www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: An odd one. 82 kz750r1.  (Read 8276 times)

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
Re: An odd one. 82 kz750r1. Brat cafe.
« Reply #40 on: Mar 13, 2017, 16:21:22 »
Shit, I was up to no good with a hopped up 350f, I'm even heavy handed on the 160. On a 1 liter forget it!

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #41 on: Mar 13, 2017, 16:39:11 »
It's been said, once you go liter, you don't go back.   All the control is in your right hand man.  I've ridden an 1100 as my regular ride for 17 years!

On the other end of the spectrum, I've pretty much stopped riding my 1100 in favor of my two 100s. Ha ha. The back roads and trails I enjoy riding the most are too much like work on a big bike.

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Weird Indy Kid
« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2017, 16:50:00 »
Shit, I was up to no good with a hopped up 350f, I'm even heavy handed on the 160. On a 1 liter forget it!
On the other end of the spectrum, I've pretty much stopped riding my 1100 in favor of my two 100s. Ha ha. The back roads and trails I enjoy riding the most are too much like work on a big bike.

You both need to keep the CCs but ditch the valves :)

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #43 on: Mar 18, 2017, 18:41:34 »
If I were to own a sport bike an r6 or something 750ish would be about right. But not today that's for sure. A customer through my shop just gave me a raggity old Yamaha 175 2 stroker thats complete and a set of wheels, tank, headlight, frame, and fenders from a small cc Harley. The frame has an oil tank built into it. Not entirely sure what model but I think it might be stuff from a sprint? I have a hard time saying no to free I guess.

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2017, 14:43:56 »
Busy as always. Went down to MotoGp at Circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas again. Good racing was seen!

Also went to the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show that Revival puts on. Amazing things to be seen as always.

Craig Rodsmith's turbo guzzi was my favorite for sure.

Anything Maxwell Hazan builds it picture worthy. His turbo Ducati this year was wonderful.

I'm sure some of you will recognize the Bmw k75 Alpha bike. The entire bike is absolutely insane, the suspension design, steering articulation, and the rear set operation (which is controlled by your knees). It was a trip to try to wrap your head around how everything "works". Not practical at all to ride, but the design behind it is just nuts.       

Colt Wrangler Lyons built this fresh little Honda CL175 for Bexar Goods in San Antonio. I actually got to meet him, super nice guy. Makes me want to build a tracker for sure! 

Been working on mine some when I have time. The original tank I had was rusting some on the inside..I didn't realize how bad until I started stripping the paint and I realized there were rot pin holes developing. Seemed like it was going to be more hassle than it was worth. The oem tank also didn't have the clearance on the bars and forks I was wanting. Oh wells! I ended up going down to Ty's motorcycle salvage, which is conveniently 5 blocks from my home. I gave him the Benelli/Harley 250 parts I had acquired for free in exchange for some credit. I ended up getting a Honda cx500 tank that was completely straight and rust free. It had a shape I could appreciate so I relocated the front tank mounting points and it seems like it will work out. Still need to sort out a rear mounting point. I also welded in a filler plate to smooth up the back of the tank. I'm sure I'll get a talkin to from someone about not having "the right tank" on it.  ::) 

I also didn't quite get the right length on the rear loop the first time I did it. So I shortened it up a little bit and welded it on. Think I finally got the right shape to the frame now. Going to build a seat pan and figure out some mounting points for it. After that I'll be moving on to primering/painting the frame, tank, and a few misc items.     

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 15:03:59 by Coopacoopacoopa »

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 18:32:56 »
So..  how much space between that loop and your tire ?  Is it just the angle?   The one you referenced has a kick up in rear. 
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2017, 23:26:23 »
The first picture it was not welded in place. It was on the frame lugs and taped in place.  :P

There is about 2.5 inches between the tire and bottom of loop.

Offline japstar

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 08:02:39 »
The first picture it was not welded in place. It was on the frame lugs and taped in place.  :P

There is about 2.5 inches between the tire and bottom of loop.
ouch, not a good idea.
You'll be rubbing your tire against the hoop.
Remember that 2.5 inches will already be down to 1.5 inches onces you sit on it. Then that 1.5 inch has to withstand speed bumps and pot holes and acceleration.  :-X
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:04:22 by japstar »
GPZ550 cafe racer http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=69514.0

It ain't about showing up on a bike that the loan officer at your bank, or your parent's inheritance bought for you. It's about skinning your knuckles, straining your back, developing some blisters on your hands, breathing varsol and paint fumes,taking measurements and making mistakes.
It's about standing back, after the dust settles, and being able to say when people ask, "I BUILT it!"

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2017, 11:52:14 »
The shocks aren't original to the bike, and the spring rates are way stiff. With my wife sitting on it, and me jumping up and down trying to compress it I can't get the rear end all that close to the hoop. They're also 12.5 inch shocks. From what I've read the stock 82 KZ750R1 / GPz750 length is 13 5/8"  and unsprung length is 14 3/4.
 Couldn't I just run the factory length for a little more clearance?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 18:38:15 by Coopacoopacoopa »

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2017, 13:05:25 »
The shocks aren't original to the bike, and the spring rates are way stiff. With my wife sitting on it, and me jumping up and down trying to compress it I can't get the rear end all that close to the hoop. They're also 12.5 inch shocks. From what I've read the stock 82 KZ750R1 / GPz750 length is 13 5/8"  and unsprung length is 14 3/4.
 Couldn't I just run the factory length for a little more clearance?

Altering the original frame geometry by changing shock or fork lengths will change the handling.  Sometimes for the better, more often for the worse, even dangerously so on some setups.  Getting proper rear loop to tire clearance by changing shocks is not the way to do it, especially if the shocks are sprung wrong in the first place.  One way to check clearance is use a ratchet strap, remove one of the shocks and then compress the tail with the strap until the shock bottoms out.  If you still have any clearance after that, you are golden, if not, you'll end up hitting the loop at some point.

If it was me, I'd get some proper rear shocks at the right length and spring rate, then deal with fixing that rear loop with a kick up as it really looks like it would help on your bike. 
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--