www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Project two---a CB400F  (Read 1121 times)

Offline tattoo

Re: Project two---a CB400F
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2017, 13:47:17 »
Aha-----so it's the grain in the foam.  Who'da thunk that?

Thanks!

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2017, 13:50:51 »
Yeah, it's how the foam is poured into a mold.  If you've look close at the insulation foam you get at the hardware store, you can see it.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2017, 18:57:12 »
After some more staring and considering some other's input, we went for round 3 of sanding.

Taking the rear's dome shape down to a flatter surface accomplishes a couple of things --  continues to reduce its visual mass, and allows some of the gas tank's more angular lines to be picked up by the seat.   The rear portion's sides were also shaved more to be flatter.

I think we're there...

woot.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2017, 18:06:57 »
Oh look!!!!   An engine almost ready to be removed from a frame!!!   wow!!!!

Still poking at the seat foam as well....the left/right rises to the rear portion aren't totally symmetrical....so gotta run to the HW store for more 80grit.

The seat pan got some paint on it though.

And playing around with some 0000 steel wool and some metal polish to see where I can get them header pipes to..

Offline tattoo

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2017, 19:50:27 »
Drained the engine oil and removed the filter...

Wonder when this was last cleaned....

Pulled the sprocket cover off too.   That all should clean up nice

Pulled the slightly modified and primed spare swingarm off the shelf too and shaved the chainguard mounting stuff and filled the one bolt hole.   Got some sanding to do, then will spray again with primer.  Also figured I'd install the shock bushings prior to painting (I know....will have to do some masking...), and will tackle the pivot bushings next (bought some bronze ones to replace the plastic OEM units).

Gotta find a helper now to get that engine out of that frame!

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2017, 22:13:53 »
Looks like never...haha

Offline tattoo

« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2017, 23:28:09 »
Yup.   But there is some sort of satisfaction in cleaning up old parts eh....kinda therapeutic.

Couple of small to do's tackled this week.

The rear wheel will be taken apart to lace on the 2.15 rim, but in the meantime cleaned up the sprocket side with some 0000 steel wool....I'm loving this stuff!!

Got the rear shock bushings in.

And the swingarm pivot bushings in

They will be masked up when it comes time to paint.

And cleaned up the dust covers.   They looked like they had some black paint on them----were they black from the factory by chance?

And a couple of items on the lower triple.   Removed the steering lock key switch, to provide a spot to eventually attach a bottom mount headlight, did a little sanding to clean up the surfaces a bit, and sprayed with some satin black.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2017, 15:20:14 »
Pulled the engine out last night, and got the frame down to a "starting point" this morning.

There are so many little scratches and marks on the frame....(well, 42 years worth of the I guess eh?).   One of my goals for this bike is not to modify the frame in any way....and that (to me) includes messing with the factory paint.   Really hoping that once it's a motorbike again that the frame 'imperfections' will be almost tiny contributors to "character'.  They will, right?

Offline tattoo

« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2017, 20:55:31 »
Got the front rim back from the powdercoater.   Not an exact match to the already coated rear, but close enough I think.

Tackled the front wheel lacing puzzle, and after discovering a false start with the inner spokes, got back on track

Got the All Balls races in

Had to reshape the CB500 Four's lower triple so that it would clear the 400F frame's steering lock tab, repainted, and installed it all, and ran the forks up in as well.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2017, 16:43:45 »
Feels like I'm bouncing around like a frantic squirrel in the Fall...finding, collecting and stashing away nuts for the winter.

Trued up the front wheel, got the rear tire removed from the wheel, disassembled the rear wheel.

Rear hub will get cleaned up....

Managed to save and polish and reuse the spokes on the T500, but these are too far gone.   Ordered up a set of OEM this afternoon from the local dealer.  Should be in tomorrow.

In going through and cleaning up my front brake pieces, I notice that my two caliper brackets have different finishes...even after some polishing.....so....let's use up some of that Buell XB silver paint that I had left over..

What else can I get into?   Have some bits and pieces coming from 4into1, and got some o-rings from my local fasteners store so dug out the carbs and started getting organized to reassemble the bottom halves.

Before and after....

Tried some CRC heavy duty degreaser on the rear engine cases....wow....grime comes off quite easy with this stuff!

Also cleaned up and painted the engine brackets.  Will have to scrape away some paint on that rear one for the battery ground connection on re-assembly.

And I think I need to replace the head gasket, so started carefully and slowly disassembling the first engine I'll have worked on....baby steps!

Dropped off my tank with the guy who painted my T500 tank.  He's going to have his dent removal guys look at a couple of small dings in the tank---hoping to get them out without too much damage to the paint.  Ideally, will save it and re-freshen it up a little. 

And I have an OEM CB550 top triple and 400F seat cover coming my way too, so looking forward to continuing to build up the front end, and get my seat components to an upholsterer.