www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 78 XS 750...special to tracker/scrambler  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Psycrow

Re: 78 XS 750...special to tracker/scrambler
« Reply #30 on: Oct 17, 2016, 11:17:10 »
hmm. that response seems soo familiar some how.....and maybe I AM a gay decorator and that hurt my feelings...

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Offline zap2504

« Reply #31 on: Oct 17, 2016, 11:52:10 »
Arrogant but accurate. The bag is too big and is in the way. A functional alternative would be a triangular tool bag/roll made to fit in that specific area and inset so as to not be in the way. Otherwise a side cover to hide the battery would be better.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #32 on: Oct 17, 2016, 11:59:23 »
hmm. that response seems soo familiar some how.....and maybe I AM a gay decorator and that hurt my feelings...

Psy

I'm sure you recognise the rant I posted Psycow haha  ;)

FWIW I think the saddlebag looks OK.

It does look a little baggy and might get sucked into the rear wheel? Perhaps a metal stiffener fixed along the inside bottom edge would keep it stiffer (phnaarrr) and allow you to fix it to the frame/bike in some way?
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2016, 12:01:59 by NoRiders »

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2016, 12:13:07 »
Indeed I did... and caught the joke... im not actually a queer interior decorator (not that i have a problem with that lol). The bag was a military but pack and the straps you see going around the frame are just to keep the lid from drooping. It has velcro straps in the back that would have secured it to the web belt.. I cut slots in the side covers sheet metal and fed these through and secured so the bag is not going anywhere even when packed. I have an identical pack on the tail rack of my Bonneville... its done 12k kms and never budged. In addition the stock plastic side covers were curved out the sheet metal one I made is flat and tucks in as close to the battery box as it can so the bag protrudes as little as possible.

Psy

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2016, 12:17:34 by Psycrow »

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2016, 12:57:38 »
Also I swapped some work for a set of Dunlop k70 tires.. not exactly the knobbies I would like but the price was right ;) and they should handle dirt fire roads well enough for now. I just need to pick up tubes for them. According to the Yamaha tripples forum my rims are not tubless anyways which could explain why they need air every couple of weeks. I assumed all mags were tubeless however according to that site the 77 and most 78 mags were to porus to hold air indefinitely and tubes were required... if mybmags were tubless they will actually be stamped "tubless" on the spokes. Should have the k70s mounted soon but the weather is turning fast here and with my limited budget some stuff including all the road legal fees and paperwork may have to wait till spring.

Psy

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #35 on: Oct 20, 2016, 14:43:06 »
Well she got a good 30 min skake down cruse today.

She started hard and ran rough with no power at low throttle openings.   I think Ill have to dig into the carbs again and the other petcock has sprung a leak (more of a weep but the 1st one i fixed seems to be holding). When I got home there was a steady stream of white smoke from the crank case breather (like a lit cigarette) and i may have a base gasket leak. I never noticed this before but it looks like a little chunk out of the casting at the base gasket right behind the no 1 header pipe...
 sigh i was really hoping this was not going to require a complete engine teardown....

Psy

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: Oct 20, 2016, 15:16:18 »
I could be wrong, I've never worked on a Yamaha before, but I believe that is not a missing chunk but there by design (drainage?). Someone more experienced in Yamaha's may chime in on it.
Perry

1972 Honda CB350 K4 / 1978 Honda XL250S /1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #37 on: Oct 20, 2016, 15:20:39 »
The 'smoke' out of the crankcase breather is normal, its water vapor that 'steams' off the oil when the engine is at temp. Factory airboxes usually have the breather air recycled into the airbox so you never see it.
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #38 on: Oct 20, 2016, 16:47:29 »
I could be wrong, I've never worked on a Yamaha before, but I believe that is not a missing chunk but there by design (drainage?). Someone more experienced in Yamaha's may chime in on it.
Ill dig into this a little more over on the tripples forum.

And I know about the water vapor .. this seemed more than normal but that could be an excess of moisture in the oil from sitting so long and the cooler fall temps here now.. I have fresh oil and filter so ill go ahead with a fluids change and see how she goes..

Psy

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #39 on: Oct 21, 2016, 05:29:42 »
I don't know about that exact spot but I have seen similar details cast into yamaha crankcases - for lodging in a wedge and prying them apart (to break stubborn gasket cement).  But yeah, seems odd just there?