What do you know about diesel air compressors?

coalnation

Live long and prosper.
Well let me get to it... I am looking to purchase a diesel air compressor with a CFM of 375. I've been looking for about a month and haven't been able to find anything locally. I've seen some stuff pop up that I can afford around the country but they seem to sell pretty fast. Anyways, I was able to find a Detroit Diesel Generator locally that I believe I would be able to afford. It helps that it's for sale only a few miles away from where I live. Now let me get to the point of this post.

How could I convert this diesel generator into a diesel air compressor? I haven't ever really been around a large compressor like this so I am unsure of how everything works. I have rented a larger compressor a couple of times but never really checked it out thoroughly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The generator model is 1977 Detroit Diesel Model 7123-7305

Thank you!

All the diesel compressor I have seen are for construction/Jack hammers you can buy one off rental shops or construction equipment auctions.

Cafe_to_go said:
All the diesel compressor I have seen are for construction/Jack hammers you can buy one off rental shops or construction equipment auctions.

Yeah I have looked at rental shops in my area. The cheapest I have been able to find is about $15,000. My area sucks for finding used equipment.

I use too build Detroit diesel generators back in the 80's
A Diesel genset is a just a diesel engine hard connected to a generator, straight onto the back of the engine with the correct adaptor/flywheel with the engine governed to a set rpm (1500rpm is standard here in Australia for 60hz supply)

imgLarge.php

would still need fan/radiator, exhaust, batteries, etc. to get this one going as a genset :)

So what you are planing, is to throw away the white part and the find a compressor that will bolt up >>> I don't think it is worth the trouble :(

Back
Top Bottom