'74 CB360 Dual coil question

billyp

Been Around the Block
Has anyone used something like this?

dualcoil_zpsd8dd2aea.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-coil-dual-lead-12v-volt-chrome-Triumph-chopper-12-volt-/361002864790?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540d729096&vxp=mtr

I'm thinking of using one on a bone stock CB360 rebuild for my wife. Currently not running, and the electrics are shot, so I'm looking to replace and modernize a little bit. It would take up less room and you would only need one. Plus it's chrome, that's worth at least 7 hp

If it has an input for both sets of points then I say go for it. Otherwise no it won't work.

frogman said:
If it has an input for both sets of points then I say go for it. Otherwise no it won't work.

Ooooo, damn, didn't even think bout that. I'll need to research that a bit more. If that one doesn't work then I may go with this one.

dualcoil_zps43653708.jpg

Emgo Universal Dual Out Put 12 Volt 4.2 Ohm Ignition Coil
Great quality points type ignition coil that will work with many different motorcycles.

Thanks for the replies everyone, xb thanks for the info on the 2 coils needed. I have very limited experience with bikes and the experience I do have is with my XS650. I know I can always find an answer and good input on this forum.

Sonreir, just picked up a couple on EBay, thanks ;D

Sonreir said:
Use XT600 coils. They mount up without any changes and they're very cheap.

Looks like i may need a coil/pair for my cb390 Matt

What year of XT600 should i be looking for, i’m guessing early so it had points?

Steve

Correct. I think later models used a CDI and those will not work.

If/when you get your hands on them, make sure the primary windings are between three and five Ohms.

This sort of thing ( cheap on ebay) ?

Attachments

• 3D5E3FA9-B815-49DA-8750-112B7773BE92.png
    3D5E3FA9-B815-49DA-8750-112B7773BE92.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 227
Or , copying minatureninja...., these might look cool ....

Attachments

• BD105071-8B55-41FB-A3C0-39EAF4FF8E30.png
    BD105071-8B55-41FB-A3C0-39EAF4FF8E30.png
    670.5 KB · Views: 225
Either of those coils should work on the 350 or 360 models. Mounting could be an issue, but the electrics look correct.

Thanks Matt

Interestingly i experimented this afternoon by swapping the yellow and blue driver leads and then the plug caps, to see if the missfire changed sides.

The missfire went away and the bike ran smoothly.

I conclude its a broken ht lead core, would you agree?

Might replace the coils anyway, but do you have any experience of replacing the ‘non-replaceable’ ht wire on the original coils.

I’m thinking to dig out the old sealant and expose whatever copper junction os in there, solder on new copper cored ht lead and job done ??

Nothing to lose really so might rip one apart tomorrow :)

Steve

I vaguely recall a thread (some years ago) on someone replacing the leads on these coils. If I remember correctly, it was successful, but also pretty time consuming.

I've replaced all the wires on the stock coil. The HT (spark plug) leads are just epoxied in from the factory. If you remove the epoxy and pull the wire, what you'll find is a hole with a screw-type stud similar to the stud inside the plastic spark plug caps. You don't want to bend it. You can buy new plug wires and push them on to those leads, then epoxy them in. Just be sure to use an epoxy that is resistant to engine and coil temperatures so it's not getting brittle in a short amount of time. I also re-soldered the power and points wire connections.

c16050056afd4d860037a3090111fcb2.jpg

96d07edff6d7109c1a92c890f6f000c0.jpg

6da1abcb9d6787e9f738f9a8fea7d429.jpg

f825f4cecd33e12d56635bc4c8817fdd.jpg

irk miller said:
I've replaced all the wires on the stock coil. The HT (spark plug) leads are just epoxied in from the factory. If you remove the epoxy and pull the wire, what you'll find is a hole with a screw-type stud similar to the stud inside the plastic spark plug caps. You don't want to bend it. You can buy new plug wires and push them on to those leads, then epoxy them in. Just be sure to use an epoxy that is resistant to engine and coil temperatures so it's not getting brittle in a short amount of time. I also re-soldered the power and points wire connections.

c16050056afd4d860037a3090111fcb2.jpg

96d07edff6d7109c1a92c890f6f000c0.jpg

6da1abcb9d6787e9f738f9a8fea7d429.jpg

f825f4cecd33e12d56635bc4c8817fdd.jpg

Damn good job Eric.

I'm gonna bookmark this thread.

Thanks Sonreir for the info.

And thanks Billyp for the thread.

So, i’ve replaced the ht wires and epoxied them in, will leave overnight to dry.

I tested the plug caps and thier resitance measured 10k on one and 8.7k on the other.

I thought these should be 5k ?

I also looked at the clearance between the points connections and the cover, there seems to be a good 5mm of clearance, but other threads refer to issues with the points shorting out, is this a real issue?

Steve

The points shorting is a pretty common issue because of the way people screw in the connector at the base of the point spring. Resistor caps gain resistance as they get older. They basically burn out. If they're supposed to be 5k, then it sounds like you need new caps.

Coils rebuilt with all new wires, including nice red ht leads because red leads work better as everyone knows :)

Problem persists

One cylinder runs great the other very roughly

So i swap the condenser connections and the problem moves
Swap the condenser connections and it moves back

B I N G O !

I hate condensers, years ago had an intermittent running problem od a speedboat with a big v8 in it, spent weeks tracking the problem to a failing condenser !

So off to the shop this morning to see if they have something suitable......

Red HT leads look nice though !

Steve

Back
Top Bottom