This day in history....

Congrats for ten years of the best bike forum on the planet, maybe in the universe, my favourite place in the interweb!

Happy birthday DTT!

Congratulations Tim, and many thanks for providing the SkyTeam 'Ace' crew with their own little corner of the web.

Crazy

Nice work Tim. Congrats and happy anniversary. I had to look to see when I joined. I was surprised to see I joined back in 2010. Time goes by quickly!

The bike of the decade is pretty neat idea. I can think of at least 5-6 that could be that bike. Built by folks I get to call friends. Some are still here, some don't come around as much but they are more like family to me than some of my real family. I like a lot of folks here and love some like brothers, sisters and if older I guess dad's, mom's or uncles. I'd know jack shit about bikes, would probably been in a mess after my crash if it wasn't for this place and it's members. Here's to 100 more years of DTT.

BAZINGA! 10 years and still kickin... must be the sauce

Congrats Tim, hope you still enjoy the site now and for many more decades

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Tim said:
DTT was officially launched February 2, 2007. 10 years ago (later tonight to be accurate).

I registered the domain January 30, and then launched the site on GoDaddy hosting a few days later. Since then I had to relocate twice to manage the growth in members, posts, photos etc. Now it's hosted on a very nice virtual private server in a large data center with options to grow, relocate to other centers around the world etc. Shouldn't have to move again at least.

Anyhow - yeah. 10 years, and many of you have been around for most of it! Thanks for making this place what it is (and keeping it from being what it isn't).

Almost exactly 5 years after you opened the doors I finally signed on after lurking awhile. So glad I did. Outstanding job Tim!

Maritime said:
The bike of the decade is pretty neat idea. I can think of at least 5-6 that could be that bike. Built by folks I get to call friends. Some are still here, some don't come around as much but they are more like family to me than some of my real family. I like a lot of folks here and love some like brothers, sisters and if older I guess dad's, mom's or uncles. I'd know jack shit about bikes, would probably been in a mess after my crash if it wasn't for this place and it's members. Here's to 100 more years of DTT.

Come on MT, I deliberated for 3 weeks over my choice for bike of the year ........... bike of the decade ?????? Might be easier [ and maybe fairer ] to have a bike of the year for each of the previous 9 before the current vote is completed. Now THAT WOULD BE A CALENDAR !

That way, those of us who came late to the party [ 2010 for me ] won't be agonising over bikes we weren't familiar with before "our" time.

beachcomber said:
Might be easier [ and maybe fairer ] to have a bike of the year for each of the previous 9 before the current vote is completed. Now THAT WOULD BE A CALENDAR !

That way, those of us who came late to the party [ 2010 for me ] won't be agonising over bikes we weren't familiar with before "our" time.

You might be on to something, BC

Congratulations on doing a 1/10 of the Ton in years. ;D

Here's to filling out that fraction in the years to come, with "my imaginary internet friends"! :p

Been here nearly 5 years. Had never heard of the site, until someone e-mailed me that someone was on here saying the only way I could afford to sell the seats I was building at the time was by not paying any taxes on them.

Glad I signed up. Wealth of information on here. Always nice to meet/see again members at the vintage shows.

Here's to the next decade!

And, I dig the Bike of the Decade idea.

Happy birthday DTT. I was invited to the first Mama Tried and got to meet "the small group" signed up on the site just a few days later.

cyclefreak said:
Happy birthday DTT. I was invited to the first Mama Tried and got to meet "the small group" signed up on the site just a few days later.

And we are very glad you did brother!

Wow! Happy Anniversary DTT and thanks Tim for starting it!

Been on here since '09 and met a bunch of motorcycle idiots that I am proud to call friends. I still laugh when people give me funny looks when I tell them "I'm going on motorcycle trip to meet up with some guys I met on the internet" :D

Hope it sticks around for another 10 years!

mothgils said:
I still laugh when people give me funny looks when I tell them "I'm going on motorcycle trip to meet up with some guys I met on the internet" :D

Glad I'm not the only one haha

Ha. When I told my family I was riding to a farm in WV to meet people from the internet they didn't think I was going to live to come home. Now I consider those folks family

Congratulations Tim, seems like forever since the Mods and Rockers meet-up. Don't see the scooter crowd around these days.

Been lax on posting, me bad.
I remember meeting Noel at a CVMG bike swap meet, before DTT was even launched - so sometime in 2007?
Wow! What energy / zeal / youthfulness this kid has! How much caffeine has this dude slugged back, anyway?
A website? Called Do The Ton? "We're gonna do all kinds of stuff like back in the 60's!" Or he said something close to it - it's been over 10 years, right?
Ya gotta be kidding, kid - I did the ton in 1969!
Anyway, a lot of changes over the last 10 years, for the site and for all of us.
Here is hoping for (at least) another 20 years.
A job well done.
Most respectfully yours,
Pat Cowan,
Pacomotorstuff

Since this is the Do The Ton anniversary, does anyone remember the first time they did the ton? Mine was on my T500 Titan. I was scared/thrilled and smiling, I was 18 and I felt like I had made it, I was now cool, ha ha. :)

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Since this is the Do The Ton anniversary, does anyone remember the first time they did the ton? Mine was on my T500 Titan. I was scared/thrilled and smiling, I was 18 and I felt like I had made it, I was now cool, ha ha. :)

Honestly, I can't remember the first time doing a ton, but I do vividly remember one day, alone somewhere out in the middle of nowhere in Illinois; beautiful day, nobody else on the road as I said "why not?" to myself and let the VFR have her head. After going past an indicated 140 mph the common sense kicked in and I rolled off. The bike had more left, but I ran out of guts and haven't gone that fast since. There was another time on that same VFR, heading south out of OK City toward DFW. I was cruising along at about the posted limit and was continually being passed. So I stepped up the speed until I was staying w/ the flow of traffic; occasionally passing and occasionally being passed, and sat right at 100 mph for many, many miles. Talk about rapid transit!

Back
Top Bottom