CB750K - First Build

Hey all,

so I ended up having to drill into the bottom bolt of my forks...couldnt source out an impact driver...one twist of an allen key and boom, stripped....so ended drilling the bolts out with little problem actually besides my drill running out of battery and having to wait to charge it for a bit.. oh well time for a beer. So once i got the bolt out, theoretically from all the research and the manuals I have, the stantion should just slide out...but its not.
Am I missing something? I have removed the springs, the damper, the dust seal the the circlip...dont think I can remove much else...any help on this would be appreiciated! oh also, it sounds like something is loose on the lower end of the fork on the inside? could whatever that may be be holding the stantion in?

couple pictures just to keep it interesting

Attachments

• Fork bolt.jpg
    Fork bolt.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 913
  • Rod and Fork.jpg
    Rod and Fork.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 914
Fork tubes should just slide out past the seal once everything else is out. Puller harder. ;)

I think the rear axle on my 900 was pretty well stuck in the bearings. I shot some penetrating spray on both sided and let it soak then went after it with a wood block and a big hammer. If the axle is crusty you'll probably have to use a long ratchet extension or other sturdy rod to knock it all the way out.
Just try not to mash any of the first few threads.
Keep at it. These are fun bikes!

LBC said:
Fork tubes should just slide out past the seal once everything else is out. Puller harder. ;)

I think the rear axle on my 900 was pretty well stuck in the bearings. I shot some penetrating spray on both sided and let it soak then went after it with a wood block and a big hammer. If the axle is crusty you'll probably have to use a long ratchet extension or other sturdy rod to knock it all the way out.
Just try not to mash any of the first few threads.
Keep at it. These are fun bikes!

thanks for the tips LBC!
soaked the rear axle so will give it another shot in a day or two when I get the time
and ya got the forks apart..super weird concept of just slamming them apart just doesnt seem right but oh well haha gave her a nice tug and pop out they came
cant wait to see how fun this bike will be!

Hey guys..

so yesterday was like a small christmas!

got two shipments on the same day. one from DCC and the other from Z1.

got a set of clubmans, turn signals, new choke cable, flasher relay, headlight mounting brackets, set of engine bolts, and Rick's reg/rec!

exciting times indeed..still waiting on the rear loop tho so hopefully that shows up soon so I can make some more progress on the frame side of things.

and for anyone who didnt know that you really have to pull hard to get the forks apart on a cb750...well you do haha it seems so weird and I was skeptical of the advice and research I did on thats all it takes.. I thought I must have still be missing something..but I wasnt and a couple hard pulls got the bushing to pop out.. so now just been sanding the lower fork legs down to get some minor surface rust out and getting it ready to prime and paint. hopefully will do that in the next couple days.

might start trying to bondo some small dents and the tank badges on the gas tank but for now, its a waiting game for that rear loop!

happy building everyone!

Attachments

• Goodies.jpg
    Goodies.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 301
  • Stantion.jpg
    Stantion.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Bottom forks.jpg
    Bottom forks.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 1,182
I sent you a PM about your forks and some Racetech stuff I have, if you are interested

ShaggyPit said:
thanks for the tips LBC!
cant wait to see how fun this bike will be!

All kinds of fun....

DSC_5665-M.jpg

All kinds...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Z4ZRW2X-k
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cVyrmAWSI8o

quick update

vancouver is having awesome weather lately so got out today to prime the lower forks

I have been playing with the idea of maybe painting them the same color as the tank..an olive drab green
the primer I am using is a similar green and I was wondering what you guys would think if this look on the bike would work?

my girlfriend says it would clash too much...I say it has a chance....but then again I have no sense of fashion or artistic sense

opinions?

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 951
got the lower forks painted black...they have been curing for a couple days now.
does anybody recommend clear coating these? i feel like I should but I dont want to take away the matt finish of it and I do have a satin clear coat but havent tried it just yet i was going to test it on some smaller pieces. Anyone have any experience with this? I believe the brand was rustoleum but cant remember at the moment.

also applied the first bit of bondo to some of the smaller dents on the tank, checked it today but didnt snag a picture but it seemed to have worked...may have applied too much but figured more is better than less and that i can just sand it down. first time using this stuff and it was crazy how quickly i could feel it hardening while i was applying it to the tank. practice makes perfect. hopefully I will be able to use this bondo to fill in the tank badges as well. im guessing it will be hard to smooth those over to the contours of the tank but we shall see. any advice on this is appreciated!

thats all for now!

Attachments

• Black Fork.jpg
    Black Fork.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 867
  • First Bondo.jpg
    First Bondo.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 891
Media blasting is the fastest way to strip chrome from the wheels. It'd be worth it to pay someone with a blast cabinet to hit them with glass bead blast. It'll strip the chrome and leave the finish nice for paint without having to "prep" the metal. Progressive rate springs and/or emulators in the front end will significantly improve the 750's front end. Rear suspension is pretty bad stock as well, might want to think about adjustable shocks. If you're sticking with the stock swinger, I can tell you from experience, a 150 wide tire is the biggest that will fit without getting dangerously close to the swing arm, and I'll just go ahead and say I loved my Pirelli Sport Demons, they really fit the bike, and it's weight, well. Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on the brakes. These bikes are heavy and need as much stopping power as you can muster. Check out my build thread, I swapped over an entire front end from a CB750SC and got dual front discs and air adjustable front suspension. I grabbed the entire thing, with both wheels, from a junkyard for less than $150.

Couple of go to sites:
bikebandit.com
motorcyclesuperstore.com
vintagecb750.com (shite-ton of parts)
treatland.tv (scooter site but loads of universal parts)

Jewbacca said:
Media blasting is the fastest way to strip chrome from the wheels. It'd be worth it to pay someone with a blast cabinet to hit them with glass bead blast. It'll strip the chrome and leave the finish nice for paint without having to "prep" the metal. Progressive rate springs and/or emulators in the front end will significantly improve the 750's front end. Rear suspension is pretty bad stock as well, might want to think about adjustable shocks. If you're sticking with the stock swinger, I can tell you from experience, a 150 wide tire is the biggest that will fit without getting dangerously close to the swing arm, and I'll just go ahead and say I loved my Pirelli Sport Demons, they really fit the bike, and it's weight, well. Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on the brakes. These bikes are heavy and need as much stopping power as you can muster. Check out my build thread, I swapped over an entire front end from a CB750SC and got dual front discs and air adjustable front suspension. I grabbed the entire thing, with both wheels, from a junkyard for less than $150.

Thanks Jewbacca! There is a DIY media blasting place about 10 minutes from I where I live, great guys there and will most likely take the rims to them and give it a go to clean them up. Good to know that once they are blasted that they will be essentially prepped, however I will prob give them a quick scrub with a scotch brite pad and a quick rinse as well before painting. I am looking into getting new rear shocks, most likely hagon's since they seem to be the best regarding quality and price without going overkill for something like a pair of Ohlin's. Front end I would like to upgrade but can only do so as budget allows so that may have to wait a bit. I do like the idea of the dual discs on the front and will have to search around for that front end. Unfortunately, there doesnt seem to be any great junkyards in my neck of the woods. Everyone on here seems to find great deals at local scrappers but I havent been that lucky as of yet. Thanks for the advice on the tires as well!

In terms of the front suspension, I am looking at getting progressive springs, but again, may have to hold off just for a short while on those, I have been looking into putting a spacer into the forks (PVC), I know this is not a performance upgrade by any means, just something cheap that I may try. But since I am graduating this month and will be looking for a "real" job, my funds may be more friendly in the upcoming months.

Thanks for the great advice again Jewbacca.

Back
Top Bottom