bollock on TAF !!! ;D

Thanx for taking the time.

How do we proceed ?

I can PayPal you the money and then pay again when you know carriage cost ?

Please let the seller know it's bought !

PM me with your PayPal details

Thanx again

TJ

beachcomber said:
Spot bollock on TAF !!! ;D

Thanx for taking the time.

How do we proceed ?

I can PayPal you the money and then pay again when you know carriage cost ?

Please let the seller know it's bought !

PM me with your PayPal details

Thanx again

TJ

I got you covered TJ... we'll get it all in a box and see where the $$ are, one PP transaction will do. Pics when it arrives.

Huge public thanx to TAF for doing the deed for me - cheers mate.

That now means I have all the missing parts (and looking in excellent condition ) to complete the rear wheel for my KZ750 Flat Tracker.

The guy ( Kaptain Kwak ) who made the Weber intake manifold has also volunteered to make the wheel spindles to suit.

That just leaves the high level BSA Spitfire / Triumph Trophy style exhausts to have made -
I'll start saving now !!

Back
Top Bottom