Aussie 1982 CB750 DOHC - First Build

750mors

Been Around the Block
I've been meaning to start this build thread for a while as a way of keeping track of my progress and also sharing what little knowledge and experience I have with the DTT community.

After researching Cafe Racers for many years I finally had the approval from my wife to take over half of our garage. So I chose my machine of choice - a CB750 and began scanning the classified. I was able to pick up a 1982 CB750F for the right price which was running but had a top end knock and even still had some registration left so I was able to ride it home.

Here's how she looked when I brought her home

84148f9e04c6d08f7055ddc9bdff4170_zpsacfc78ea.jpg

Fast forward 11 months:

I was of two minds as to how I would approach the build. I could either do piece by piece and keep it rideable or go all out. I began by taking off a few bits and pieces that weren't necessary for my style of build and that turned into a complete strip down. Before I knew it I was down to a frame and engine cases.

Here's the mandatory "cafe mock up" pic

98dfcf79ccd7683232abac6c68419bee_zpsb5925d4f.jpg

Then continuing the strip

133cd5b19670b185422d4f6422a94176_zpsde9624b4.jpg

Engine was in surprisingly good condition

361b1c1b9be03acdeaf4411f35755f26_zps207df3cc.jpg

With the exception of the crank bearings, as you car see - through to the bronze

7d58b17afead0f45188b61b053b58510_zpsa593533f.jpg

Then stripped the paint off the tank and cut the side panel tabs off

4732cb1637fac3e9cd7c10175e63b45c_zps654250b5.jpg

Re: 1982 CB750 DOHC - First Build

I got hold of a GSXR 750 2002 front end for a bargain, the 2002's run axial mounted calipers though and I had radials in mind so I also picked up some lower legs off an 05 750 along with calipers

59713ad6f68ee6eed2a91574424ee359_zps254a7db3.jpg

a4d43b0aa81307ac2a4f25b1f06afc6e_zps5c5584ee.jpg

I cleaned the lower legs up and repainted, then removed the old lowers and swapped over.

Here's a pic of a rough mock up, just waiting on bearings and steering stem from Cognitomo :)

48ec8a878d5fd12a0d58c75adbb23295_zpsea721fdf.jpg

I'm in the process of figuring out spring weight now before I put the forks back together.

And last pic is of the triangle clean up job.

I'm in the process of cleaning and rebuilding/ re-jetting the carbs, the engine case is off getting acid washed. And the cylinder head is at a mates shop getting serviced.

I'm eagerly awaiting a shipment from the states including:
CB900 cams
A.P.E valve springs
Cognitomoto's steering stem kit
Rings, mains and rod bearings
Carb kit and jets
And a few odds and ends that I couldn't source locally.

That's all for now, that brings me up to date, hopefully things won't move too slow if the last 3 weeks have been any indication.

I hope you guys enjoy reading the progress.

Cheers,

Matt

Great start. Are you gonna stick with the points ignition or swap it over to the elec.?

Sweet setup -- the bike is looking great. Modern suspension on the DOHC's are so mean!! Do you plan to stick with the stock tank? Any plans for the seat yet?

Also nice soda collection :)

Looks like a small grocery store in your garage. ;D
Stocking up for the Zombie Apocalypse. ;)

750mors said:
Then stripped the paint off the tank and cut the side panel tabs off

4732cb1637fac3e9cd7c10175e63b45c_zps654250b5.jpg

It would be good if you could reshape the bottom edge of the tank to remove the section where it start to head south to match up with the side covers. I have seen one tank painted black to visually change the shape and one I saw a while ago chopped off at that bottom corner, but not done very well. It needs to be curved around like the rest of that bottom edge to look right.

Jewbacca said:
Great start. Are you gonna stick with the points ignition or swap it over to the elec.?

Jewbacca,
If I can source it for the right price I would like to move over to electric, I have some time up my sleeve (until I order a harness from sparckmoto) until I have to decide. The dollars keep adding up though!

Matt

biker_reject said:
How did you remove the lower legs?

Just a bit of heat to melt the thread lock with the leg in a vice, then had a long bar through the holes at the top of the stanchion, as soon as I applied some heat it free'd right up.

bananas said:
Sweet setup -- the bike is looking great. Modern suspension on the DOHC's are so mean!! Do you plan to stick with the stock tank? Any plans for the seat yet?

Yeah I was waiting for the comments, I own a vending machine company. Hence the array of sugar. :D

Matt

bananas said:

Tank and seat I'm not too sure on yet. I kind of like the big tank... I've got a mate that wants to try putting the knee cut outs in but haven't decided.

Once I've worked out the tank I'll have more of an idea on the seat/ rear hump. I need to keep my electrics in it so it will have to have some size to it, but I like the lower / sleeker looking humps.

Too many choices when it come to paint and panel, as the sky is the limit. I'll have my wife play around with some designs on photoshop soon to get a feel for what I like.

Matt

teazer said:
It would be good if you could reshape the bottom edge of the tank to remove the section where it start to head south to match up with the side covers. I have seen one tank painted black to visually change the shape and one I saw a while ago chopped off at that bottom corner, but not done very well. It needs to be curved around like the rest of that bottom edge to look right.

Yeah I think I know the one you're talking about teazer, I think it was silver on top with almost a black underbelly to 'thin' the appearance of the tank. I really like that idea. As for the cutting down you're talking about, if you manage to dig up a pic I'd love to see it so I can better understand what you're talking about.

Matt

It was probably this bike. I had planned on doing this to my tank, but I like the way it turned out. I did knee pockets and clip-on pockets and I think it visually minimized the bulkiness of the tank.

Attachments

• 1980cb7501.jpg
    1980cb7501.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 10,711
  • 1980-honda-cb750-3.jpg
    1980-honda-cb750-3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 5,065
  • Home stretch 3.jpg
    Home stretch 3.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 5,070

Biker Reject,

Yeah that's the one I had seen. Love the pin striping too. I'll have to spend some time finding examples of finished products of modified 82 tanks as they don't run conventional lines that's for sure.

Matt

This is a Suzuki GS1100E tank that came with a similar integrated swoopy Euro look that's in the process of being "flat bottomed" to make the rocking world go round......

DSCN1444crop_zpsfda5ac1c.jpg

had the same problem with my tank, doesn't look too bad with the bottom painted black. compared to the work that needs to be put in reshaping the tank...

DSCI0188.jpg

Teazer - That's some serious work right there!

Jungalist - I'm thinking that's what I'll end up going with. Your bike looks great!

That's a small job compared to fitting the flush filler cap on the last tank or the frame and suspension mods.... ;-)

The key to it is that the end result is your own design and implementation and people are never quite sure what was modified and what came from some other bike. That tank fits on stock front mounts (almost) but needed new rear mounts to fabbed and welded on, so I cut some tabs off a spare frame and modified them slightly and then used rubber mounts form a different bike to pull it all together.

Back
Top Bottom