1993 CBR900RR - rebuilding an iconic super sport

Alright, I was able to get the new fairings installed with only a little drama. Here they are:

Exj4Gvbl.jpg

zbJ1o1jl.jpg

The quality was pretty good - they are definitely much thinner than the stock fairings, and not as flexible. I suspect they are not ABS plastic. Still, for the price of one piece of new OEM fairing I received the entire set, so I can't complain too much. The pieces were prepainted something that looks pretty close to Honda black, which was the base paint coat of the original fairings.

Tail on and test fitting the nose:

aMqzKDVl.jpg

Growing pile of old fairings:

D4Xlgh1l.jpg

Nose in place - this one actually has places to attach the headlight to, ooooh, fancy! The black smoked windscreen came with the kit, so on it went.

UP7okM5l.jpg

Building up the sides:

RIjOfFYl.jpg

B2Muco1l.jpg

Most everything in place:

gKgmcItl.jpg

jTGcCDwl.jpg

Ta da!

YWj8OH3l.jpg

I also replaced the rear brake pads, and the fronts are next. The rebuilt fuel pump also has to go back on. New mirrors and a hydraulic switch to let the rear brake trigger the brake light are en route, and that should get the bike pretty safe on the street. Thanks to the new fairings I actually have places to mount stock style turn signals on the front of the bike, and may go with that. I'm having trouble finding aftermarket signals that don't scream "squid" or "I dropped my bike so now I'm a stunter", so suggestions are appreciated.

The CB360's been driving me nuts, so I decided to spend a bit of time with the 900 last night. The first thing I worked on was installing the new OE replica mirrors. Cleverly, I took no pictures of this. Just look at the pictures of the old and busted mirrors and imagine them being new and shiny ;D

Next I attacked the turn signals. I live in an urban enough environment that turn signals are a must have.

I dug into my parts bin, and found a pair of Honda Shadow turn signals in plastic chrome. They fit though, so bling bling I guess?

XduI3VQl.jpg

The rear signals are off of a mid '80s Nighthawk:

wZJapt4l.jpg

Until I can get a new under fender with proper signal mounts, these will do.

As I mentioned, I live in an urban enough environment that signals are important. The bike did not come with a rear brake light switch, which I feel is a Problem. I use the rear brake a lot especially when coming up to a light where traffic is stopped, but was getting worried that without a working switch someone would cream me :p

Step one was trying to find where the switch should plug into. The factory service manual was extremely unhelpful, bleh, so I dug into the wiring harness.

Tank and seat off:

DIWCPacl.jpg

Hmm, I'm supposed to put a fuel pump back in this thing too, aren't I?

EHqJ7r2l.jpg

Found it - buried in the wiring to the CDI box, R/R, fuel pump and fuel pump relay, and rear lights. Of course, it is a male connector, and the hydraulic brake light switch I picked up also has a male connector. Doh.

ZSDx10Il.jpg

As this is somewhat of a restoration, I didn't want to chop up the stock wiring much more than I had to, so I got back on Ebay and found a good used stock rear brake switch for $5 shipped. Guess I should have done that first :p The hydraulic switch will go back into my tool box for the next project.

While the CB360 was making me crazy, I dug a bit deeper into the 900 and also reinstalled the fuel pump.

After pulling the air box, the coil packs were removed:

j8dSFtjl.jpg

Hey look, the top of the engine! I had to remove a plastic cover and a rubber splash shield under the coil packs, but here it is:

pN4SRTpl.jpg

Note how nicely my spare CBR600 stick coils fit in there. The stock spark plug wires are stiff and cracking, so I'm going to try an upgrade. Worst case, I replace the spark plug wires and reinstall the stock coils.

I removed the spark plugs to check them, and they were in hand tight :eek: Yikes!

UuDcm9Ul.jpg

Here they are:

MzoNhnwl.jpg

OtrJ87Rl.jpg

HB8uanYl.jpg

FW7pzf8l.jpg

They look pretty good, but the far left plug (#1 I think?) was a little wet with gas. I'm not sure if that's just due to what part of the combustion cycle the bike was on or what, but I'll keep an eye on them.

Here's the CBR600 coil wiring harness - to wire up these stick coils, coils #1 and #4 must be connected in series, and then coils #2 and #3 must be connected in series. Connect the paired up sticks to the stock wiring, and rock and roll!

7t3W8Fvl.jpg

I have to get some spark plugs - might as well replace them while I'm at it and the gaps look a bit wide to me - and solder up the new coil stick harness. Hopefully my rear brake light switch will be here soon so I can button up the wiring and ride this thing!

MYszKurl.jpg

Wow, I've kind of let this thread lapse...

Here are the pictures of it I used to put it up on Craigslist for $2200. Time to move on to the next project. If any DTTers in the Ann Arbor / Metro Detroit Michigan area are interested in it, I'm glad to give you preferred pricing ;D

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/4559468337.html

iSwpFR4l.jpg

OJ5jLHnl.jpg

j92He08l.jpg

y4uLvoel.jpg

And the bike sold to the first guy to look at it for full asking price. I have cheated death again by not getting killed by this road missile...on to next!

EL Sammo said:
Nice, so the coil over plug conversion worked out well?

Actually, the coil over plug units were too tall to allow the air box to fit on top of the cylinder head. I'm not sure if they changed the motor design with the later 929/1000 models or what. They plugged in, they worked, I couldn't get the air box or the gas tank back on, whoops!

I still think that using them on my 360 would have been the best idea ;D
SV10L8xl.jpg

To wrap up this thread (or not), here's the before and after pictures of the 900:

Before:
INJW9l.jpg

After:
0yEvnU8l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom