CB450-From Chobbler to Tracker

FerousBastard said:
I'll second this. Why some people 'build' bikes like what it was originally is beyond me. Definitely dig the direction you are taking it. Have you checked the rear wheel clears that crossbar at full bottom?

Yes I've checked for clearance. We're good to go.

I want to swap over to a single carb on this bike. I've been looking at the Mikuni VM carbs and am thinking a 38 would be good, but I'm not sure. What's the opinion?

dieselchanic said:
I want to swap over to a single carb on this bike. I've been looking at the Mikuni VM carbs and am thinking a 38 would be good, but I'm not sure. What's the opinion?
Out of my everyday useable knowledge, but I suspect there is a volumetric formula for how much air/fuel you need to supply to keep it optimally running. I bet wherever you buy a carb could help you with that. I bet PJ may be the one to ask.

That's some pretty wiring and electrical box you made there. Did you make little cubbies for the ignition and battery? Got any pics of the sides?

theatermove.gif

I'm only on the fifth-post and I can say right now that even if you lit the thing on fire, stenciled Harley graphics on it and pitched it with a catapult into the Atlantic, at least it was redeemed from its wretched prior form.

There should be a program that rescues bikes and restores them to something greater than even their factory state. Call it Moto Rescue and banish arrogant hipsters like Aaron Kaufman from the cast and throw THAT on History channel. "We don't tell history any more, but I mean it sounds cool when you tell others that you actually enjoy watching the History Channel though..."

Proceed.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I don't have any real good pics of the drop down box that houses the switches and battery but you can kind of see it in these two.

I'm mostly concerned about the sizing of the carb, although I know it can be tuned in even if it's not sized exactly right. I'm thinking either a 36mm or 38mm but leaning towards the larger just to be safe.

Redliner said:
Why? CV's?

1. It's got independent vacuum carbs with a 1-2 throttle cable which is a giant pain.

2. I've been wanting to do a single carbed twin for a while now and this is a perfect candidate.

3. I'm building this for my little brother as his first bike and a trouble free single carb seems like a good idea.

4. Mostly just to see if I can...

A single carb on a 180° twin? It ain't worth it. Honda already did the years of trial and error for you and decided that with their 360° Dream, a single carb was fine, but with the 180° Superhawk, it was dual.

Redliner said:
A single carb on a 180° twin? It ain't worth it. Honda already did the years of trial and error for you and decided that with their 360° Dream, a single carb was fine, but with the 180° Superhawk, it was dual.
I have a dream packed away in a shed and also found a superhawk head way back in the day too. I never knew that they had different cranks as well! I thought about doing a head swap for some extra oomph. Now I will reconsider.

Keep in mind that the 180° Superhawk wasn't the only option, I was pointing that out as an example. All Superhawks have dual carbs, but some are 180° cranks and others 360°. I believe PJ and Teazer will tell you about swapping the heads between CA's and CB's.

The way to remember the difference is that on the points cover, it will say Type I or Type II. Type I will have one cylinder at top at any time. Type II will have two cylinders at top at any time. Figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom