Sr250 Tracker

\_(ツ)_/¯ Shows how much I know about motorcycle tires. Guess I'll be finding others but these will have to do for now. having a hard time finding and 3.00 18" tube tires that aren't sold as "vintage replacement". Any suggestions? Not dying would be pretty cool.

jjacks31 said:
Roxy here is my first motorcycle
This is becoming very apparent.

You dont buy tires because they look cool in a picture. You buy tires because they keep your ass hooked to the ground. One time pulling that front brake too hard and down it goes with zero warning.

Get street tires man. Street tires.

You have this huge amazing wonderful group of experienced riders and builders here. Start asking questions about what to do next, weigh the advice, and make an informed choice. You wont regret it.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/avon-roadrider-am26-tires

90-19_detail.jpg

Well I hoped that it would be apparent that It is my first bike by clearly posting that exact sentiment. I chose the tires I did because I want to use this bike for on road and light off road use (fire trails etc) which is why I didn't look for street tires. I have heard great things about the rears from other members on here but was taking a shot in the dark when it came to the fronts. I am bound to make many more mistakes on this build so I would appreciate instead of criticizing my uninformed decisions just inform me! I already know I have no clue what I'm doing.

Thanks Deviant for the suggestion, but I'm looking for a tire that would be better suited to a little bit of dual sporting.

jjacks31 said:
Well I hoped that it would be apparent that It is my first bike by clearly posting that exact sentiment. I chose the tires I did because I want to use this bike for on road and light off road use (fire trails etc) which is why I didn't look for street tires. I have heard great things about the rears from other members on here but was taking a shot in the dark when it came to the fronts. I am bound to make many more mistakes on this build so I would appreciate instead of criticizing my uninformed decisions just inform me! I already know I have no clue what I'm doing.

Thanks Deviant for the suggestion, but I'm looking for a tire that would be better suited to a little bit of dual sporting.
Ah yes criticism. Not to be inflicted upon this flock of freshly hatched butterflies, even if it saves their life in the process. My sincere apologies.

Tire recommendations forthcoming. Thank you good sir, if it pleases you.

I'm all for criticism and It's a huge part of what I do, but it's pretty useless unless you provide it constructively. Thanks to you now I know that front is genuinely a not safe tire for the street (proper thank you for that one) but I'm back to square one and don't know what to do. That's why I was slightly annoyed. Let me know about those front suggestions though. Very interested. Are there any good online recourses to learn about the different types of tires/theory behind them besides the over hyped marketing stuff the companies put out?

Would you be so kind as to provide your wheel sizes, my good fellow?

I don't see the year of your motorcycle mentioned anywhere in this thread, did I miss it? Pardon me if the information has been offered, in that case it would be easier for me to spend my time and share my resources, for free, searching availability for tires that will fit your wheels and help your bike perform as it should in your particular application. If you could spare the trouble of listing that information it would be wonderful, just wonderful.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to provide you with experienced insight.

I run Shinko 705 on my Honda XL dual sport. It handles very well (for what it is) on pavement, and does reasonably well on dirt. I've taken that bike on pretty aggressive single track, and the tires did just fine. 70% or so of my riding is done on fire roads and pipeline trails in Sumter National Forest. For street, the best bang for the buck might be an Avon Roadrider like I linked above.

deviant said:
I run Shinko 705 on my Honda XL dual sport. It handles very well (for what it is) on pavement, and does reasonably well on dirt. I've taken that bike on pretty aggressive single track, and the tires did just fine. 70% or so of my riding is done on fire roads and pipeline trails in Sumter National Forest. For street, the best bang for the buck might be an Avon Roadrider like I linked above.

Good to know. Thanks!

Sorry, I'm running 700's on the dual sport. The 705 isn't quite as aggressive.

jjacks31 said:
Well as much fun as it is keep watching the carb cleaning wars that are unfolding, I think I will end up replacing the carb with a VM Mikuni 34mm.

So, do you know what jets to use in that carb? Do you know you have to convert the the throttle cable?

Keep the BS34 on there. Yes, clean the shit out of your carb. Lots. It still won't be clean. enough. These bikes really are sensitive to a clean carb since it's a single carb and only 250CC. Clean it again, and again. The Seafoam is used at the END of the process. It's not meant to clean the carb. I does dislodge some shit in the passages that you have loosened from using lots and lots of carb cleaner along with the welding tip cleaner. Just try it, my bike after around 2000kms wakes up and starts much easier once some seafoam is in it.

You're front wheel is an 18. Get an enduro tire on the front.

If you are absolutely adamant about running a VM carb, pm me and I can help you with the jets.

So looks like I wont be without my car until June now which really gives me time to hopefully do this right. Emptied the tank today and gas was a bit yellow but the inside of the tank seems pretty clean and rust free. there is no signs of rust on the top and the fuel line filter is clean so I think it was just bad gas. In light of my 7 month time frame to make this bike safe and reliable I have made a list of thing to do. feel free to chime in.

Essentials:
Replace fork oil
Rear Turn signals (broken mounts, will replace ugly signals with new ones)
Service Chain
Clean the bajeesus out of carb
Replace stripped screws with hex hardware
New engine seals
Oil change
New Spark plug
New Battery (doesn't hold charge for more than 4 days atm)
Replace tires
New Grips
Rear brake light (doesn't change intensity under braking)

Non essentials/cosmetic:
New fork springs
matching turn signals
Trim down front fender
paint front and rear fender black
Smaller LED front headlight
Detab Frame
New seat
Rear frame loop
Repaint tank
New controls
Longe travel rear shocks

Am I missing anything?

cosworth said:
If you are absolutely adamant about running a VM carb, pm me and I can help you with the jets.

Now that I have a lot more time to work with I'm less committed to replacing the carb instead of working with it, but I'll be sure to let you know if I want to go the VM carb route. Thanks for the advice!

More $.02. If you're going to use this thing as primary transportation there are things you should reconsider. CV carbs were developed because of their superior performance on the street. They aren't as sensitive to minute movements of your hand on the throttle as the VM carb.

If you're riding this thing every day, how often are you really going to ride all the way up here and get on a forest service road? I expect once, maybe twice. The ride up 400 on that thing won't be any fun. I agree that the street tires are the right choice. Think again about cutting the fender. In inclement weather, a cut-down fender is going to suck. Buy a shorty fender from Motolanna or someplace. Fender swap takes a minute or five.

Are you replacing screws with socket heads? Be advised that you can get a lot more torque on a socket head than a cross point. It makes it easy to strip threads. It isn't a problem, just something you have to be aware of.

Those springs should be moved from the cosmetic list. If you take the forks apart to clean them up, that's the best time to change springs. Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock, GA will fix you up for about $100. If you install linear springs, you can add P&D valves later. Also, Fast from the Past in Atlanta may have a fork brace to fit that thing. Properly set up suspension is a safety item. Originally, it was one size fits all and now it's old, too.

Get everything working properly before you do cosmetic stuff.

yamaha-sr250.jpg

Be prepared buddy, I can't fake it forever.

jjacks31 said:
So looks like I wont be without my car until June now which really gives me time to hopefully do this right.

Don't let that talk you into tearing the whole thing apart. You need to ride the damn thing while it's running well for a while to determine what you'll need.

jjacks31 said:
Emptied the tank today and gas was a bit yellow but the inside of the tank seems pretty clean and rust free. there is no signs of rust on the top and the fuel line filter is clean so I think it was just bad gas.

You should have checked this first. This isn't a motorcycle thing it's a common sense thing.

jjacks31 said:
In light of my 7 month time frame to make this bike safe and reliable I have made a list of thing to do. feel free to chime in.

Lists are good. Don't tear the bike apart.

jjacks31 said:
Essentials:
Replace fork oil Rebuild the forks with new bushings and seals and the proper springs for my weight, then add the proper amount of quality fork oil

Rear Turn signals (broken mounts, will replace ugly signals with new ones)

Service ChainBuy a new, quality chain and sprocket set.

Carefully Clean the bajeesus out of carb

Replace stripped screws with hex hardware See jetmechs advice

New engine sealsLeave the engine alone because I have not the slightest clue

Oil change should have been done the first day

New Spark plug NGK ONLY

New Battery Fully test the charging system and check for constant load, broken wires, etc. ( battery doesn't hold charge for more than 4 days atm)

Replace tires with recommendations from the fine folks at DTT

New Grips

Rear brake light (doesn't change intensity under braking)

jjacks31 said:
Non essentials/cosmetic:
New fork springs should be on the list above

matching turn signals

Trim down front fender after I ride the bike in the rain a few times so I am sure it is a good idea

paint front and rear fender black

Smaller LED front headlight

Detab Frame

New seat

Rear frame loop

Repaint tank

Hope that someday I have the skills and knowledge to perform the tasks that have been crossed out above in a manner that will improve my motorcycle instead of turning it into a hipstermobile

New controls

Longer travel rear shocks is the best idea I've had all day

jjacks31 said:
Am I missing anything?
Oh I don't know, how about brakes for starters. When you skip over that one, there's some more thinkin' to do.

One thing at a time dude. Start doing the maintenance tasks and posting up your progress on that. I'm seeing somebody that is on the fence about diving into a project he can't handle. Just take it easy and move forward, not backward.

I strongly concur with the previous message.

There has to be a difference between a bike you're going to ride every day vs. one you ride to various bike nights at Atlanta coffee houses to attract attention of onlookers. You will need to compromise there. BTW, I think the SR250 is a good bike for either mission.

Yeah I guess I'll have to make some compromises there, but I'm pro hipster bike. I'll be returning the tires when they get here for some street ones. I was planning on doing the longer rears because of the dual sport aspect but man reality is a bitch.

Back
Top Bottom