www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler  (Read 21235 times)

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
Re: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler
« Reply #40 on: Jul 15, 2016, 19:10:02 »
Wheels look great. I like that style a lot, the 550 has the slightly less cooler and more 80's version of those  :'(
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
« Reply #41 on: Jul 16, 2016, 09:38:11 »
Wheels look great. I like that style a lot, the 550 has the slightly less cooler and more 80's version of those  :'(
I have to agree with you there, they are a neat style for the late 70's/early 80's.  I'll be selling the original 19" front and 16" rear wheels if someone were looking for them.   :P

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #42 on: Jul 29, 2016, 09:35:12 »
A few more progress pictures to share with the community  :)  Things have started to come back together now after stripping the frame bare and blasting and painting.  A fair amount of time has been spent lately just reassembling things.  Also got the front forks shined back up and clear-coated.

Spent some time researching new controls for the bike.  Several new parts have been ordered including: Bar risers, handlebars, left and right hand controls, clutch lever with switch, brake-lever with master cylinder, headlight & mount, fork boots.  I've mounted them but they aren't necessarily in their final position and they'll still need to be wired up.  Just mostly check fit and clearance and making sure they make sense with where the bike is heading.

I put the primered tank and seat back on to see how things were shaping up, but it's really hard to tell with out the engine in place.  The gaping hole in the center of the frame makes all the other dimensions look a bit weird to me.  I'm thinking it will all come together when the engine is back in its home.  You'll have to use your imagination a bit for the time being  :P

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #43 on: Aug 15, 2016, 00:16:42 »
It's been a busy last couple of weeks for me but I've got some progress shots to share with anyone interested.

I've put some time into getting the engine cleaned back up to a more presentable state.  Lots of time with cleaners and tiny brushes.  The fresh paint is high temp. & oil resistant via rattlecan.  The edges of the fins were polished up and also sealed with high temp. clear coat.

The majority of the Phillips-head bolts have been replaced with SS hex.  Also got some replacement acorn nuts for the tops of the cylinder head studs.

Offline PhillyThump

« Reply #44 on: Aug 15, 2016, 09:47:59 »
Engine looks great! So does the build so far.

Can I ask how you masked your polished bits? I'm trying to do something similar and I keep coming up with complicated ways to get the mask right, but wondering if it's just as simple as being careful with your tape lines.

Thanks

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #45 on: Aug 15, 2016, 10:03:10 »
Engine looks great! So does the build so far.

Can I ask how you masked your polished bits? I'm trying to do something similar and I keep coming up with complicated ways to get the mask right, but wondering if it's just as simple as being careful with your tape lines.

Thanks

Thx, Philly!  Glad you like the look so far. 
As far as masking went, I really just had to be careful with the tape lines.  It did take me over an hour to mask everything.  If you can find some thinner tape it makes things much easier.  Wish there was a magic shortcut, though.  My best tool was a very sharp razor blade to take care of places where there were odd lines or where I needed to mask off a flat surface with irregular edges (ie. the exhaust ports.)

Offline PhillyThump

« Reply #46 on: Aug 16, 2016, 11:48:56 »
Thanks a lot!

Offline djmaynard

« Reply #47 on: Aug 17, 2016, 08:12:31 »
Maybe I missed it, but was that the original headlight or aftermarket?

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #48 on: Aug 17, 2016, 09:19:37 »
Maybe I missed it, but was that the original headlight or aftermarket?
Hey djmaynard - The black headlight is now an aftermarket unit with a halo (for a little something different) from DCC.  When I near the end of needing parts I plan to post a "Parts Used" list in case anyone is interested in specifics.

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #49 on: Aug 17, 2016, 09:26:26 »
Another quick update on the build.  I was able to get the engine back in place by myself.  My back doesn't recommend it, though ;)