'78 KZ400

stroker crazy said:
The drag bars will be less uncomfortable than clip-ons with the standard footpegs.

Crazy

Yeah, I'm probably going to need rear sets anyway. I'm a fairly tall guy and I'm still pretty scrunched up even with drag bars.

Winter finally got here so work has slowed down. This week has been warmer though so I got a little work done.

Almost have the seat pan ready for paint. I've block sanded it with a primer guide coat and found just a couple minor low spots. I also drilled it for mounting screws and reinforced it underneath with some flat aluminum bar stock, so it's nice and solid now.

I replaced the leaking fork seals and sanded out the rust spots in the inner tubes, plus sanded out all the oxidation on the outer tubes and gave them a fresh coat of aluminum colored paint. The old seals were a real bugger to get out, I ended up submerging them in boiling water for 10 minutes and then they popped right out. While I had them apart I did the copper coupling trick to lower them a little: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=27984.0
They were pretty easy to get apart so if I don't like how it handles it's easily reversable.

OwM1twm.jpg

Oh, and my wife got me a set of mini gauges from Dime City for Christmas. They're going to look much better than the monster gauges that are on there now. Anyone know if the speedo can be opened up and the mileage advanced to match what I currently have?

Did you ever get that petcock, and if so, where from and what part #?? Mine needs a rebuild but you pretty much have to piece that together from different bikes various parts. Finding a reasonably priced assembly would be great.

I got an aftermarket one for my 78 400 off eBay. It was like $20, worked fine for me but I know the cheap ones are known to leak

A CB750 petcock is a good replacement for the stock KZ400 petcock for some models - easier to find and they fit. I know they work for the 74-76, I have one on my 76. Not sure about the 78-79. I suspect they would.

I found the petcock here:

https://z1parts.net/petcock-fuel-valve-kz400/

No idea if it's truly the correct one since I originally had some sort of weird universal petcock without a reserve setting. But it bolted up to the tank just fine. Haven't filled it with gas yet, though.

That looks like the one I bought first, thinking they were all the same. The bolt patterns don't match up, though.

Anyone want to buy a post-78 petcock? :D

Just a quick update...no new pics but I've made some progress.

I didn't get much done the last couple months because it's too damn cold in the garage, but now that it's warming up a little I got the wiring (mostly) done. Added a mini tach and speedo from Dime City and got them mounted & wired up today. Yesterday I wired in the replacement regulator/rectifier from Rick' and added an LED compatible turn signal relay. Other than that the wiring is still all factory and still pretty much complete. Going with a Lithium Ion battery, it just fits in the space I have. I'm going with LED turn signals and brake light. Don't have those mounted yet.

Cleaned up and polished the front wheel and put the rebuilt & repainted fork back in place yesterday. Also repainted the front brake caliper.

Seat pan is ready for paint. I need to sand down the tank and fill in the badge holes, then prime and paint.

I wanted to move the ignition switch to somewhere more or less hidden. I was thinking of putting it in the side of the electronics tray under the seat, but I don't have enough room. Still trying to think of a good place.

Getting closer....I originally threw on a set of drag bars but decided they just didn't look right. Ended up with a set of Cafe bars from Dime City. They look better, IMO, but still don't force you into leaning forward so much. My old man back can't handle that. In fact, they come back a little further than the drags. I'll probably still want rearsets though.

Wiring is done except for turn signals and tail light. The original wiring harness is complete, but it's kind of a rat's nest. Eventually I would like to clean it up a little, but for now it'll fit under the seat.

New headlight, bars, gauges, and rebuilt/repainted forks:

lxRZlQv.jpg

alemonkey said:
Getting closer....I originally threw on a set of drag bars but decided they just didn't look right. Ended up with a set of Cafe bars from Dime City. They look better, IMO, but still don't force you into leaning forward so much. My old man back can't handle that. In fact, they come back a little further than the drags. I'll probably still want rearsets though.

Wiring is done except for turn signals and tail light. The original wiring harness is complete, but it's kind of a rat's nest. Eventually I would like to clean it up a little, but for now it'll fit under the seat.

New headlight, bars, gauges, and rebuilt/repainted forks:

lxRZlQv.jpg

Question from a guy who wants to dive into a build... although I would consider myself mechanically oriented, I have VERY little experience wrenching... what experience did you have prior to the build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobadwaves said:
Question from a guy who wants to dive into a build... although I would consider myself mechanically oriented, I have VERY little experience wrenching... what experience did you have prior to the build?

Jump right in there. You will learn from your mistakes, all of us have.
Start with the basics like general maintenance and work from there.

Nebr_Rex said:
Jump right in there. You will learn from your mistakes, all of us have.
Start with the basics like general maintenance and work from there.

Sounds good to me. Thanks!

Tried my hand at upholstery for the first time. Pretty happy with how it turned out. I need to re-stick a spot in the angle of the cushion where it pulled up, but overall I like it. I used the method here, more or less: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72122.0

I highly recommend using this fabric - it stretches very easily and forms well around curves: http://www.sailrite.com/Allsport-4-Way-Stretch-Black-54-Vinyl-Fabric

dUld0RD.jpg

Got a few things done in the last week or two.

Stripped the tank and filled the badge holes, then primed and wet sanded. But, I sanded through to bare metal in a couple places so it needs more work before paint. I think I'm going to go with a satin black, with a "ghost" stripe down the middle of the tank and rear cowl. Probably will try to find a shade of dark gray that's just a little lighter than the black.

Decided to switch gears carb-wise and go with twin Mikuni VM30's. Got them mounted and the throttle cable built.

Put on some bar end mirrors. Just some cheap Amazon ones, but I like how they look. Even if they're so small that they're not really useful :)

I also think I'm going to ditch the MAC 2 into 1 exhaust I bought, and go with some reverse cone megaphones on the factory pipes. Just didn't like the look. The pipes are kinda rough so they'll get some exhaust wrap.

Back
Top Bottom