www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 66 Ducati 250  (Read 19009 times)

Offline joea

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • cafe' racers
Re: 66 Ducati 250
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2013, 21:52:41 »

wide case mototrans….finished about 7 years ago. 66 monza done in 2009
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013, 21:57:11 by joea »

Offline SeekingZero

• Seeking Zero
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:36:45 »
Wow, I am ashamed that I haven't updated this thread in so long. I apologize for getting everyone excited and then dropping off the face of the earth! Well, I supposed its time to try and redeem myself. I shall start by giving you all the latest updates. As of the last post, I had the money, motivation, but no time. I am happy to announce that I now also have the time!! I'm also back in California which helps immensely as well. I've lucked into an amazing living arrangement with two old racers that has worked out so wonderfully. However, we do currently have 8 motorcycles in the garage and so, even though I have a garage to work in, trying to complete a restoration in it was another matter entirely.

Therefore, I started looking around for some shop space that I could rent or use to do my work. Back in 2012, a place called Moto Shop opened up in South San Francisco. Moto Shop was a company that would rent or own large shop space as a base for a community motorcycle garage where anyone can work on their motorcycle, or take a workshop and learn how for a hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly rate. I looked them up again and wouldn't you know they changed their name to Moto Guild and opened a San Jose location (much closer to me)! Shop space solved. http://www.motoguild-sv.com/

Last Saturday, I went and hooked up my trailer, with the 250 still sleeping inside, and drove about 15 minutes North to Hayward to meet with Chris Quinn, master wheel builder and vintage Ducati legend.

He remembered me and the bike and I spent 4 hours there with him, discussing the bike, tearing open the motor (for the first time!) and searching through is shop of endless old Ducati parts for some of the bits I still needed. We took off the clutch side cover, bevel side cover, and eventually slid the cylinder up to get a peak down below. What we found was incredible!

The crank was shiny and new, the valves and guides were all new and modified topped off with a high compression piston. The engine was built, and very well done, but had never been fired! We were able to figure out why too. Before we took the cylinder off, we rotated the motor a bit an kept hearing a consistent clunk. As we figured, the top of the piston was hitting the valves since the piston isn't stock. We took a walk into Chris' shop, he pulled out one of many cylinder shims in a drawer handed it to me and said, "take the cylinder off, put this under it, and put it back on." How awesome is that! Speaking of his shop, I snapped some photos of this vintage restorers wet dream...

After pulling a table full of parts out of all his stock, he tallied up what he wanted for everything, I handed him a few bills and was out of there with a ton of much needed and very hard to find pieces for an incredibly reasonable price. I'll post up the parts later on. With the bike, and my new box of parts, loaded up, I left for San Jose and Moto Guild. Moto Guild Silicon Valley opened in July of 2015 and is still very much getting started. The man running the show is Patrick and he is a very nice guy who was more than excited to have the little 250 in the shop. Turns out that he is also from Illinois and went to Eastern Illinois University, in the town I used to live in and owned my first house in for 4 years! Small world.

And I almost forgot, before I left Illinois, I was able to title the bike as a 1966 Ducati 250 Mark III (MK3 or MKIII). Regardless how the various pieces may have began life, the bike that I will own at the end of this restoration will look like the image below of the bike it is titled as!

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” -Ben Bostrom

06 Ducati 999
66 Ducati 250
88 Honda Hawk
12 Honda CRF250R
03 Suzuki DR650

CB175
Ducati 250
SeekingZero.com

Offline SeekingZero

• Seeking Zero
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:37:30 »
I went down to the shop today for a few hours tonight. By the time I left, I had the entire motorcycle disassembled, all but the engine since it doesn't need it.

Ditching the old tires...

Things to do:
-put in kickstarter assembly
-shim cylinder head
-cut ground on stator to convert from 6V to 12V
-soda blast motor
-paint motor
-send side covers, hubs, and other bits off to be polished
-send wheels off to be rebuilt
-buy tires
-send frame off to be bead blasted
-sand blast bits that fit into cabinet
-clean and seal gas tank
-send cleaned up parts to Bobby Keith for painting
-clean up and rebuild suspension
-rebuild brakes
-buy other bits I need

Much more to come!
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2016, 04:51:36 by SeekingZero »

06 Ducati 999
66 Ducati 250
88 Honda Hawk
12 Honda CRF250R
03 Suzuki DR650

CB175
Ducati 250
SeekingZero.com

Offline DesmoDog

« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2016, 14:09:36 »
Looks like a fun project!

I understand the delay in getting things done. My long dormant 250 Monza => 350 Bitsa is also finally seeing progress again after a few years of sitting.

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2016, 15:49:38 »
Such beautiful bikes in this thread.  The Italians could make a toilet plunger be a work of art and these restorations are a great testament to that.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2016, 16:09:18 »
I'm well on my way to collecting the parts for one... This is what I have so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2016, 16:18:51 »
Looks like my Corvette parts collection, Tuna-A   :)
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline Texasstar

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Can't is a four letter dirty word
    • Zoom With Zeke
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2016, 17:01:49 »

Wow, I am ashamed that I haven't updated this thread in so long. I apologize for getting everyone excited and then dropping off the face of the earth! Well, I supposed its time to try and redeem myself. I shall start by giving you all the latest updates. As of the last post, I had the money, motivation, but no time. I am happy to announce that I now also have the time!! I'm also back in California which helps immensely as well. I've lucked into an amazing living arrangement with two old racers that has worked out so wonderfully. However, we do currently have 8 motorcycles in the garage and so, even though I have a garage to work in, trying to complete a restoration in it was another matter entirely.

Therefore, I started looking around for some shop space that I could rent or use to do my work. Back in 2012, a place called Moto Shop opened up in South San Francisco. Moto Shop was a company that would rent or own large shop space as a base for a community motorcycle garage where anyone can work on their motorcycle, or take a workshop and learn how for a hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly rate. I looked them up again and wouldn't you know they changed their name to Moto Guild and opened a San Jose location (much closer to me)! Shop space solved. http://www.motoguild-sv.com/

Last Saturday, I went and hooked up my trailer, with the 250 still sleeping inside, and drove about 15 minutes North to Hayward to meet with Chris Quinn, master wheel builder and vintage Ducati legend.

He remembered me and the bike and I spent 4 hours there with him, discussing the bike, tearing open the motor (for the first time!) and searching through is shop of endless old Ducati parts for some of the bits I still needed. We took off the clutch side cover, bevel side cover, and eventually slid the cylinder up to get a peak down below. What we found was incredible!

The crank was shiny and new, the valves and guides were all new and modified topped off with a high compression piston. The engine was built, and very well done, but had never been fired! We were able to figure out why too. Before we took the cylinder off, we rotated the motor a bit an kept hearing a consistent clunk. As we figured, the top of the piston was hitting the valves since the piston isn't stock. We took a walk into Chris' shop, he pulled out one of many cylinder shims in a drawer handed it to me and said, "take the cylinder off, put this under it, and put it back on." How awesome is that! Speaking of his shop, I snapped some photos of this vintage restorers wet dream...

After pulling a table full of parts out of all his stock, he tallied up what he wanted for everything, I handed him a few bills and was out of there with a ton of much needed and very hard to find pieces for an incredibly reasonable price. I'll post up the parts later on. With the bike, and my new box of parts, loaded up, I left for San Jose and Moto Guild. Moto Guild Silicon Valley opened in July of 2015 and is still very much getting started. The man running the show is Patrick and he is a very nice guy who was more than excited to have the little 250 in the shop. Turns out that he is also from Illinois and went to Eastern Illinois University, in the town I used to live in and owned my first house in for 4 years! Small world.

And I almost forgot, before I left Illinois, I was able to title the bike as a 1966 Ducati 250 Mark III (MK3 or MKIII). Regardless how the various pieces may have began life, the bike that I will own at the end of this restoration will look like the image below of the bike it is titled as!

does this model have a jellymold? The proportions look off??? Looking forward to your build. My sons dream bike is a jellymold Ducati.

It's an optimization exercise and not a maximization trip.-Teazer

And though she be but little, she is fierce - WS
http://zoomwithzeke.com/
Third Times a Charm cb175
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66169.0

Honda Cb175 Victoria!

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=52299.0

Honda Cb200 Lucky!
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45872.0

Bultaco El Montadero 360

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64349.0

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2016, 19:09:39 »
+1 for racer! (skip the fairing)

Ditto.
--
KZ400 The Rabbit
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline SeekingZero

• Seeking Zero
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2016, 14:51:28 »
Looks like a fun project!

I understand the delay in getting things done. My long dormant 250 Monza => 350 Bitsa is also finally seeing progress again after a few years of sitting.

I saw your thread revived as well! Your build definite looks promising and I hope all the customization turns out the way you want! I'm glad to not be doing any customizing this time around. Turns out that the "half-stock" picture is actually a completely stock Mach 1/Mark 3. So I will essentially just be doing a restoration that will happen to be cafe-esque!

does this model have a jellymold? The proportions look off??? Looking forward to your build. My sons dream bike is a jellymold Ducati.

The 250's and other cc models did come with jellymold tanks, but those are older bikes. The red 160 in one of the photos of Chris Quinn's shop is an example of an older model Ducati with a jellymold tank.

06 Ducati 999
66 Ducati 250
88 Honda Hawk
12 Honda CRF250R
03 Suzuki DR650

CB175
Ducati 250
SeekingZero.com