Vin for Older 70s CB, how should it look?

Supreme

Hey guys looking at picking up a frame for a build, and this will be my first vintage bike. I have no idea how a vin should look for a early 70 CB500. I contacted the owner to get the vin just so I could do a check on it and make sure its not reported stolen or anything. He emailed me back with a vin that looked like so cb500-100xxxx (dont want to share it, sorry). I tried looking up the vin on carfax but nothing is found. Is there any place I could get this checked or is this not the correct format?

Thank you

Why would you want to start your first project with a frame that clearly has no title?
Terrible plan.

Buy a stock bike and ride it for a while.

Prior to 1981, Honda used a VIN that started with a model code, then a sequential number. So, if it were CB500- 1004750 it would be #4750 produced that year. You can get the VIN run at your local sheriff's office.

my 68 350 is CB350-101**** as someone else stated they started with the model number.

Buying a bike or frame without a title can be tricky. In Ohio, getting a title from a bill of sale is different in every county. You start by having the state run the vin to check if it's clear (not stolen) which the BMV did over the phone for me. Records here only go back 8 years. In Cuyahoga county you need an attorney and pay a retainer. In Summit Country it's not nearly as difficult but still requires inspections and 3 different court visits during the process. Oh and here they wont inspect a frame, only a complete bike. So you have to build the whole thing and then what if they won't issue you a title? Some inspections they check to make sure the motor number matches the frame, if it doesn't youre SOL.

I'm in the middle of changing my title to reflect the correct year of the bike. What a pain. If I could do it again I'd just find the correctly titled frame. I highly suggest paying the extra cash and just starting with a titled frame.

In TN you can get a title for anything over 10 years old with a signature... Basically, but if it comes back stolen... ever you are liable. Get the vin checked.

Supreme said:
I tried looking up the vin on carfax but nothing is found. Is there any place I could get this checked or is this not the correct format?

Good advice/comments so far. I'm just wondering what the limitations are for something like carfax on old bikes. I've never looked up a bike, and only used it once to buy a truck. Never been fucked by buying a stolen bike, either, I should add.

runmikeyrun said:
my 68 350 is CB350-101**** as someone else stated they started with the model number.

Buying a bike or frame without a title can be tricky. In Ohio, getting a title from a bill of sale is different in every county. You start by having the state run the vin to check if it's clear (not stolen) which the BMV did over the phone for me. Records here only go back 8 years. In Cuyahoga county you need an attorney and pay a retainer. In Summit Country it's not nearly as difficult but still requires inspections and 3 different court visits during the process. Oh and here they wont inspect a frame, only a complete bike. So you have to build the whole thing and then what if they won't issue you a title? Some inspections they check to make sure the motor number matches the frame, if it doesn't youre SOL.

I'm in the middle of changing my title to reflect the correct year of the bike. What a pain. If I could do it again I'd just find the correctly titled frame. I highly suggest paying the extra cash and just starting with a titled frame.

if it is not stolen and out of the computer just tell the drones at the dmv that it belongs to you and always has and that you lost the title...

Back
Top Bottom