1973 Triumph T140 (video on page 5)

AndrewDoesHair

Been Around the Block
I have a friend who is pretty much a guru when it comes to Triumph (and other bikes from that side of the pond). He helped me find and work on my first bike (1980 Suzuki GS750. Thread around here, somewhere), which I purchased because I couldn't afford the Triumph I really wanted. Well, a few days ago he asked me if I wanted to build a Triumph, then he told me he had an old basket case of a frame in the barn behind his house. He said if I am willing to do the work, I can pretty much have it. I have no idea where I want to take the build, but he keeps sending me pics of scramblers, and mentioning high pipes, this and that... Here is the frame so far
IMG_6452.jpg

So what do you think? Anyone care to post some inspirational and motivational bike pr0n?

Re: 1973 Triumph

i would be all over that offer if i were you

Attachments

• Triumph-Scrambler.jpg
    Triumph-Scrambler.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,193
  • C&J Triumph 031.jpg
    C&J Triumph 031.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 3,810

If I want to paint this frame, is it necessary to strip the old paint first? If so, what is the best method? Heat gun and scraper? Sandpaper? Chemical stripper (Citrustrip, aircraft stripper, etc)? And when I go to paint it, will nirocellulose or acrylic lacquer be fine, or should I get some kind of catylized urethane? I assume I should mask off any holes or threads first, right?

Also, is there any place or resource online to do easy mock ups of different bikes and color schemes? I know of a few guitar forums that have flash-driven customizable "dressing rooms" to help visualize guitar projects...

Thanks!

So I pulled that frame out of the barn and scoped the thing out. I maybe should have put this in the tracker/scrambler/something section, because I'm finding out it's a lot far from stock, and I'm liking that... I knew the frame had been modified, but I didn't know the full extent of it. After dusting it off and talking to the amazing friend who gave(!) it to me, it seems the frame was modified by a guy he knew, about 20 years ago, then it sat in the same spot in this barn for 15 years. The guy who owned it gave it to my friend, and my friend just gave it to me. We have the 750cc engine case with matching numbers, too, so that's a plus when we try to register it, right?

I guess I'll start at the front of the frame. The original owner had the trees chrome plated, but they have some pitting and rust now, so I may refin those. The neck of the frame has had some extra steel welded to it, possibly to add rigidity, but more likely for aesthetics. I don't mind it- looks custom, and I didn't have to do it. The center stand mounts have been cut off, as have the tank mounts (I'll probably fabricate some to put a stock, or older, tank back on). And the seat bar area has been shortened. He also put a stainless steel fender thing on the back- I'll keep that. This is my first heavy project, ever, and I have only had my first bike for about a month, so please excuse me if my terminology is incorrect.

532528_502984389722433_1030648409_n.jpg

I have the frame in my garage now, and I plan on stripping off all the paint. This red paint is chipping off a lot anyways, and we want to get the bike assembled and built the way we want it before we do the painting, in case we should decide to weld or cut anything else after it's together. Now, I have a lot of experience stripping and painting guitars, and I'd found that the easiest way to remove an epoxy type paint like this, is to use a heat gun and a scraper. Has anyone tried that on a frame? Id it particularly difficult? Or should I just go get some aircraft stripper and not waste any time?

I'll fill you in on my little burbling brain, as far as this project goes. I guess this model contained the oil right inside the frame (see the cap on top?), and so the completed bike will have no visible oil tank. This is good- streamlined. We are going to mount everything we can, hidden, under the seat. Anything that doesn't need to be on the bike, won't be there. Anything that needs to be on the bike, will be as small as possible. I've been looking at a lot of scramblers and trackers, and I really REALLY like the look of the Jack Pine Hammarhead, particularly the basic black on black on black color scheme (though mine will have a brown seat and brown grips) and things like the exhaust pipes looking like they were borrowed from under the sink (though mine will probably be wrapped), and the hidden turn signals inside the seat.
triumph-t100-1.jpg

triumph-t100-3.jpg

I absolutely love the desert sled look, but I don't know if I plan to actually be hitting the desert. I almost want this to look like an early dirt bike but on street tires. But you never know, I may end up going in the most completely insane opposite direction from here, after I get going. I am planning on going out to the desert pretty soon, with a friend, to ride a few of his vintage scramblers (he actually owns the two sitting in the background of this video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unaRkye1OBk
I may fall in love with that ride and end up making this thing the dirtiest desert sled you ever saw... Who knows?

DUDE sounds awesome Killer Score I can't wait to see this Desert Sled Come alive....PM me some Guitar patterns if you have time ...I'm building a some birdhouses from license plates and want to make a few guitar shaped ones

167447_506715946015944_1861591214_n.jpg

She's ready for the aircraft stripper. As soon as this paint is off, we start fitting parts and making changes where necessary. The previous owner removed the stand mounts and tank mounts, so I know at least that will have to be changed..

This was after 2 hours of applying aircraft stripper, waiting for the paint to soften, scraping, reapplying, waiting, scraping, reapplying, waiting, wire brushing, then wiping through 17 rolls of paper towels...
546675_507761509244721_338779017_n.jpg

This was after another 2 hours at it, the next day...
548616_508088165878722_273518032_n.jpg

Then when I felt like I was half done, I flipped the frame and saw that I was about 1/3 done... This task SUCKS.
6948_508125909208281_1396703610_n.jpg

I will track down an abrasive gun next time I need to do this...

So I was surfing around, and I found a Triumph that gave me a boner. I love the way this one has a traditional looking placement of color (the little design on the tank), but a very non-traditional look overall. I've always liked trying to do that with my projects (mostly guitars, which LOOK like 1960's replicas, but have hot rodded innards or specs). Let me see if I can find that image again...
triumph-bonneville-b-4_460x0w.jpg

Re: 1973 Triumph T140 (frame up build)

The way of the sled for this one man ,the way of the sled,

Fun times with that aircraft paint stripper. Nasty stuff if you get it on your skin.

Haven't gotten anywhere recently, with this, but I just found these pics and got WAY inspired. The look of this bike would just be PERFECTION for me.
triumph-bonneville-custom.jpg

triumph-bonneville-custom-4.jpg

I'm going to aim for this kind of look...

I'll just drop this here:
150906_298049916983448_372945745_n.jpg

be sure to contact Choppahead if your friend doesn't know the answer to anything you come across. We finished this desert sled about a month ago. For anyone interested, that bike is for sale - only $5000

The frame still isn't completely stripped, but it should just be one more session... I got an email from my mechanic friend, who is helping me with this, and he listed out all the parts he has laying around for this project. Got me motivated.

By the way as soon as the frame is done I will give you a pile of Engine and frame bits to clean. Even more fun!
Here is what I have envisioned for your first Triumph:

1973 T140 frame and engine
4 speed gearbox out of 1970 T120
performance camshafts
1971 fork and wheels
1971 small fuel tank
Bates type solo seat..

He also told me to quit whining, pretty much
keep sanding/stripping the frame. Then the hard part comes! Lots of bits to clean and polish! Building a bike is about 85% drudgery and tedium.
It separates the real Motorcyclists from the checkbook cyclist.
A bit of heartbreak will surely be mixed in with the process when a bunch of work ends up being useless. Be ready but keep the goal in sight.

MJPriceisright said:
wow... thats one hell of a mess.

But it was FREE! And at the end I'll know how to work on every part of this bike. My mentor dumped this on me as a "teach a man to fish" sort of deal. He owns 46 vintage European bikes and could have given me 3 completed bikes without missing them, but when I'm fluent in this bike It'll be worth a lot more to me than being handed something someone else built...

AndrewDoesHair said:
But it was FREE! And at the end I'll know how to work on every part of this bike. My mentor dumped this on me as a "teach a man to fish" sort of deal. He owns 46 vintage European bikes and could have given me 3 completed bikes without missing them, but when I'm fluent in this bike It'll be worth a lot more to me than being handed something someone else built...

seems like you have one smart mentor, best way to learn is to dive right in. and all the better its free.. i just find myself nickel and diming to death when i get into something like that, gaskets here, circlips there, missing bolts, replacing bolts.. haha

Back
Top Bottom