Oz chick with 82 Honda CBX and 08 Sporty

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I have been considering putting the forks, wheels and brakes from a 900f on mine, or possibly from an F2, I have not measured anything but I think these might be easy swaps for you to consider.
A UK bike magazine did this in the mid 80s

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Oz chick, how far do you plan to go with yours?

I like the look of your Sportster.

Hi Brian,
That is the golden question that I don't yet have an answer to. My intention originally when I set out looking for a project bike was to find something that had the potential to become my "around town" bike. By that I mean it would become individualised as my own, be fetching to look at, be quieter than the sporty so that I can sneak out for rides in the cool of the early morning (and catch a sunrise with my camera without incurring the wrath of my neighbours), yet would still make me smile as I rolled-on the throttle. But it didn't need to serve for spirited riding, nor be comfortable enough for weekends away.

But two things happened when this particular bike became my project bike: firstly, it already had some unique elements that individualised it and made me think twice about the sketchy build plan that had been formulating in my head; and secondly, when I sat on her, she quite simply "fit" perfectly... like she was built for my 5'3" frame, just as she stood. That made me open my mind towards considering a restoration, which certainly wasn't my original intention.

I won't decide till I get her running and ride her some. I don't LOVE "the look", so I suspect at the very minimum there will be cosmetic changes. So at this point I *think* the answer will be a mild build. I think I'll be trying to stick with most of the original components and working cosmetically: balancing the lines from tank to seat and tidying up the tail. But, if I find the original parts are inadequate or irreparable, then I'll be looking to get deeper into the build. Replacing the front-end may indeed happen; but at this point it is Plan B.

In some respects I'm also waiting to see how my Sporty handles after break-in with the 90" motor, lighter flywheel and the forks in their current iteration. If I'm content with her, then I'll have more resources for the Honda. If not, then I'll be needing to decide how the bank balance (and aussie dollar) is fairing to decide on her next fork iteration. The never-ending story of handling improvements. She might be an 08 model, but aside from the EFI, she may as well have been from the 70s... part of the charm ::)

At this moment, as I re-read what I've written I'm shaking my head and thinking a sane person would put their dollars to towards buying that new [enter here prefered brand of whichever modern, reliable, nicely-handling bike fulfilled the desire]. But I guess since we are all here reading and sharing, we're chasing a slightly different brand of sanity :eek:

Hi Trace wow! if your bike turns out any way like your photography then you gonna be a star looked at your web site those pics are amazing , when it comes to pics (ive got the gear but no idea) haha that's me, hope to see some cool pics of your project always here for Q&A's enjoy the journey, ride safe

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I'd like to find that magazine.

Oz chick, how far do you plan to go with yours?

I like the look of your Sportster.
I think it was Motorcycle Mechanics, and from memory it bolted straight in.

i'll have a quick look thru my old copies tonight and see if I can get it scanned/copied and put it up

spotty said:
i'll have a quick look thru my old copies tonight and see if I can get it scanned/copied and put it up
That would be excellent if you do find it Spotty!

yorkie350 said:
Hi Trace wow! if your bike turns out any way like your photography then you gonna be a star looked at your web site those pics are amazing , when it comes to pics (ive got the gear but no idea) haha that's me, hope to see some cool pics of your project always here for Q&A's enjoy the journey, ride safe
Thanks Yorkie, but I can assure you my photography skills FAR outshine my wrenching skills... I think my most accomplished skill in the garage is stripping screws :p I enjoy working on my bikes, but I'm slow, methodical and risk averse. There may be times when my cursing gets as creative and colourful as my photos though ;)

bad me got drunk and watched Quadrophenia instead last night, see what we can do tonight

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Tina Turner, yum.
i think you might be thinking of Tommy, tina turner def wasn't in Quadrophenia, Leslie Ash was and more than makes up for the absence of the granny acid queen
Quadrophenia is the Who film about mods'n'rockers, great scooters as well as more than a few café racers, its possible the acting leaves a little to be desired but still a great film

did get a chance to start looking through old copies of classic motorcycle mechanics last night but I have a lot more than I thought and I ended up reading old articles while I was going so I only got thru about a dozen whilst consuming beers
i'll get back to it tonight

finished going through the large stack on the w/end and couldn't find the CBX in question, did see an awful lot more nasty little mopeds and the like than i'd ever like to be exposed to ever again (until next time anyway), on the plus side lots of CBX1000's, still like one of them (or a Z13)

don't think mine go back that far, I was still reading scooter mags back then ( I got better, honest)

Back
Top Bottom