Would you buy this cx500?

jbeebe

Been Around the Block
Howdy-ho friends,

Because I really need a third mc in the garage, and another cafe project, i'm thinking of buying a cx500. It's the deluxe with ~40k miles on it. Otherwise decent shape, starts and runs. I plan on stripping it completely down to do a cafe build anyway.

$500, would you do it!?!?

I wouldn't take a CX500 if it came with $1000 cash!

Not very good bikes, and terrible café racers.

surffly said:

I understand they have a couple issues to watch out for, but overall aren't they regarded as solid and long-lasting?

I love the looks of the v-twin cafe and am looking for something a little different than the million cb projects out there.

yes they are a durable bike
there soft spots are the cam chain and guides........many people don't adjust it in a timely manner and they go by by
the cdi and stator....the cdi box being 20 plus years old can just pack it in or the source coil on the stator stops sending a signal for the CDI........the work around for this (if the stator still puts out power) is to get an ignitech.
Chains and guides can be had a Davidsilverspares.com
And if you want to wake that motor up, get a mikuni carb kit from Speed Motoco......they come with intakes and all jetted ready to go, plug and play

Kamn said:
yes they are a durable bike
there soft spots are the cam chain and guides........many people don't adjust it in a timely manner and they go by by
the cdi and stator....the cdi box being 20 plus years old can just pack it in or the source coil on the stator stops sending a signal for the CDI........the work around for this (if the stator still puts out power) is to get an ignitech.
Chains and guides can be had a Davidsilverspares.com
And if you want to wake that motor up, get a mikuni carb kit from Speed Motoco......they come with intakes and all jetted ready to go, plug and play

AWESOME! thanks for the info!

surffly said:

Finally we agree on something! No CX is worth putting gas in.

jbeebe said:
I understand they have a couple issues to watch out for, but overall aren't they regarded as solid and long-lasting?

I love the looks of the v-twin cafe and am looking for something a little different than the million cb projects out there.

Death trap... unless you set the rev limiter to 1200rpm and remove all but second gear.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Ride one... then ride anything else and you will see. Not around the block, but out on the HWY in some wind.

So the entire model of motorcycle isn't worth putting gas in because of how they are in the wind? Lots of people ride them and love them.

I apologize if i'm coming off crass, but you didn't really provide a concrete answer. Let's not make our back-and-forth deter others from commenting on my thread, I won't respond to your next reply for that reason alone.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Finally we agree on something! No CX is worth putting gas in.

Meh, its the internet. Not real life.
Would LOVE to have a beer with you though....lol

As for the CX, I stand by my statement.

They are not very good at anything.
IF you are a 105 pound girl they are okay touring bikes. They have some strange issues. Look up the triple bypass for these bikes.

As for a "café racer" they are complete junk.
Some like the looks, that's fine because everyone is different. Looks like a guzzi with downs to me.

Bike posted as "inspiration" is a complete heap as a "racer" anything.
We can debate labels until we are all blue in the face.
But understand this, THAT bike works less as a motorcycle then a stock CX. In some eyes that is stupid.

Play to a bike's strengths when modifying.
Does the CX fill a need for you? Are the mods making it better at that roll?

The "inspiration" bike is a clown shoe.
But then again some people like to go play dress up on the weekends, and if that is you game then fine.
Would rather a CX get hacked up into some hipster art project for pictures on pipe burn then a bike that had potential to offer a builder a solid platform to build a real vintage performance bike (café racer) off it.

jbeebe said:
So the entire model of motorcycle isn't worth putting gas in because of how they are in the wind? Lots of people ride them and love them.

I apologize if i'm coming off crass, but you didn't really provide a concrete answer. Let's not make our back-and-forth deter others from commenting on my thread, I won't respond to your next reply for that reason alone.

Go put your big girl panties on.
You posted on an open forum that you wanted people to tell you what they thought of a bike.

If you only wanted to hear what you wanted to here, then why did you ask?

I actually changed my mind.
Since you are one of the people that things that first step is to take the bike apart, I assume you have zero interest in function.
CX will be perfect for your journey of discovery.

For $500, if it were me, I would purchase the bike. On the other hand, I would not be purchasing it with the hopes of making a cafe racer style bike from that platform. In my opinion, the CX doesn't really lend itself to the cafe racer style of build. However, again if it were me, I see a $500 titled runner that could be spruced up and made into a fun, unique sounding town cruiser, or could be spruced up and sold for a bit of extra pocket change, or parted out for extra cash.
I would buy it, but it seems for different reasons. In the end, do what makes you happy man.

Luugo86 said:
For $500, if it were me, I would purchase the bike. On the other hand, I would not be purchasing it with the hopes of making a cafe racer style bike from that platform. In my opinion, the CX doesn't really lend itself to the cafe racer style of build. However, again if it were me, I see a $500 titled runner that could be spruced up and made into a fun, unique sounding town cruiser, or could be spruced up and sold for a bit of extra pocket change, or parted out for extra cash.
I would buy it, but it seems for different reasons. In the end, do what makes you happy man.

great points, thanks!

for 500 you are safe no matter what you do if its in good running shape

there are a lot of us that really like cx and have been riding and modding them for a long time

but as a hint if you want to know a lot about a cx ask on the cx forum

Every bike has its quirks. Yes they have a few known down sides but not worth signing it off. They are a great bike to troll around on as long as you don't think that every speed limit sighn you see should have a 1 in front of it lol. They are very reliable and my biggest complaint is soft suspension and yes in stock form they are ugly. This is my first bike and like everyone I am ready for some more power and adjustability but don't get me wrong I'll never get rid of her. I only paid $300 for mine and I'm still under 1000 2 years later total investment. Gas,oil,tires and routine maintence and enjoy the view.

Back
Top Bottom