Montreal Manchild with an '81 Honda CB750K

That's what I thought. Getting through the bloody great padlock on the steering stem however is gonna be another challenge - these Harley's don't have a steering lock. Lost the garage keys too (found a spare set) and the house key. Just having too much fun on the KLR!

Installed the new ignition switch on the sportster, piece of cake. Scary really - makes me think I need some kind of alarm system hooked up to my bikes, pronto.

Took the Honda out for a ride last night with a mate - felt a weird kind of buzzing from the back of the bike and realized that the taillight bracket I'd made from a piece of the front fender had broken - clearly not up to the job. Luckily the thick insulated wiring kept the light itself from falling off, need to fabricate something a little more resilient. A lot more resilient.

Blew loads of fuses too in the process - Rhonda needs a little TLC...

The Joys of the shake down runs. good thing is as you sort it there is less and that happens and the bike just works. I lost my license plate on one run because I hadn't used lock nuts or lock washers on the mount I had made. cost me 50 bucks to replace it.

Lock nuts - good call mate. Used what I had lying around to bolt up my license plate and bracket. I see a trip to Canadian Tire in my immediate future...

Fabricated a new bracket for the taillight yesterday. Really want to say "fabbed" but don't feel like I own that word yet. Once I start welding and stuff then I'm fabbing.

Bought some new fuses (I'd blown a couple) - now my taillight is bright all the time (like the brake is on) and I've lost the front left indicators. No idea where to even start?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The Jimbonaut said:
Bought some new fuses (I'd blown a couple) - now my taillight is bright all the time (like the brake is on) and I've lost the front left indicators. No idea where to even start?

Make sure tour brake switches are not applied. I had a similar problem when I used a larger-than-spec battery for my cb. Turns out the battery was shorter (height) and significantly longer than stock, and it was pressing on the rear brake switch, causing the light to be on. A 1/2" spacer under the battery and all is well! But that's the example I'm using to tell you to check your switch adjustments.

+ 1 you can bend the wire that connects to the spring on the brake switch accidentally and it will be out of adjustment, as for the signals, look for a lose bullet connector, they can come lose when riding from vibration, you can also check continuity on the wire between the connections if they look good and see if there is a short. If you blew the fuse it could have been a shorted wire anyway so good to check that.

Kolby198 said:
Love the build. I really enjoyed riding it. - Kolby ;)

Hey Kolby, great to see you here! Pleasure meeting you - managed to wire up a new ignition for the sportster and thankfully had a spare set of garage keys. The old set are sacrificed to the God of the 40 West...

The Jimbonaut said:
Hey Kolby, great to see you here! Pleasure meeting you - managed to wire up a new ignition for the sportster and thankfully had a spare set of garage keys. The old set are sacrificed to the God of the 40 West...

Thanks, took your advice and posted about the gr650. Good to hear man. If you need copies cut (and if I have the right key) I can do it. Good ol 40west.

Just nominated you for BOTM Jimbo. Somebody go second the old girl

I'm actually speechless - and have a smile on my face a mile wide. I'm so honoured and so thankful for the compliment I can't even begin to tell you. So unexpected! If you'd told me back in November that my bike would be nominated for bike of the month 9 months later I'd've wanted to believe it but never would have. Can't thank you enough - without all the help I've had on this forum from you guys then Rhonda would still be a pile of a thousand parts all over my garage floor.

I'll absolutely accept the nomination, on behalf of everyone who's helped me and whose advice has not only made my journey with Rhonda so much fun but also so much easier. Would never have happened without you guys.

Thank you very sincerely.

I'm having a beer immediately and cheers-ing all of you

Your bike embodies exactly what we all love about this forum, it shows what can be done by someone with the will to learn, make mistakes, fix those mistakes and carry on learning. I am excited to see what you come up with on your next build. Cheers Mate and have that well deserved beer, or 3. I wouldn't have any bike repair knowledge without this place either.

And that's the triple truth, Ruth

Thank you again and not for the last time. Can't get the smile from my face, such a cool feeling. I'm heading up to Quebec City this weekend with my wife (under the cloak and dagger pretext of a "mini-break") to go check out a '77 KZ1000 that's got my next build writ large all over it. Hope you're all ready for my next onslaught of questions...

Back
Top Bottom