3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

So I pulled the trigger and sliced off the fender struts... happy. Cut them off with the Sawz-all and cleaned up the cuts and shaped them with a flap wheel. Then turned around and hit them with a shot of black epoxy paint.

So I got out this weekend and fabbed up a tail light / license plate mount and got them welded to the rear fender. i'll be using a football shaped run/brake/turn light that I got off ebay... it'll look great when it's all done. I'm totally an amateur welder but this turned out pretty good I think.

Here's what the rear looks like with the tail light and tag installed.

Here's my annual "I hate the fuckin' cold weather" post... f'n Illinois winters... GRRRRRR

3DogNate said:
Here's my annual "I hate the fuckin' cold weather" post... f'n Illinois winters... GRRRRRR

I almost went to grad school in Chicago, when I was visiting for my interview it was -8, and that alone made me decline the invite.

doc_rot said:
I almost went to grad school in Chicago, when I was visiting for my interview it was -8, and that alone made me decline the invite.
Ha! I had a similar experience at U of Illinois. It was early April, and I opened up my hotel room curtains to snow. It was in single digits that day.

Been a little while since I've made an update. But I broke down and chose a seat, I chose the Roland Sands Boss Solo seat. It arrived a couple of days ago. So I fired the heater up in the garage and got it fitted. I had to use a little finesse on the fender to get a good fit... a bit of hole re-drilling, I'll have to weld up the old holes before body work in the spring... But I dig how it looks, think I chose wisely... (the RSD seats are made by Mustang, so I expect it to have good function on top ok looking good.)

I sold off the remaining take offs from the donor bike and was able to get my exhaust ordered. As a bonus, we've had a couple of days of warmer weather so I got out in the garage and got the chrome bits on the exhaust powder coated along with the intake. I also removed the engine covers and cleaned them up for powder... Chrome is such a pain in the ass to media blast in my puny little cabinet, I'll take those out to the powder coating shop and let them take care of those. The front cylinder's exhaust cam came out with the timing gear cover... :( hoping to be able to get that back in correctly with out having to pull the head. If I have to pull the head I'll do them both so that I can powder the push rod tubes... But here's the powdered parts for today.

trek97 said:
So nice bud. I need to get over to see you soon.

Indeed... plan on riding that K bike up sometime... Some friends and I go ride out to the Black Dog Smokehouse in Chambana occasionally... maybe I can get you to meet up for some of that good hipster BBQ they are pushing... (Love that place.)

Dropped off the engine covers off at the powder coater's today at lunch.... that's the last of the powder coating (Well... at least the stuff I'll have to source out. There's still not much left.)

I pulled the rocker boxes off today so that I could powder coat them. Just can't bring myself to leave them chrome. Now I gotta decide if I'm gonna go ahead and pull the heads so that I can also do the push rod tubes and bases. They will be the last of the chrome items on the bike... kind of a pain in the ass but might just be worth it to lose the last of the chrome bits. I'll get these media blasted, masked and powdered in the next day or two.

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

Got a set of Andrews N4 cams on the way now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom