New tire options for Comstars

rs_ss350

Ready for some new rubber for my comstar wheels. Working on a cb750 cafe/brat build with gsx-r front end conversion and wanting some good looking tires to go with it. Any suggestions/recommendation on brand and sizing?

cb-seat-fit.jpg

Thanks!

I'll ask another way maybe someone can chime in... as far as sizing goes, what would be the best modern size tire to go on the comstar that's stamped 1.85x19, the 77 goldwing rim, with 2007 gsx-r600 forks. Then the best modern size tire for the rear, stock 82 comstar which has a 2.5x16 wheel.

Thanks for any help!!!

Stock on a 19 front/16 Rear for a DOHC CB750 are 100/90/19 front and 130/90/16 rear. Start there to narrow your search.

I'm a big fan of the Kenda Retroactive. They're sticky, good in the wet, look sweet and are cost effective. I stuck some on my '79 CB750F before I sold it, and will be mounting a pair on my '81 in the spring when it's ready for the road

http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/street/retroactive/

Thanks Cookie! I'll check those out - did you go with stock sizing, or is there any performance to be gained by varying from stock?
Also, my front comstar is off a 77 Goldwing which calls for 3.50-1 according to specs. The wheel on this one is 1.85x19, but the oem comstar from the 82 are marked 2.15x19. I assume that'll mean I need a narrower wheel, but no idea how 3.50-1 translates to todays sizing. and also same question about whether a slight variation might be helpful in any way.

See if this helps.

3.5 should translate to a 100 45mm tread width.

In the CB, if it was originally a Custom it actually had a 110/90/19. Which is why the wider rim. But that's an oddball size that is becoming tough to find and expensive, limiting your options.

Going wider than stock (say to a 120 width) will look cooler but won't do anything positive performance-wise. The wider tread will provide less feel and slower turn-in, in exchange for slightly better straight-line stability. But you don't build a bike like this to go straight for thousands of miles.

Nice looking machine, BTW.

Attachments

• motorcycle-tire-size-conversion-chart.jpg
    motorcycle-tire-size-conversion-chart.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 498
THanks - I'll be going with your original suggestion as that seems to work for my application too, did the calculations and all looks good!

Back
Top Bottom