Yes, another CB360 Project - BRGT

BBQ's make good curing ovens, I'm just saying. ;D

Shoulda seen the look on my old ladies face when stuck some of the parts in the dishwasher and and filled the soap up and flipped it on. She was like, "DOES THIS MEAN I'M GETTING A NEW MACHINE???" :eek: HAHAHAHAAAAA UM NO! ;D

Wangofree said:
I'm saving up my "good husband" points so I can reassemble my motor on the kitchen table this winter. ;D

Good luck w that! LOL. I think thats where even my old lady would draw the line.

Wangofree said:
I'm saving up my "good husband" points so I can reassemble my motor on the kitchen table this winter. ;D
HOWEVER, The wheels have started turning...First, bring up the motor build on kitchen table...Then bring up a 240vac forced air heater AND small window A/C unit for CHRISTMAS!!!

Screenshot2012-11-14at84127PM.png

Heres the heater I have, 17 Illinois winters now and still going strong. I love this thing...keeps my crappy two car garage comfy. even when down to zero for weeks on end. Its small and comes w wall mount adjustable bracket.

and my dinky little old A/C unit kept it 68-78 cool and dry in there all summer, over 100 + temps outside & crazy humid.
acinstalled.jpg

trek97 said:
Good luck w that! LOL. I think thats where even my old lady would draw the line.

I just asked my old lady if I can rip down the kz engine in the living room. I got the OK just as long as I make a space for it. Awesome. 8)

+1 +2 on the Heater and AC, there's no way I can work in my garage for very long during the summer or the winter with out them.

More progress today. I hope to get the motor put back together this weekend.
My day started with finishing cleaning up the cases for paint. The hardest part of the task is getting the old gasket material off. Paint stripper works great on softening up the head gasket.

All stripped and ready for paint.

Duplicolor "Aluminum" 500 deg paint turned out nice. I tried their "Cast Aluminum" on a piece of scrap and didn't like the result.

Hopefully I can button it up in the next day or two. I'm glad I put all the pieces and parts in plastic bags. It took awhile to figure out what went where. It's so easy to think, "oh, I'll know where that goes" as you're tearing the bike down, only to discover you don't remember, and the manual is not 100% clear.

I have the downloaded CB360 manual, but was hoping I'd have the Clymer manual by now. Not sure if it will add any info, but for a first timer, I'm sure it will help.

Started cleaning up the forks while waiting for paint to dry. This is the initial wire wheel cleaning. I will be definitely polishing these.

I can never get enough of bringing something back to life with a little elbow grease. I love my wire wheel. ;D

Mike

Nice. That engine looks beautiful. How'd you clean it before paint? wire wheel, soda blast?

Matthew said:
Nice. That engine looks beautiful. How'd you clean it before paint? wire wheel, soda blast?

I wish I had a big enough compressor for a soda blaster Matt. I used my wire wheel, and a lot of different smaller wire wheel attachements on my cordless drill. What I couldn't get to I used Aircraft stripper.

Originally I was going to try and polish everything, but I realized the results would be spotty, so I opted for paint.

Wangofree said:
Thanks Trek. This being my first project it feels like things are moving slow. . . ;)
Apparently you didnt read through my engine rebuild...Seems it was weeks of hell, frustration, pulling hair, torture...then finally sweet, purrs like a kitten success...(a very loud kitten)

Wangofree said:
Thanks Trek. This being my first project it feels like things are moving slow. . . ;)

not as slow as my build. my engine is sitting in the back of my wife's car... waiting to be disassembled (in the car) and brought upstairs to my apartment.

Things went well today. (I feel your pain Matt). Completed assembly on the motor. That's the payoff for long hours of cleaning, polishing, head scratching. . .

I love the look of stainless allen bolts. It gives the motor a beefier industrial like look.

Finished the day polishing front forks. One down, one to go. . .

Wangofree said:
I love the look of stainless allen bolts. It gives the motor a beefier industrial like look.

wow those allen bolts are sweet - where'd you pick those up?

Looking great. Is the shark hide coating on there in the pics we see now? Did you use thread sealant on the SS bolts, to prevent galling?

Back
Top Bottom