www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 78 XS 750...special to tracker/scrambler  (Read 4815 times)

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
Re: 78 XS 750...special to tracker/scrambler
« Reply #40 on: Oct 21, 2016, 07:02:50 »
I don't know about that exact spot but I have seen similar details cast into yamaha crankcases - for lodging in a wedge and prying them apart (to break stubborn gasket cement).  But yeah, seems odd just there?

+1 on that - same on quite a few Japanese makes - including my KZ750 (twin) ........
There's actually a pic in the workshop manual with a pry bar being used !!
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline XS750AU

« Reply #41 on: Oct 21, 2016, 19:08:31 »
I don't know about that exact spot but I have seen similar details cast into yamaha crankcases - for lodging in a wedge and prying them apart (to break stubborn gasket cement).  But yeah, seems odd just there?

Exactly correct, there are 2 points cast into the cylinders to help split it away from the cases if the gasket gets stuck.

Also attaching a document that is a collection of posts on tuning carbies which might help you with your carbies
Good luck
Tim
“Engineering is the art of being approximately right rather than exactly wrong.”

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2016, 19:29:21 »
Thanks for the pics and info... Lets hope its the left side engine cover leaking then and not the base gasket...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Offline datadavid

« Reply #43 on: Nov 02, 2016, 16:00:32 »
Exactly, those are pry points, even says so in the workshop manual! :) im guessing by your intake/exhaust setup and no power at small throttle openings you have not raised the needles? Mine needed to come at least one notch up with pods and 3-1 2" exhaust.

Offline datadavid

« Reply #44 on: Nov 02, 2016, 16:01:34 »
The 'smoke' out of the crankcase breather is normal, its water vapor that 'steams' off the oil when the engine is at temp. Factory airboxes usually have the breather air recycled into the airbox so you never see it.
Yes if its not worse than a lit cigarette its perfectly ok. Just put a filter on there.

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #45 on: Nov 03, 2016, 21:07:07 »
filter is on the crankcase breather hose. Carb adjutment is next then I need a decent day for another test ride, getting cold and wet here. Exhaust is stock 3 into 2.

Psy

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #46 on: Nov 13, 2017, 18:02:06 »
To close this off unlike so many threads here this project was 99% finished and the bike was running well (maybe still needed some fine tuning with the jets for the pods) and then sold off to fund the next project.....

Yamaha 77' XT500

Psy