What should I buy?

biscuit20

I've been a rider for over 20 years, mostly dirt bikes. My 1st street legal bike was a mix 650 so I love a single cylinder. I'm looking to do my 1st build and I am torn on what type of bike to get. I'm tall but not opposed to a smallish bike. I ride a trail 90... I can find cheap non running but clear titled cb360's that could make nice scrambler type builds but have heard about the top ends having oil starvation problems. But at $200-$400 the price is right. I know they are twins but like them and they have a kick start which I love. I've also been looking at old honda xl250's. I like dual rear shocks as opposed to the single. Price needs to be right since ill be taking it down to the frame. Any help would be awesome.

Sent from my VS995 using DO THE TON mobile app

The CB360 isn't a terrible bike. The oiling issues can be remedied if you're willing to pull the motor apart. They aren't terribly fast or sexy but a lot of people have done really cool stuff with them. If you can get a complete and titled one (a running one would be ideal) for under $400 then I'd go for it.

Anything vintage that's smaller than a 350cc (four stroke) will be underpowered for any kind of riding outside of around town stuff. The XL would be fun as long as back roads and neighborhood runs are all you're after. They're crazy reliable and parts are dirt cheap.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you want as an end result. Both can easily be built as a street scrambler.

It's not that hard to get a CB360 capable of going 105mph+. PJs carb rebuild pretty much gets you there alone. For most, that's plenty of speed. I am a huge fan of XL250s. I have two, plus I've owned an XL175. They're dead nuts simple, and reliable all day long.

irk said:
It's not that hard to get a CB360 capable of going 105mph+. PJs carb rebuild pretty much gets you there alone. For most, that's plenty of speed. I am a huge fan of XL250s. I have two, plus I've owned an XL175. They're dead nuts simple, and reliable all day long.

True story. The 360 can be fast. I just mean that in its stock form it's not exactly awe inspiring. But then again, not may small displacement four stroke twins from the 70s are.

irk said:
How is the xl175/185? Other than simple. I like simple, but will it run 55?

biscuit20 said:
How is the xl175/185? Other than simple. I like simple, but will it run 55?

You're getting a top speed of about 70, maybe a few more. It doesn't have a whole lot of power on the low end. It's super light and a fun bike to ride around town and on fire roads, but don't expect much offroad or on steep hills. It'll cruise at 55 just fine. I was never willing to put it on the interstate. I still have an XL175 motor I plan to use for something. Maybe a kart.

Back
Top Bottom