www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 83 Yamaha TR1 cafe build  (Read 975 times)

Offline briandk

Re: 83 Yamaha TR1 cafe build
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2017, 13:59:23 »
Finally managed to get the pin out of the rear shock today. The solution was a few minutes heating it with a gas torch, followed by liberal amount of penetrating oil and more banging on it while disregarding the chance of hitting my own fingers. I also took off the backbone frame today, slowly getting the parts ready blasting and powdercoating. I still need to figure out what I'll do about the engine. I have the spare 81 engine which looks great (picture below), but not sure I want to change to the early type of starter, so still considering cleaning and painting this one.

Offline briandk

Re: 83 Yamaha TR1 cafe build
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:02:27 »
Waiting for a tool to remove the bearing races from the steering head, so I can get the frame painted. I seem to be having terrible luck with getting stuff shipped to me at the moment. Either the wrong items arrive or nothing at all.

Anyway, I moved the engine to a little wheeled board so I could push it around without breaking my back. I plugged the intake/exhaust up with silicone plugs and pushed it all out of the garage and gave it a good scrub with degreaser. I found a guy who says he can soda blast it without taking it apart, but so am still on the fence about that.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON