Blinker/Brake light (I know, the pinned post)

bergers

I bought a pair of dual filament brake lights/turn signals as well as a 5 wire curt trailer adapter. I read the pinned post multiple times, hooked it up as explained, and could not get either of the lights to actually blink. This is the first time blinkers or a brake light have been hooked up to this bike, so maybe there is a deeper issue? For the record I replaced the flasher relay, but is it possible I could have ruined it by mixing up the wires connecting the adapter? Either way before I drive myself crazy, how exactly would this combo be laid out, maybe I'm simply mixing wires up. For the record it is a cb550. To my knowledge, on the bike orange is left signal, blue is right signal, brown is running light, green/yellow is brake light, and green is common ground. I have these going to their respective places on the adapter, so it is the out side that I am unsure of. On the light there's black, black/white, and red.

Attachments

• 20171011_015408.jpg
    20171011_015408.jpg
    938.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 20171011_015349.jpg
    20171011_015349.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 238
It's been a couple of years since I tinkered with one of these, but there's some obscure setup to use if you have dual filament bulbs. Something about grounding the brake wire on the output side? Sorry, I can't remember the exact change, but it was something weird like that.

Sonreir said:
It's been a couple of years since I tinkered with one of these, but there's some obscure setup to use if you have dual filament bulbs. Something about grounding the brake wire on the output side? Sorry, I can't remember the exact change, but it was something weird like that.

Which is the brake wire? Black/white?

The brake wire on the trailer module should be labeled. Can't remember the color. Sorry.

Alright big update, a lot has changed. Since posting the thread I discovered lots of other wiring issues(mostly significant voltage drops) which led me to getting a new harness. Once this was fixed, I focused back on the rear tail light situation.

From experimentation with the lights, red is ground, black/white is brake/indicator filament, black is running light filament. I wired up the curt 55336 box with bullet connectors, and connected them appropriately to the bike harness. The running lights and brake lights come on as intended, however nothing flashes when I hit the handlebar switch. I later wired the light directly to the harness without the box, and discovered the flasher works, but only when the other filament of the bulb isn't on(such as if it were indicating for a turn with the running light). Could this be a bulb wattage problem?

Attachments

• 20180117_164738.jpg
    20180117_164738.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 204
I would have thought that, but when I hooked up the light to the bike harness without the box, the indicator filament wouldn't flash while the running light filament was on. Only when the running light filament was off it would flash.

Back
Top Bottom