1979 KZ650 build - "Painters Tape"

beard

pro blowhard
Well I got a 79 KZ 650 yesterday..
kzside.JPG

A really really rough draft of a seat :)
kzseat.JPG

Being an idiot and a garage cafe racer
kzride.JPG

I printed this bike off and hung it on the wall to keep the goal in focus
This is HerrDeacon's epic bike that I have photoshopped a bit to my liking.
kzcafe.JPG

Hope to keep this page updated as I make progress. Thanks again to all here.. You have a awesome site here, everyone is so friendly and helpful.

Adam

Re: 1979 KZ650 build

Looks good beard, better looking that mine when I started.

Your mockup looks something like I photoshopped a while back. Just checked out the pic I did and it was back in November 2008 :eek:. Only thing I got around to doing was to lower the gauges (other bikes taking my time :) ). Here is what I had mocked up, looks close to what you have in mind.

Best of luck and I'll be following your progress.

Changes.jpg

Yay another kawi four banger. I will be watching your progress. Please keep us updated. Let us know if you need any help.

well.. im not sure what happened to my camera, but it flashes very very fast and all the picures come out dark. i reset settings to factory.. i dont know if someone dropped it or what.. but anyways

not sure how you guys do it... but to remove the forks to get off the headlight ears.. I have a sloped garage with a drain in the middle.. put the front tire at the lowest part.. center standed the bike then loaded 200lbs of sand on the rear lol... front tire was high in the air.. used a thin jack... lowered front end.. jacked it back up... tighted bolts.. remove sand.
kzsand.JPG

got the wheels cleaned up (not spokes yet)
started polishing the left front lower fork.
started polishing the points cover
headlight and gauges, turns mirrors removed
just general time consuming cleaning of things.
have bars,grips,mirrors,headlight bracket coming today.
kz411.JPG

i actually have put alot of time into it.. though you cant really tell yet.

anyone have any suggestions for a digital tach.. i was looking at those acewell 2802's.. anyone have any expeience with them?
any suggestions on tires? i guess a 100/90/19 front and 120/90/18 rear. i was looking at bridgestone bt45's

BigBSBusa said:
Interesting method of fork removal.

and this is when you laugh and tell me a completely simple way to do it.. and i get that ahhhh moment like the time im sitting at the back of the bike after 10 mins of trying to figure out why the neutral light turns off when i put it into first but the rear tire spins freely.

no chain dummy!

Re: 1979 KZ650 build - Project "Grandma"

You mention the Acewell gauges. I haven't used em myself but a lot, and i mean a lot of folks on here have. They seem to be good solid clocks champ plus i'm betting if you got into trouble and put up a how to question, you'd have some help. Keep it up matey.

Beard said:
and this is when you laugh and tell me a completely simple way to do it..........

Kinda - bike on centrestand, remove top triple clamp and slide the headlight ears off. 4 bolts max..... ;D

Looking good ;)

bars on.
starting to go in the right direction now
413seat.JPG

that front fender needs to get smaller soon

Re: 1979 KZ650 build - "Quad Ought"

started to have some fueling issues. cough
424_1.JPG

424_2.JPG

rear section of tank is just sitting on top of frame. obviously its going to lower covering the frame.
new tank and turn signals are in the mail, small 12v 6amp battery is here.
cut the seat pan.. gonna start working on getting the head light and electronics planned tonight.

its getting a little wild over here... cleaning up the garage tonight
424_3.JPG

Looking good Beard! Keep it up man! Still havent offloaded the others yet?

VonYinzer said:
Looking good Beard! Keep it up man! Still havent offloaded the others yet?

have a couple people from criags interested for $600 for both which i think is fair both ways.
but i just brought the 450 back to my house at 1am last night from ohiopyle area.. so hopefully soon.

kind of excited.
got the tank and did some fitting.. rear hump is close to where its going to be..
need to cut / square up the the seat foam now

429side.JPG

Shaping right up!

Funny....that pic above showing the original front half of the tank still on the bike...made me think about sheeting all the way across between the tank front and the now seat cowl. You could stick some black rave foam along the top and call it an Ollie Free tribute!

got the dyna s elec igntion in
6_9_1.JPG

kinda scary how things work out..
i cut a spare gas tank in half to use the rear section as my rear hump.. hoping the same curves of the gas tank and gas tank hump will "flow"
anywho.. i took the rear section of the seat that i cut off and it oddly fits right inside the cut rear tank and provides a shelf for my small battery.
its wild.. it angles up and everything providing me with a lower end of the hump so things are level.. hard to explain.. but sweet.. dood.. sweet dood! whats mine say?
6_9_2.JPG

Re: 1979 KZ650 build - "Peg Leg"

We've got lot's of parts for 650/750 KZ if you need any, and we're looking for a 4/1 for a 650/750

killerdwarf said:
We've got lot's of parts for 650/750 KZ if you need any, and we're looking for a 4/1 for a 650/750

who is we?
u talking a shop or something? or ur multiple personalities?

OK, I have a buddy. He has a shitload of parts for 650, and 750. He talks alot, but never really does what he says, and when he does it's always too little too late! So.... if you want parts for your bike, contact me, and I'll kick his ass into getting them! He's going to ask me what they're worth anyways.

Back
Top Bottom