75 Yamaha DT400 build

Thanks Loctite. hydroforming was really fun. im making a pipe for my vintage arctic cat this way too. not that hard really. Awesome Honda CB by the way.

I had one issue I finally solved, running all LED turn signals without load resistors. I am using a tiny 12v 3 Ah lithium ion battery in the bike and its only needs to run the LED tail light and turn signals. but every flasher relay ive tried dose not work right at all. they say LED specific but they fail. so after searching all arounf the web I found some guys that modified the CF13 realy by changing the R2 resistor. so I tried that out and founf if I replaced the R2 on the board in the relay with a 1.3 M ohm it worked perfectly, no load resistors of conventional lights at all in the circuit.
I wasted a bunch on other LED specific turn relays and they either lit the lights constant or buzzed or did nothing. this was fairly easy of a fix and they draw so little amps I can keep my little compact battery.

Hey motorman, sorry to hear about the annoying turn signal situation.

For future reference, I highly recommend investing on one of the m-Gadget m-Flash digital relays. It is load protected, handles all types of blinkers - bulbs and LEDs and is easy as piss to install. Plus, its tiny! I have it installed on two of my bikes now. Not super cheap, but by the time you add up your installation time and wasted flashers/blinkers, its worth it I rekon.

http://motogadget.com/en/electrics/digital-flasher-relay-m-flash/m-flash-blinkrelais.html

Hey thanks Jadus
i did not know about those flashers. they look like the perfect fix for all LED signals. ive talked to a lot of guys who have had this issue and end up with load resistors or conventional lights in the circuit.
i like the idea of low power draw from my tail, brake and turn signals as my battery can be tiny, with no electric start at least.

I guess I wasn't finished messing with the pipe. I decided to change the shape so I cut it up, made a new silencer and a fatter mid and then messed with jetting some more. made it legal . the pilot jet is giving me a hard time. wont settle down well even though ive gone richer on it.

Why did you decide to re-work the pipe? Did you get to ride it enough to determine you wanted some tuning changes?
Looks even better than before though - I did wonder about it being so skinny.
Love the bike - been wanting to do something similar.

I changed the pipe to try a different formula. the original one I made was for a lower rpm torque, at least according to the software. this pipe dose help the midrange a little better but it needs the right jetting still.

iatethepeach said:
The paint looks nice. What brand did you use?

thanks man. I used duplicolor for the silver base coat and then same brand clear blue anodized look over the base. and then k2000 2 part clear. looks great in the sun

This just keeps getting better and better! I also remember having problems with my pilot jet. Its tough to get it exactly right because there's such a strong vacuum signal on this big single. I think I ended up messing with the clip position on the needle a lot as well. Lots and lots of runs up and down a straight road just feeling how it pulls. Was good fun but time consuming ;)

Back
Top Bottom