www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"  (Read 5273 times)

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build
« Reply #30 on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:41:24 »
I built an oven from an old small freezer just right for wheels, but I can't get my controller figured out  >:(

If I had a big dedicated shop, I'd draw up a plan and have a sheetmetal shop bend me up a the metal for an oven that would accomodate things up to frame size with a rolling rack system for loading. And step up my blasting cabinet a bit too.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #31 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:21:17 »
one of the awesome parts of sportsters is there is literally no end to the farkles you can buy. That new clock and lights is nice!
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #32 on: Oct 16, 2017, 13:33:53 »
one of the awesome parts of sportsters is there is literally no end to the farkles you can buy. That new clock and lights is nice!

You aren't kidding... Yeah the speedo housing and LEDs are Roland Sands units... I couldn't get past 'em and had to have 'em... not cheap but groovy and mine are the only ones in that color so... win. I scored a barely used set of Roland Sands pre-load adjusters on ebay for less than half the price of new ones. Which is cool... Also a set of RSD foot pegs... It's unplanned but I'm evidently destined to have a ton of RSD parts on this bike as I'll likely have a Roland Sands scrambler exhaust. I just don't think I'll have the energy to build a set from scratch. My handlebar can't fit in my oven so I had to drop that off at the powder coater this morning. I don't need a flashy piece of chrome jumping out.

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2017, 21:52:45 »
Nothing to really show off right now... I've sold off most of the major take-offs from the Sporty. Tins, Wheels+Tires and Exhaust all that is really left. Oh and a Stage 1 intake.

But I got a used rear spoke hub off eBay and got that thing powder coated and installed new bearings. (Factory bearing removal was most fussy....)  I was able to drop both hubs off at my wheel guy today, he already had my tires in... should have my hoop/spoke order from Buchanan any day. Got the new risers in also... not sure I like em any better than the others... might stick with the factory risers. Dropped the handlebar off at the PC shop and should have that.... fingers crossed I'll have the front end finished next week and can focus on the rear end.

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #34 on: Oct 19, 2017, 15:42:25 »
Love seeing a Sporty being de-cruiserised.  Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #35 on: Oct 19, 2017, 20:16:30 »
What you got going on here is looking great bud.

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #36 on: Oct 20, 2017, 12:34:18 »
Man I've got a 2000 Sportster Sport edition sitting in my garage waiting for a buyer.  Reading your thread and your plans is almost - almost - giving me second thoughts about pulling the ad!  Will be following your thread with much interest and enthusiasm - looks great so far
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #37 on: Oct 20, 2017, 18:04:05 »
Thanks for the props guys.

I swung by the shop and my wheel guy John was busy lacing and truing up my rear wheel and getting ready to start on the front. It's good to have a true old school motor head that has done nothing but work on motorcycles for nearly 50 years. John's the best wheel guy in area for sure. These Excel rims are gonna look and perform awesome... I also have my chain conversion and rear shocks on the way. I went with 15" Burly Stiletto shocks. I have some more powder coating to do this weekend in anticipation of getting the front end done next week.

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #38 on: Oct 21, 2017, 20:37:26 »
Nothing looks better than spoked wheels imo. Just plain sexy!

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #39 on: Oct 24, 2017, 00:11:19 »
So I got some more powder coating done tonight while still waiting on some parts and my wheels to arrive.