New Member, old bike problems

So I've got a new spark advancer case and a new camshaft on the way. The plan is to install with moly paste, put the engine back together, and then cycle it using the alternator for a few minutes to see if oil is making its way through the passages. It'll be a few days due to parts shipping but I will update with the results

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Also took the jug off, good cross hatching and the piston and rings look like newer shape than the rest of the engine. Maybe the last wrencher to own it replaced them

11494-200816163635.png

So, good news bad news from the new parts. The good news is the parts came, the bad news is the the camshaft is really loose in the head, I put it back together, turned it over a few times and you could clearly see the camshaft dipping. Looks like the head is worn down from it being run without oil in the head? Could have very easily been me trying to kick it to life without realizing there was no oil flow. Lesson learned. More good news is I have a head on the way. Seller promised it was from a well running bike so we'll see how it goes

Yeah, unfortunately because of the condition of that camshaft the journals on your head and rocker cover would've been shot as well, though it was tough to make a call from the photos. Be sure to look for for deep scoring in the journals when buying new parts. If you can feel them with your finger it's generally a bad sign.

Also, it's doubtful that you kicking it over a few times would cause that kind of damage, it would have had to been run for some amount of time with no oil to the top end for that to occur.

Well that's good to hear. I asked the seller for some closeups of the head and it looks good so fingers crossed. I'll keep updating as things happen

The new head is great! I think. It fits, is in goodish shape and there is zero wiggle in the camshaft. Sorry for lack of pictures. While switching everything over to the new head I noticed some cracks in the carb insulator, now I've got one of those on the way. Hopefully next update will be that it runs and I can start a real build!

Th engine is back together, mounted, and she runs! Let it run for a while to get oil through it and the reved it up, no hesitation, and it sounds great. Due to the hurricane here I haven't ridden it yet but hopefully tonight.
Just want to say thanks to everyone for the help. Hopefully a update of the bike this winter.
Also pictured my very patient dog Finn

979260e2b3a08b7834ab0a064de5c1b4.jpg

Thanks I like the tank too. I feel like it's mostly por-15 at this point though! I'm torn on stripping it and reprinting it or leaving the original

Back
Top Bottom