hello. just got hit with the Cafe racer bug!

kzromey

Been Around the Block
hi peeps,
found out about this forum on gtam. nicely done! anyway, been lurkin on here all day and it just got me jonesin for cafe bikes even more. so here i am . . . on my n'th motorcycle forum! i really don't know when it's gonna end!

anywho, i just grabbed an old kz 650 and she's pretty much ready to rock. just gotta finish the seat, cafe style offcourse, get smaller lights and a bar end mirror and she's good to cruise the boulevards. i actually almost bought a kz 650 for a first bike back in university almost 10 years ago, this thing was mint! but opted for a nighthawk 550 instead cuz it would've been 300 bucks cheaper to insure. so, 2 vfr's and a vtr later, here i am goin oldschool with a kawi! wtf?! . then i saw this bike and had to have it! i'm a huge honda guy but these old kz's have hit a button in me that i can't explain..

so, just thought i'd introduce myself, and hope to learn more bout this awesome subculture of riding.

last thing, how'd the "do the ton" name come about anyway??

(oh and did i see a bunch of ya'll roll out to one of the dairy queen meets at broadview/pottery last year??)

kzromey

Hey man.. Welcome aboard..and yep.. that'd be us rolling up at the DQ..

Im glad that you like the forum.. enjoy!!

Cheers
N

Oh by the way... Its not a bug that you caught... Im sorry to say that its more like a virus that quickly spreads to every part of your body.. then it becomes an addiction of the mind... Eventually, you wont be able to think of anything else...Its a sickness really...LOL!!..

locOleoN said:
Oh by the way... Its not a bug that you caught... Im sorry to say that its more like a virus that quickly spreads to every part of your body.. then it becomes an addiction of the mind... Eventually, you wont be able to think of anything else...Its a sickness really...LOL!!..

you are absolutely right dude! lol! couldn't sleep last night thinking about ways to fab up a cafe seat! it's been a while since a motorcycle has gotten hold of me like this! yep, i'm sick already!

Yellowducky said:
Welcome Romey! When is the next party??

Steve! you're here too?! nice! party is on wednesday after the next, May 30th!! west end, we're gonna hold it down at enfield place near square one.

the do the ton crew are more than welcome to represent! it'd be great to meet ya'll, so hope to see you there!

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=35699

and thanks for the welcomes folks!

kzromey said:
hi peeps,
found out about this forum on gtam. nicely done!
so, just thought i'd introduce myself, and hope to learn more bout this awesome subculture of riding.
last thing, how'd the "do the ton" name come about anyway??
(oh and did i see a bunch of ya'll roll out to one of the dairy queen meets at broadview/pottery last year??)
kzromey

hi romey and welcome to the obsession. you probably do know a bunch of us around here...even if just by face or bike.

the board is great for learning, as i'm sure you've discovered. 'doing the ton' ..means hitting 100mph. not difficult for todays sportbikes, but back when this all started...it was the benchmark.

a cafe racer (term for both the rider and the type of bike) is just that..a biker racing from cafe to cafe, usually stripped of all unnecessary items!

now that you have your bike..you need a vintage leather jacket and some wicked patches to put on it! ;D ;D ;D

bmd

so that's what it is. kewl! guess i do the ton ALOT then! lol! i think my kz did 110 mph, lol! yeah, we all seem to take for granted what technology's done for us, and where it all started.

yep, definitely enjoyin this site more and more, i must've gone through all the pics twice around already and just kept drooling.

guess i need to be on the lookout for a vintage jacket too, hehe. still have my fishbowl and goggles from my wannabe ruffrider days on my first bike, lol! hmm, my bro's still in japan, maybe he can hook me up some, i know they have a huge cafe racer scene there too.

LOL...I have a crazy vintage looking modern jacket (back protector, etc..) thats too big for me. Size 42 that I can sell ya for cheap it you want...Brand spanking new, never been worn...cuz its to big for me...

JAcket2.jpg

JAcket.jpg

Slap a patch on that baby!!.. LOL..

Would amazing with a red simpson Bandit helmet!!..LOL...

dayum! nice jacket, and my bike is red too and i'm a 42, ha! hmm, we'll see, still got other little sh*tses to purchase. PM me with your best price. still have that other jacket? blue vintage one?

this kawasaki site specializes in the z1, kz1000 and kz650. might be something of interest:

http://www.americanclassix.com/home.html

welcome aboard! :)

kzromey said:
dayum! nice jacket, and my bike is red too and i'm a 42, ha! hmm, we'll see, still got other little sh*tses to purchase. PM me with your best price. still have that other jacket? blue vintage one?

ehhh.. I dont know...$150. Its brand new, heavy and never been worn and had all the modern padding shit...

Cheers
Noel

locOleoN said:
ehhh.. I dont know...$150. Its brand new, heavy and never been worn and had all the modern padding shit...

Cheers
Noel

Noel ... ya still have the jacket ??

yep.. I still do. Sitting in my closet
I usually wear a size 42 (in Vintage sizing cuz its usually cut smaller), and a size 40 in modern sizing. I accidently bought this jacket for some reason thinking it was vintage sizing so its a bit big on me on the chest and length. Im 5'7 160 pounds.

this other jacket is a dead perfect fit for me.
100-0009_IMG.jpg

100-0010_IMG.jpg

Give Jerome the pinoy discount man!

See Romey, I got your back !

Yellowducky said:
Give Jerome the pinoy discount man!

See Romey, I got your back !

ha ha, good lookin out home slice! i was going to opper him tirty-por pifty por da jakit! isa gud deal no?! lol!

Hey welcome Romey. I see it is you, the one who bought Blake's kz650.
Did you get his cafe seat with it?
Good to have you aboard. Hope to make it out to Mississauga on the 30th. 8)

How about some pix of the KZ project?

78kz said:
Hey welcome Romey. I see it is you, the one who bought Blake's kz650.
Did you get his cafe seat with it?
Good to have you aboard. Hope to make it out to Mississauga on the 30th. 8)

How about some pix of the KZ project?

hey Rob! yep got the cafe seat but it's gonna need some fenagaling, and i'd like to avoid having to hack the tail frame so it can be flush with the seat. so maybe just makin one up from an extra seat pan he had. i was thinking of either getting a sheet metal bubble fabbed for it OR just building up enough seat foam to that shape and then upholster it all.

no picks yet, but it's ready to ride. i remember there were a couple people in line to see the bike when i checked it out, there was even another guy there with me and we both decided that maybe i should grab it and i got there first (also after i gave him an opportunity to make an offer if he really wanted it). so, my appoligies out there if i beat you to the KZ! lol!

hope to see ya'lls on the 30th!

Back
Top Bottom