www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Yet another SR250 Tracker UK Build  (Read 11062 times)

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
Re: Yet another SR250 Tracker UK Build
« Reply #60 on: Nov 26, 2017, 16:04:46 »
Great this project is on again!

The small bolt is your oil check bolt - that's why it's got the copper sealing washer.  It goes in the head on the spark plug side.

The larger bolt is the oil filter cover drain bolt - the lower of the three bolts that hold that cover in place.

Offline vortexracing

« Reply #61 on: Nov 26, 2017, 17:11:16 »
Cheers Jadus :)

I think I have already installed the oil check bolt, is it the one that sits right next to a cylinder head bolt? its an M5 where as the small one in the photo looks like M4

It serves me right for not doing the bolt plating in bits. I dropped them all off with the platers and they all got mixed up.

Is the threaded hole in the head in the photo for some bikes that have a tacho fitted do you know? and as such nothing goes in there for my bike?

Hopefully engine will be fully built in a couple of weeks. Might try and source a new carb mounting rubber as the old one looks a bit rough.

Then its battery tray and seat next.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2017, 02:11:42 by vortexracing »

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #62 on: Nov 27, 2017, 19:31:12 »
Correct with the oil check bolt in the head.  The only remaining one with a copper washer like that is the one on top of the oil filter cover - used to drain the oil from that cavity when changing oil filter.  This would make sense becuase your other mystery bolt was from the same part/location.

Yes, some of the later model SR's (even most from the Spanish factory) had a tacho drive off the cam shaft - meaning a hole in the head for that.  But it is not threaded, it just had a pressed in bearing then the cable has an oring on a plug with the wire running through it.

Yeah, double check the carb boot rubber - sucks to get an air leak there that only shows itself when the engine is warm - messing up all you carb setting work.

Offline vortexracing

« Reply #63 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:28:19 »
Cheers, after much Googling last night (and before you replied) I noticed the bolt in the oil filter cover   :)

So that's that mystery sorted, thanks for the help.

The hole in my head is threaded, its the one in the picture, just above the centreline of the cam. It is behind the top cam pulley, it looks like about an M5 thread.

My casting has the tacho take-off blanked off, ie not machined.

cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2017, 12:30:45 by vortexracing »

Offline C717

« Reply #64 on: Dec 08, 2017, 20:42:34 »
Great thread to read, any update?

I've just signed up looking for advice and inspiration on an SR tracker I'm just planning. Do you have a list of part suppliers you've used so far? Quite hard to come by in the UK.

Currently toying with longer rear shocks and whether the mikuno vm32 carb is worth the swap!