Noob from Milwaukee

baz

Hey, I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to go ahead and introduce myself. I recently picked up a 1980 Yamaha xs400 without a title for 100 bucks. I bought it with the intentions of teaching myself to ride/work on bikes and then move on to mahbe a sohc4 honda or something cooler and worth modding. I've replaced the battery and it starts up fine. The turn signals, neutral/oil lights used to work when I first got it home a few weeks ago but since the new battery they dont. The horn also used to work but again, since the new battery it doesnt.

My main concern is that my clothes reek of gas/fumes after i've ridden it. Whats the deal? It gives me a freakin' headache! I think I may throw a set of european bars on it because I feel like a dork riding around with the current ape hangers.

000_0364-2.jpg

Welcome aboard!!!.. Glad you found us!!..
The bike sure looks purdy!

Hey, I'd bet the xs400 could be dressed up like the xs650 :) Lots of potential in that bike. But yeah, get some lower bars :)

Check your fuses - might have blown something to have killed all those lights. Might just be one fuse on the bike - I'm not sure.

Smelling of gas is 1/2 the fun! But, it could be you're running rich. Need to check the plugs to see what color they are. You want a nice toasty brown. Think of the perfectly roasted marshmallow (unless you're like me and like to light them on fire and eat them black). Black/sooty = rich, white/clean = rich. Tan = goodness.

Also, old gas = smelly gas. How long has it been in the tank? Dump it if you can and get fresh fuel. At least top up with fresh fuel. Running some Seafoam (google that) through the gas will help clean things out a bit too.

Start with fresh plugs, airfilter and an oil change. Then check the valve clearances and timing (only need a $5 set of feeler gauges, a few metric wrenches - 8, 9 10mm etc. and a screwdriver to do this).

Clean the carbs without going nuts - drop the bowls, make sure the jets are clear etc. Nothing magic.

Once those things are done to spec (find yourself the right service manual - nothing wrong with Haynes or Clymer) then you can get a feel for how the bike is running and make adjustments if needed to the carbs.

Just your basic tune-up.

is it the right size battery? if the battery's a bit oversize maybe it's pumping out too much power and blowing the fuses.

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=4475.0

Welcome. Nice bike to start your cafe project on.

Black/sooty = rich, white/clean = rich. Tan = goodness

White actually is lean, and it's not good to be lean.

Yes of course - typo on my part (I put Rich in twice for some reason).

Back
Top Bottom