CB750 DOHC triple tree restoration?

enterlance

Hi guys,

I have a CB750F Dohc that has a really rusty and bad looking top/lower triple tree. I took them off the frame and wanted to derust and repaint them. My question is how do you separate the lower triple tree from the stem? I don't have any specialty tools for this, is this doable? Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure they are pressed and welded in, so you would need a grinder and a press to get the stem out, then a press and a welder to weld it back in. You don't necessarily need to separate the stem from the triple to de-rust and restore it.

irk miller said:
I'm pretty sure they are pressed and welded in, so you would need a grinder and a press to get the stem out, then a press and a welder to weld it back in. You don't necessarily need to separate the stem from the triple to de-rust and restore it.

That's actually great to hear, I don't want to separate them if possible, as I'm not smart enough and might break things lol. Could you briefly teach me how to do it without removing the stem? Appreciate!!

That's not hard. You may want to replace the lower bearing and that makes things easier. All you need to do is to mask teh stem. You can wrap it in tape or get a length of suitable tube (PVC is fine) to slip over the stem while you wire brush it or shot blast it or paint it with rust killer gel.

To get the lower bearing inner race off, I use a moto tool and cutoff disks. Cut the roller cage and remove it and the rollers, then carefully grind through the race, trying not to hit the stem. When you get the slot deep enough, sometimes you will hear a "tink" as it separates, sometimes helping with a small chisel and hammer will split the final amount. Then use screwdrivers and small chisel to work it off. Save the old race to use driving the new race on.

Back
Top Bottom