chicken 76 cb750 super sport

chicken0207

Been Around the Block
I got my hands on a sweet 1976 super sport with 18400 original miles on it in trade for my 1980 cb900 custom
IMAG0170.jpg

Great looking bike and i cant wait to get it up and running my work list as of right now is :
-put on rebuilt carbs
-get key cut
-change fluids
-get stuck gas cap off and clean tank
Then im going to build a rear seat for it drop on a set of clubman bars and get some low profile turn signals and maybe a low profile tail light maybe paint depending on how i feel and shock depending on my budget

Bleed the front brakes , took off the side covers, and am in the process of bleeding the rear brakes and fitting the rebuilt carbs on it, going to be putting in a new ignition and steering baring along with new throttle cables in a few days when they come in. Ill put up some pictures Wednesday or Thursday

Chicken

I started cleaning the tank today

IMAG0183.jpg

all the crap that was inside that well i had to get out of the

IMAG0184.jpg

the paint looks in pretty fair shape

IMAG0185.jpg

the tank is in rough shape and im going to kream coat it pretty soon

IMAG0188.jpg

all the parts before i clean and sand them a bit

Some words of advice...Kream liner sucks. I lined a tank a few years ago with it and it failed. Alot of guys have had success with POR15 and Caswell liners.

YogiBear said:
Some words of advice...Kream liner sucks. I lined a tank a few years ago with it and it failed. Alot of guys have had success with POR15 and Caswell liners.

Thats strange, the guy at my local shop swears by it an uses nothing else , hes done something like 300 bikes and never had it fail .

chicken0207 said:
Thats strange, the guy at my local shop swears by it an uses nothing else , hes done something like 300 bikes and never had it fail .

well, for whatever it's worth that's my 2 cents. I posted that to try and be helpful not to be rude. Sorry if it came off that way.

YogiBear said:
well, for whatever it's worth that's my 2 cents. I posted that to try and be helpful not to be rude. Sorry if it came off that way.

I didn't think you were being offensive at all man , i jsut thought it was weird that it failed for you i have heard a lot of good things about it, i appreciate the advice especially as a broke 17 year old scraping all his penny's nickels and dimes together for everything on this bike.

I'll say it and I'd even go so far as to be rude about it. KREEEM SUCKS BALLLLZZ.

Might be great for the first few days/months even years... but how many of us have had to use MEK and other nasty chemicals to get rid of a peeling KREEM liner? I wouldn't buy a tank with KREEM in it.

There are many better products on the market. POR15 for example. Not a thick goopy coating - super thin paint like substance and awesome prep/cleaning agents. They specialize in coatings and know what they're doing. KREEM specializes in selling bottles of thick white goop.

Some old guy in a bike shop who's done 300+ tanks with KREEM can swear by it till he's blue in the face - doesn't make him right. Just makes him stubborn. Maybe once you've done 300 tanks you get good enough at applying it that it actually lasts. Guaranteed he doesn't care what happens to those tanks 3 years down the road. I do mine for myself and care a great deal and I like POR15.

Tim said:
I'll say it and I'd even go so far as to be rude about it. KREEEM SUCKS BALLLLZZ.

Might be great for the first few days/months even years... but how many of us have had to use MEK and other nasty chemicals to get rid of a peeling KREEM liner? I wouldn't buy a tank with KREEM in it.

There are many better products on the market. POR15 for example. Not a thick goopy coating - super thin paint like substance and awesome prep/cleaning agents. They specialize in coatings and know what they're doing. KREEM specializes in selling bottles of thick white goop.

Some old guy in a bike shop who's done 300+ tanks with KREEM can swear by it till he's blue in the face - doesn't make him right. Just makes him stubborn. Maybe once you've done 300 tanks you get good enough at applying it that it actually lasts. Guaranteed he doesn't care what happens to those tanks 3 years down the road. I do mine for myself and care a great deal and I like POR15.

So this is what you suggest i use to do the tank
http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/CTRK/

Welp i managed to get all the bolt loosend to pull of the rear caliper so if im still in town tomorrow im going to prop it up on the center stand, pull of the muffler, and then pull the darn rear caliper off clean it see if it needs rebuilding and flush the rear master. By any chance what size is the coder pin for the torque linkage nut , i may have lost it :( so help getting a new one would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in how easy you find the POR-15 to use (if that is the route you go). I'm debating using it in a tank myself, but if it is a PITA then I might find someone else to do the dirty work.

ScrapMetal said:
I'm interested in how easy you find the POR-15 to use (if that is the route you go). I'm debating using it in a tank myself, but if it is a PITA then I might find someone else to do the dirty work.

Im not sure yet exactly which way im going with the tank at this point, but im also considering having my tank done by someone else if i can ever make the money for it :-\

Long time no update but i figured i should. My awesome parents have had the motor rebuilt by a friend of ours who is a bike mechanic by trade , turns out the whole inside of the motor was rusted solid but that has now been taken care of new piston rings, head gaskets , a custom harley style wiring harness and drag bars( wiring was totally f :-X :-X :-X ed)and a bunch more parts and this baby should be as good if not better than when it rolled off the assembly line . It should be returning back to my posetion soon and my plans are to remove the center stand, luggage rack, possibly the horns, turn signals front and possibly back, led tail light, build some flat side panels for the battery compartment and when i get money rear progressive suspension, a single seat, norton style honda graphics , either progressive front end or do a 600f front fork and wheel swap.

ScrapMetal said:
Awesome indeed!

The best birthday gift i have ever been given that is for sure , we came home after a vacation and my baby wasent in the garage , so needless to say many a foul word were shouted along with call the police, when they finally called me down and told me where the bike was i was in total disbelief.

Just payed for a set of koni shocks :) ill put up pictures when i get them on my doorstep and ill put up pictures of them on the bike when i get it back.

Back
Top Bottom