saving a 1980 KZ750 twin

I ground the tool for the buttress thread and went for it. I remeasured the threads and it was 10 tpi. The threads didn't come out perfect but they very snugly grip the gauge so i'm calling it a success.
IMG_2007_zpshqsqepdg.jpg

IMG_2012_zpsc1lt3krn.jpg

IMG_2011_zpslyqam1ev.jpg

I have been doing some brainstorming on the solution for the oil light. I figured since the tach is integrated into headlight why not integrate the oil light into the inside of the left fork ear? it might look stupid once i mock it up, but i'm entertaining any possible idea right now.

IMG_2013_zpssvaxbyay.jpg

If my memory serves me right, those fork legs had a rubber cap that fit the square insets, maybe mount the light in one and the neutral in the other with some real small ABS tubes for wires tight on the back side out of view?

The art is damn nice too by the way. I would shed a few dollars for a good Foose style of some of my bikes??

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Damn, with sketch skills like that I take it you're an Industrial Designer? Looking good!
yes. also currently pursuing a MFA in ID as well, hence the access to tools I can't afford.

Tune-A-Fish said:
If my memory serves me right, those fork legs had a rubber cap that fit the square insets, maybe mount the light in one and the neutral in the other with some real small ABS tubes for wires tight on the back side out of view?

The art is damn nice too by the way. I would shed a few dollars for a good Foose style of some of my bikes??

Yeah I thought about the fork tube cap but the light is so big it would have to stick up pretty high and look weird.
Unfortunately in-between work, school, and my own projects I hardly have time for anything else. If your not in a rush I might be able to make something happen this summer.

Had a little down time today so I re did the gauge housing. The threads are much nicer this time. You can see the one on the right has less chatter in the thread. I also added a little lip that I will leave polished with the rest painted. As much as I would like to use this headlight I think it is throwing the proportions off so in gonna look for one a little bigger, like a 6.25"

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 441
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 431
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 418
I picked up this 6.25" headlight. I think the proportions are much nicer now.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.JPG
    IMG_2028.JPG
    847.2 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 433
  • IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 433
  • IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    822.7 KB · Views: 419
Got a start roughing out the footpeg brackets today

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 428
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-CB750-Cafe-Racer-Shelby-Dowd-Wheel-Set-CB-750-Lester-Henry-Abe-/301878429657?hash=item46495b47d9:g:KEgAAOSwk5FUyFyX

s-l1600.jpg

:eek:

Got some more work in on the footpeg brackets. I screwed up and mis-calculated the chamfer on the folding boss and cut too deep. So I fired up the tig and put a dab on there and filed it back down. It looks ok. It's on the bottom so you won't see it when it's mounted. Still a ways to go. I have no real clue what I'm doing so the going is slow.

Attachments

• image.jpeg_thumb2.png
    image.jpeg_thumb2.png
    743.5 KB · Views: 1,142
  • image.jpeg_thumb.png
    image.jpeg_thumb.png
    746.2 KB · Views: 1,350
doc_rot said:
the only bummer about doing the tach/headlight combo is there is no logical place to put this oil light. any suggestions?
Drill a hole through the stem cap nut and mount it there.

Now that is a great idea. I will take a look at that. How much material do you think I can safely remove from the bolt with out compromising it?

doc_rot said:
Now that is a great idea. I will take a look at that. How much material do you think I can safely remove from the bolt with out compromising it?
What bolt? The stem is hollow and has a cap nut on top. Drill a hole in the cap nut and run the wires out the bottom of the stem. You could cut the whole top of the nut off without compromising it's operation.

o1marc said:
What bolt? The stem is hollow and has a cap nut on top. Drill a hole in the cap nut and run the wires out the bottom of the stem. You could cut the whole top of the nut off without compromising it's operation.
These KZs have a bolt instead of a nut. The inside of the stem is threaded, then the bolt tightens down with a thick washer.

deviant said:
These KZs have a bolt instead of a nut. The inside of the stem is threaded, then the bolt tightens down with a thick washer.

Small wires big bolt? drill through it and counter sink the light in the cap as shown.

The school/work combo has been kicking my ass and I haven't gotten any time in on the projects. I needed an easy win so I did sneak a little time on the lathe and made the tach plug.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 402
Finally got a start on the stainless header. Exhaust flanges next

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 397
Id have to try harder at sourcing some appropriate tube for that. I couldn't find any stainless tube that met the ID and OD requirements so I turned these out of a solid chunk of 2" 304. It took FOREVER.

And likely why they don't exist in our world, no cost effective materials. I want four when you find it for KZ1000

Back
Top Bottom