One time offer

10000rpm

1972 CB350F
...you only get to do something the first time once...so here's my first post!

I am in Vermont, USA, enduring the beginning of the cold, dark months. I acquired a 73 CB350F in August that hadn't run since 1994 which is I think when it was last crashed. It was painted and running by September. I've still got a few things to sort out (carbs) and making it run like a clock, but in September and early October I also came up with three more CB350Fs, one running and two in carbboard boxes. Plus a CB400F motor complete with the swoopy pipes. I really think that needs to be warmed up a little with a lightened crankshaft, cam, maybe some CRs and a 450 overbore.

Read a lot of stuff on here from yahoo and got sick of not being able to search. Plus I have a question I can't find the answer to, so I joined up.

The question? Are the CB350F cranks actually the same as the CB400F cranks? It appears that they take the same bearing part numbers, but that's all I can get from the Honda manual.

I have a spare crank for a 350 that looks good. I'd like to send it out for lightening and balancing for use in the CB400 motor and keep the original in cosmoline. But I am unsure it will work without disassembling the 400F which time isn't allowing for a while (away for work) but want to start getting stuff together for when I can put some time in.

Anyone know this works or has done it?

Thanks.

I do not know but I like the way you think. Somebody will be along soon to give you the scoop.

Welcome to the boards.

Fill me in on the whole 'Yahoo' thing and not being able to search. Welcome!

Tim,

I think he was saying that he was searching for his answers on yahoo and most of his search inquires were turning up DTT results.

He couldn't search the forums because he was not a member.

Result= He is now a member so that he can search the forums instead of yahoo.

J.Webster Designs said:
Tim,
I think he was saying that he was searching for his answers on yahoo and most of his search inquires were turning up DTT results.
He couldn't search the forums because he was not a member.
Result= He is now a member so that he can search the forums instead of yahoo.

That's right

I found a cleaner crank than mine on the web. Guy selling it says it's the same part number on his 'fische' and I did some looking and that may be correct but I would like someone with a few of these motors behind them to confirm. Interesting thing- I may need to go within 100 miles of the place that can modify these cranks.
Thanks.

Welcome to DTT man. This is a great forum with many people on here that really know their shit.. I don't believe there should be any issue with the crank swap that you are thinking about doing since, as you said, all of the bearings and parts #s are the same. However, having never done it, I can't speak to all of the little pain in the ass problems that arise during projects. I'm sure someone on here has done something similar on here though... Maybe take your question to the 'Engine' portion of the forums so one of the Jedi-Masters that watch that particular section of the forum.. The user Teazer is like a walking motorcycle encyclopedia man, he really helped me quite a bit when I was new to the site and to motorcycles in general. Best of luck man.

Thanks. I'll give the Jedi some questions.
In the meantime, my brought-back-to-life CB350F dog took me for a walk over the weekend while it went to its winter hibernation

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 198
carnivorous chicken said:
yep, same crank, will work.

Thanks. It appears that way for sure. I just wanted to prepare and I was also hesitant to have a 400 crank machined if they were as difficult to obtain as other 400-specific stuff. Fortunately that's not too many items.

Plus I don't even know the condition of my 400 until I dissassemble it. Probably fine but nice to just go ahead and have everything on hand before I start. Then if I have to let it languish for a month or two I won't have to refresh my memory- just do segments to completion... The only thing I'll have wait on that way will be bearings after I plastigauge stuff.

Vocation sure can interrupt the continuity of avocations.

Back
Top Bottom