Powdercoating questions.

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
DTT BOTM WINNER
I've been calling around getting estimates on powder coating my YZF750 mag wheels. The last place I talked to won't do them because of their insurance liability. They say there is too much risk in possibly changing the temper of the alloy. He tells me the OEM's use infrared to bake the powder. No other shop I spoke to mentioned this.

Thoughts?

I've powdercoated several aluminum wheels and am not dead.
I think they are being a bit overcautious.

To make 6061 into 6061-T6 you have to heat it to 1000 degrees for an hour, quench it, then heat it again to 400 for another hour or so.

I don't think 20 minutes in the powder oven at 350 is going to change the alloy matrix.

I have however been wrong before

When you say Mag wheels are you using that as the slang for aluminum alloy or are they truly magnesium alloy wheels? That would make a difference as magnesium alloy is lighter but way more temperature sensitive. I have had alloy Honda wheels powdered without any issues so if they aren't really Magnesium the guy was full of shit.

Maritime said:
When you say Mag wheels are you using that as the slang for aluminum alloy or are they truly magnesium alloy wheels? That would make a difference as magnesium alloy is lighter but way more temperature sensitive. I have had alloy Honda wheels powdered without any issues so if they aren't really Magnesium the guy was full of shit.

Good point. Alloy, not Magnesium.

What about all the other load bearing and structural alloy items that get powder coated? Why do they only get upset about wheels?

I smell something , and it ain't pig, it ain't sheep, so it must be bull. Take your hoops elsewhere.

It's most common to be at 400° for 10 minutes. But there is no truth to what they told you. Find another coater.
Doesn't matter if it's aluminum or magnesium, the heat during cure will have no effect on the strength of the wheel.

canyoncarver said:
I've been calling around getting estimates on powder coating my YZF750 mag wheels. The last place I talked to won't do them because of their insurance liability. They say there is too much risk in possibly changing the temper of the alloy. He tells me the OEM's use infrared to bake the powder. No other shop I spoke to mentioned this.

Thoughts?

BOLLOX ..... utter BOLLOX. That's my thoughts.

I have coated hundreds of wheels mine and customer's, Alloys, magnesium whatever, find another coater man.

Neal~ said:
I have coated hundreds of wheels mine and customer's, Alloys, magnesium whatever, find another coater man.

I hear that. I found two places that are legit and prices are in the same range. Both have strong reviews online as well. Both shops do ceramic cerakote coating as well. I might end up taking a Colt 1911 I have to one of them.

I thought the temp thing with the one guy I talked to about insurance was bs too. I had not heard it before so just figured I'd run it up the pole.

I appreciate all the feedback. I ordered up a yamaha yellow sample from Prismatic. I'm hoping that's the winner.

Back
Top Bottom