www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Suzuki GR650 Scrambler/Tracker - The Strangler!  (Read 20779 times)

Offline Joe Suzuki

• Everything is Better With Knobbies!
Re: Suzuki GR650 Scrambler/Tracker - The Strangler!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2014, 20:01:49 »
Yeah, I'm not sure about the tank.  I have a few options.  1.)  Live with it and make it work. 2.) Modify it by hack and weld 3.) Use stock tank with some minor mods to make it look better (raise the rear). 4.) Find another tank.  The problem with 4 is that the Tempter frame and tank tunnel is really wide, so any small tanks or non Suzuki family tanks will either require tunnel mods or frame surgery.  So I may be on the lookout for something more suitable... maybe...

Offline Big Rich

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2014, 02:27:37 »
With the front mounts shaved to make them more narrow, a tank from a GS450 or certain GS850's fit. Later 850 tanks need some pretty major Fab work to fit in comparison.

Offline Joe Suzuki

« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2014, 14:16:00 »
Yeah, I don't really like the shape of the GS450 tank for this build.  Its got the wrong profile.  I thought of another option, which is fab a tank completely from scratch.  I'm considering it.

Offline iGreek

« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2014, 18:19:28 »
I have to agree that the tank looks a bit too long, but I like the shape of it. Do you think you can modify it and shorten it, or is that going to be to much work? You could possibly build the seat a bit different to compensate, but I like the overall shape of it on the frame.

Offline Joe Suzuki

« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2014, 23:31:09 »
It might be possible to shorten it, but I don't have an English wheel to make the necessary in between panels once you section and shorten.  I have another tank, one from a GS850 that I could try with first.  If I don't like the results, I can sell the 550 tank and not destroy it and go to plan B.

Offline Kg_Customs

• Cm 400 scrambler
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:04:29 »
This looks great, I love efi swaps!

When you build your battery add and over/under charge protection circuit to it. Those liopop4 battery's are voltage sensitive and kick the bucket if voltage drops under 7-8 volts. Do your rc cars have them in it, if so I bet they're tiny and it would be nice to use one of that size.

If your tight on space you could section the under side of your tank to house the fuel pump and maybe some other goodies.
We restore, paint, and customize vintage motorcycles. Specialized in Japanese and European bikes built to suit your needs.
K_Grendell@yahoo.com
I.G.: Kg_Customs
F.B.: Kg Customs
Latest build:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=56433.0

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2014, 14:59:52 »
Pretty cool.

Offline Joe Suzuki

« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2014, 15:30:51 »
Fuel pump is external, the one from a honda trx700 quad. I'll take some pictures and show you. I dont think I'm gonna build my own battery.  By the time I do a proper battery build with a bms, I might as well just buy one.

I think I might have another tank possibility.   Im looking at some options.  I'll update when I know more.

Offline Joe Suzuki

« Reply #48 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:33:03 »
Ok, I'm super stoked about this tank.  Much better, not so long, and its got a really cool cap!  Absolutely no mods needed to fit it to the tunnel either, even the front rubber mounts are perfect!  Plus it was only $40 on Craigslist in PDX!  Can any of you astute tankophiles identify it?  Check it out.

So Looks like I'll sell the original GR650 tank and the GS750 and GS850 tanks I have on fleabay, maybe they can help offset some of the project costs.  I need a new camera...

Offline Big Rich

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2014, 23:58:39 »
Perhaps a T350 or GT550, etc? Look around on Suzukicycles.org and I'll bet you find it in no time.