"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Tune-A-Fish© said:
I may inquire and it's a short ride to see so for $500 "ask" I may find out if it's grenaded or just something simple, these are getting some attention and I may be able to flip it and have a little fun tinkering

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Wow, that's a steal ............. At least £1500 in the UK !

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Wonder what the "hole" can be if it runs so well ???

https://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/6005070483.html
00Z0Z_l7m6r2uCawk_600x450.jpg

I wonder who would put a KZ400 lump in a KZ750b chassis?

The bright sunshine and 10 degree + weather that greeted me Sunday morning was an encouragement to get in the shed and do some of the mundane measuring and generally talking to myself [ I'm a good listener ].

The TR1 "Vindicator" tank is a no go as it will require virtually starting again. :'(

That leaves me with a bit of a styling dilemma - stick to the current Flat Tracker look - or full on 60's style Cafe Racer. Apart from the tank - I have all the relevant bits and now there's something of a competitive element creeping in - maybe clip ons would be better ! Also - I deeply regret having to part with the Vindicator project - that WAS going to be my own particular swansong tribute to my youth, so another sixties styled and influenced Cafe Racer might be appropriate. Fortunately I have all the other parts either already fitted [ Tarrozi rear sets ] or on the shelf - the famous 7R seat and some ace EARLY Tarozzi clip ins. That just leaves the tank - has to be 7R / G50 style - maybe Metisse. 8)

I've drawn up the schematics for the proposed oil cooler / turbo oil supply and I even tripped over a box of unused stainless hoses and anodised alloy fittings left over from my car manufacturing days. That'll hopefully save me a few pennies. There is also a box of NOS fittings and solenoids SOMEWHERE left over from my Drag Racing days - but I suspect they have gone AWOL over the years.

I also had a final think about spacers etc for the Grimeca front wheel and spoked XS500 rear. I'm pretty happy I've come up with a simple solution which will mean the very minimum of outwork for my long suffering mates ! ;)

canyoncarver said:
Ah, that makes sense. I figured something like that but was in a hurry and didn't read enough, my bad. I have two of these motors for my build just in case. Neither will be as ambitious as yours. I always forget about the lonesome twin site. I should probably try to get a login over there and check it out again.

Hey CC,,

you might have let me into your thread link !!!!!!!

After reading about your 2 engines I decided to have a trawl through to find if there was more info ......... and there is.

Just found your build thread .......... lots of useful info / pix. I'll be dropping in on a regular basis now!

I emailed the admin for lonesome twins. He replied but I'm still waiting on him for site access.

Trial fitted the rocker box from my original engine to get an idea of how much space I might [ or might not ] have. The coils will not be living in their normal place above the engine - so I'll be ditching the top " plates" in favour of a rod end [ Rose joint ] stay. The fuel pump might find it's way into that space.

Need to do a bit of swift EBay selling to get Dyna coils, fuel pressure sensors, etc., etc.

PIGGY BACK OIL PUMP DESIGNED AND BUILT BY CHRISLWG OVER ON THE LONESOME TWIN [ KZ750 FORUM ].

I need to make something like this to feed oil cooler / turbo.

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Out of the box suggestions but. Can you build a stand alone oil system for the snail? A quart size tank a small cooler (adding an additional quart) maybe run a belt driven pump nested in an extended cover over the oil filter housing? Big idea but maybe scratch it on paper???

beachcomber said:
Trial fitted the rocker box from my original engine to get an idea of how much space I might [ or might not ] have. The coils will not be living in their normal place above the engine - so I'll be ditching the top " plates" in favour of a rod end [ Rose joint ] stay. The fuel pump might find it's way into that space.

Need to do a bit of swift EBay selling to get Dyna coils, fuel pressure sensors, etc., etc.

PIGGY BACK OIL PUMP DESIGNED AND BUILT BY CHRISLWG OVER ON THE LONESOME TWIN [ KZ750 FORUM ].

I need to make something like this to feed oil cooler / turbo.

Man, this really grabbed my attention. I've been wondering how to do an external oil cooler setup on these motors. I'm still waiting on the admin at lonesome twins. I emailed him back last night. I'd like to read up on the details of this mod.

TJ, just a thought, I have had cafe racers and vintage racers for decades and I keep thinking I should build one last perfect one - just like you. So I built a Dunstall GT750 and it's gorgeous and now it's finally almost done, I can't wait to get rid of it and do something different. It's a beautiful bike, but actually not what I want.

I find that trying something different is way more fun and a street tracker is probably the best custom bike to build and ride. The more relaxed riding position is just more fun because it's more practical. I love clipons etc on the race track but I'm over that look for the street.

If it were mine, I'd make it into something unique and by definition different and a US styled 750 twin tracker type bike may hit those buttons for you too.

beachcomber said:
The bright sunshine and 10 degree + weather that greeted me Sunday morning was an encouragement to get in the shed and do some of the mundane measuring and generally talking to myself [ I'm a good listener ].

The TR1 "Vindicator" tank is a no go as it will require virtually starting again. :'(

That leaves me with a bit of a styling dilemma - stick to the current Flat Tracker look - or full on 60's style Cafe Racer. Apart from the tank - I have all the relevant bits and now there's something of a competitive element creeping in - maybe clip ons would be better ! Also - I deeply regret having to part with the Vindicator project - that WAS going to be my own particular swansong tribute to my youth, so another sixties styled and influenced Cafe Racer might be appropriate. Fortunately I have all the other parts either already fitted [ Tarrozi rear sets ] or on the shelf - the famous 7R seat and some ace EARLY Tarozzi clip ins. That just leaves the tank - has to be 7R / G50 style - maybe Metisse. 8)

I've drawn up the schematics for the proposed oil cooler / turbo oil supply and I even tripped over a box of unused stainless hoses and anodised alloy fittings left over from my car manufacturing days. That'll hopefully save me a few pennies. There is also a box of NOS fittings and solenoids SOMEWHERE left over from my Drag Racing days - but I suspect they have gone AWOL over the years.

I also had a final think about spacers etc for the Grimeca front wheel and spoked XS500 rear. I'm pretty happy I've come up with a simple solution which will mean the very minimum of outwork for my long suffering mates ! ;)

TAF - everything is still on the table ! A Honda mini bike external (?) pump has been suggested. Whatever I go with - I have to outsource the work which means keeping it as simple as possible to keep costs down.

CC - yes some good stuff on the LT forum. Like I said I spoke with KK on the phone last night and he is looking out for your mail. This conversion has had some hard use (865cc) for many miles with no issues.

Teazer - I really do have a dilemma here ! You know my roots, and when I had to sell off the Vindicator I was gutted. So, does this bike become my swansong Cafe Racer, or do I stick with "something different"??

AND like you say, ( especially at 3 score and 13 ) maybe high bars makes sense for a road bike. That said, the project seems to be taking a competition direction - all on it's own!

In an ideal World I'd probably get a second KZ and have one of each style !

Fortunately the rolling chassis is at a point where swapping one style for another is simples. I have 7R and Flat Track seat, Tarrozi rearsets already fitted and I have early Tarrozi clip ons AND F/T bars !

Only the tank needs sorting styling wise.

Decisions, decisions........ Fortunately none of the above affects the mechanical build. 8)

interesting setup on that extra pump oil cooler lines. I have a friend making me a billet oil filter cover that will allow the use of an oil cooler on my 750. always interesting to see how different people solve the same problem.

doc_rot said:
interesting setup on that extra pump oil cooler lines. I have a friend making me a billet oil filter cover that will allow the use of an oil cooler on my 750. always interesting to see how different people solve the same problem.

It's a simple and practical solution on this particular engine - and keeps everything inside ! The reason I like this solution is that it takes no oil away from the OEM system. Additionally the turbo oiling requirements are completely opposite to a roller bearing bottom end - ie high pressure low volume. That in turn would mean selecting the oil pressure relief valve spring to suit. The only addition I would make is some sort of vertical baffle between the two pick ups to avoid the possibility of cavitation.

There must be hundreds of compact bike / car oil pumps out there suitable for the job !

I think the late night trawling of E Bay has come up trumps - maybe.

Came across this little baby which LOOKS to be OK size wise.

From a 2008 - 2010 Suzuki GSXR 600.

I need the measurement for the overall clearance to the sump base. As in the pic of the conversion by Chris LWG. IE from where he has mounted the pump base to the bottom of the oil strainer / sump base.

The rotation of the pump is irrelevant as it can be driven from either end.

These pumps are relatively inexpensive and if they will do the job - will mean minimal extra fab work.

Could be driven externally as the inlet / outlet bosses could be rigged up for hoses.

I think the late night trawling of E Bay has come up trumps - maybe.

O/A length is 165mm

O/A height 70mm

Height to c/l of pump drive 30mm.

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

This is the simple way my friend

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151362842834

fd2a3e5bd11374edbc1fbb291df02fdc.jpg

TAF - thanx for the headsup - planning on using one for the turbo scavenge. I've found a Chinabay version for £50.

A bit nervous about using one for oil delivery, however you are quite right - that would mean ALL my oiling requirements would be solved for £100 'ish and no need for me to get parts made out.

I'll check the specs for the different pumps - over 30 variants available !

beachcomber said:
TAF - thanx for the headsup - planning on using one for the turbo scavenge. I've found a Chinabay version for £50.

A bit nervous about using one for oil delivery, however you are quite right - that would mean ALL my oiling requirements would be solved for £100 'ish and no need for me to get parts made out.

I'll check the specs for the different pumps - over 30 variants available !

Just be cautious of anything shipping from Beijing the good tooling is all in Guangzhou and Shenzhen.

Also, you would serve yourself well to take the whole lot to a qualified electric tool repair shop to have the motor checked over for QA purposes. Chances are they have seen the guts before.

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Just be cautious of anything shipping from Beijing the good tooling is all in Guangzhou and Shenzhen.

+ 1 to this. I have audited many factories over there and all my good suppliers were in one of those two regions. I was buying alloy extrusions and electric components for HRV's circuit boards, electric motors etc.

Back
Top Bottom