www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 66 Ducati 250  (Read 21269 times)

Offline SeekingZero

• Seeking Zero
Re: 66 Ducati 250
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:20:57 »
Around the time of my last post, I was recommended something called Rub n' Buff. Apparently, old airhead guys have been using it on their engines for longer than I've been alive to bring back the lust of the old weathered aluminum cases. So I ordered a $6 tube from Amazon. Oh the sheer joy and satisfaction this little tube elicits!

Here are some side by sides. See if you can spot the raw aluminum vs the Rub 'n Buff...

I even used it on the carb!

Forget painting! I can't wait to get back and finish the rest of the motor. The fins are quite time consuming, but I can't argue with the results! Incredible! ;D
"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” -Ben Bostrom

06 Ducati 999
66 Ducati 250
88 Honda Hawk
12 Honda CRF250R
03 Suzuki DR650

CB175
Ducati 250
SeekingZero.com

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:57:22 »
a friend of mine thats into BMWs told me about that stuff as well. I never tried it but he says it makes cleaning the engine alot easier because all the pores are sealed.

Offline 45exmayor

« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:05:45 »
What finish rub and buff did you order.  When I went on their website he only thing that looks close is one they call pewter.  Thanks. Rick
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66379.
'71 CB100/125
'02 monster 620 (sold)
'66 Triumph T100SC(sold)

Offline SeekingZero

• Seeking Zero
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:51:09 »
a friend of mine thats into BMWs told me about that stuff as well. I never tried it but he says it makes cleaning the engine alot easier because all the pores are sealed.

That's what I hear to and it makes sense.

What finish rub and buff did you order.  When I went on their website he only thing that looks close is one they call pewter.  Thanks. Rick

Yes, pewter is the color I ordered. There is a silver one also that matches a bright aluminum, but wouldn't be very good on engine cases.

06 Ducati 999
66 Ducati 250
88 Honda Hawk
12 Honda CRF250R
03 Suzuki DR650

CB175
Ducati 250
SeekingZero.com

Offline DesmoDog

« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:14:54 »
Around the time of my last post, I was recommended something called Rub n' Buff. Apparently, old airhead guys have been using it on their engines for longer than I've been alive to bring back the lust of the old weathered aluminum cases. So I ordered a $6 tube from Amazon. Oh the sheer joy and satisfaction this little tube elicits!

Cool! I hadn't heard of that stuff, I'll have to try it out.

This might not help (and it looks like you're done already anyway) but to clean up the cylinder on my 160 I chucked it up in a lathe, spun it (not fast) and used sheets of Scotchbrite to clean it up. Much easier than doing it all by hand though probably not an OSHA approved use of a lathe…

Exchanged your sidecovers for pre-polished ones, huh? That's cheating!  ;-)

EDIT: I just checked out the link you provided about the kickstart spring fix. Surprise surprise, it uses pics of my 160 screw up as a warning to others! I'm still embarrassed by that… anyway, better to show others than to hide it and let them repeat my mistake I guess. I don't mind that they're there, it was just a surprise to see them.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2016, 09:28:25 by DesmoDog »

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2016, 15:13:01 »
Very cool. I've always loved these motors.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline Dale

• [B]Moto Guzzi V50II Detailed Cafe Build Diary [/B]
« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2016, 17:17:22 »
Just had a read through this now. Man! I hope I can find an old Ducati some day! :-)  Its one of my dream builds. Looking awesome.

Offline Erskine

« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2016, 20:26:16 »
Sweet, quite jealous.

Offline SeekingZero

• Seeking Zero
« Reply #48 on: Feb 06, 2016, 23:29:50 »
Thanks guys, glad you all are enjoying it. Until you guys can get your own Ducs, you'll just have to live vicariously through DesmoDog and I!  ;D

Cool! I hadn't heard of that stuff, I'll have to try it out.

This might not help (and it looks like you're done already anyway) but to clean up the cylinder on my 160 I chucked it up in a lathe, spun it (not fast) and used sheets of Scotchbrite to clean it up. Much easier than doing it all by hand though probably not an OSHA approved use of a lathe…

Exchanged your sidecovers for pre-polished ones, huh? That's cheating!  ;-)

EDIT: I just checked out the link you provided about the kickstart spring fix. Surprise surprise, it uses pics of my 160 screw up as a warning to others! I'm still embarrassed by that… anyway, better to show others than to hide it and let them repeat my mistake I guess. I don't mind that they're there, it was just a surprise to see them.

Definitely try it out. For the cost, its worth just having it on hand! What I've learned from my previous builds is what I can do, what I want to do, and what I'm alright leaving others to do for me. Polishing is one of those things that falls into the latter category...

I knew that was a 160 in the pictures, I was thinking those photos looked familiar! Small internet huh?! Thanks for going through the headache so the rest of us can learn. That is predominantly one of the reason I take the time to post these builds.

More to come!

06 Ducati 999
66 Ducati 250
88 Honda Hawk
12 Honda CRF250R
03 Suzuki DR650

CB175
Ducati 250
SeekingZero.com

Offline SeekingZero

• Seeking Zero
« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2016, 00:13:39 »
Finished "finger painting" the motor tonight!  8)

06 Ducati 999
66 Ducati 250
88 Honda Hawk
12 Honda CRF250R
03 Suzuki DR650

CB175
Ducati 250
SeekingZero.com