Honda CL450 "Black and Tan"

Just depends on how much they have to cut the valve seats to get the valves to seal. Ideally they need to remove the same amount from the valve stem. You can bring pretty much the entire head and have the ability to measure things once they are done before it leaves the shop. Should be able to have plenty of adjustment, but still be able to get the clearance correct.

There is zero room for extra length, you can actually use up quite a bit just lapping the valves on a higher mileage engine.

450's have different type of valve train Tune, there's actually quite a bit of valve sticking out of the retainer.

I should mention that you can have the seats replaced entirely, there is some debate that the older seats are not suitable for running unleaded gas anyway.

Re: Honda CL450 "Black and Tan"

Tune a fish, this is a 450 head and looks nothing like that. It has torsion bar springs. The problem isn't valve float, but the geometry of the adjustable cam follower.

It isn't really a big deal, I just wanted to warn hondamaha about it ahead of time. I wish I had known before I reassembled my engine only to find out I couldn't adjust the valves anymore. But I had just given my head casting to my mech and had him recut the seats. Maybe he didn't know about the clearance issues.

END OF LINE

Thanks to all of you for the replies this helps. So to sum it up. I am going to take it to hums and ask him to be mindful of how much he cuts because there isn't much clearance. If he has to remove a lot and not just re lap them....then ask him to remove the same amount from the top of the valves. I also will ask about price to replace the seats entirely.

I wish I knew of a vintage motorcycle shop in Birmingham. In the past I have taken my stuff to a place called "engine rebuilders" but they are used to cars and trucks. They do good work but don't usually touch motorcycle engines, especially not vintage

Yes, but you can't get the seats replaced, they are machined into the head. Also, even a small amount of machining on the seats will require valve modification.

You are in Alabama? We can help you find a good shop there. I know a few people.

END OF LINE

Yup: Tor Ton bars Duke style... two times in two days... I was on the wrong motor... they say reading IS fun de Mental. Still cant grind the buggars till the keepers pop off lol... effing valves that suck up have no guidance.

450-head-03.jpg

I just checked in with Miley and he recommended a guy and member joe weaver down in mobile. Sounds good to me. I'd rather have it in the hands of someone who knows what a cl450 is.

Flugtechnik said:
Yes, but you can't get the seats replaced, they are machined into the head. Also, even a small amount of machining on the seats will require valve modification.

You are in Alabama? We can help you find a good shop there. I know a few people.

END OF LINE

Yeah actually according to a fellow on HT that builds A LOT of 450 engines, you can, I've had seats replaced as well on older engines, they have to machine out the old seat and press in new hardened ones. Had that done on my old 50 dodge pickup so it could run unleaded.

Judging by what I've seen on here, Joe knows what he is doing.

END OF LINE

Back
Top Bottom