1983 Suzuki GS1100ED --- "Big Boy"

NoobZooki

The night's on fire!
I have been looking at other people's restorations and I'm like DAAAAMN! Why can't I do that?

Here's my recently acquired GS1100.

The plan is to keep it mostly stock with a few upgrades. No hacksaw this time LOL! I will need to repaint it and put it back together.

DSCN3517.jpg

Home.
DSCN3519.jpg

Cylinders...
DSCN3522.jpg

Head.
DSCN3523.jpg

Vance & Hines 4-1.
DSCN3529.jpg

All the parts laid out.
DSCN3526.jpg

Truck bed liner...
DSCN3528.jpg

Oh! What's this???
DSCN3530.jpg

The truck bed liner was peeling! So peeled some more...
DSCN3532.jpg

DSCN3533.jpg

DSCN3541.jpg

Sweet!
DSCN3543.jpg

Did the same with the fender.
DSCN3537.jpg

DSCN3539.jpg

Then side covers. Left side. Too bad the mounting tabs are broken.
DSCN3552.jpg

DSCN3553.jpg

The right side is black with no decals.
DSCN3550.jpg

DSCN3551.jpg

And then the tail section.
DSCN3555.jpg

DSCN3559.jpg

Headlight bucket.
DSCN3561.jpg

Look at the mess it made...
DSCN3556.jpg

As of right now.
DSCN3580.jpg

DSCN3583.jpg

DSCN3582.jpg

Too bad I peeled some of the clear coat and decals too. Oh well.

And then there's 3 keys for each lock LOL!

beatnic will be a good go to on this for you, i am pretty sure he has one of these and has gone through every inch of it.

Nice find

Nice bike Noob. Aside from the bedliner of course......

Yep Beatnic has the exact same bike. What a wonderful year for Suzuki's.

No worries, Beatnic can "feel" the exchange of a GS1100. The force has been disrupted........

Looking good. Must have lost quite a few pounds alone with the bed liner. I myself am restoring a 1985 GS1150E and making it an ES. Love these bikes. Had a GS1100es with 85 GS1150ES front end and rear wheel. Ohlin shocks. Ported head that was milled and degreed cams and slingshot carbs with Bassani Exhaust. That bike was fast. And I miss it.

Looking forward to your resto. I will post mine shortly.

Even the faded red looks better than that black crap. I bid on a couple of 1100e's and a kettle before I finally won the auction for my T500. I fell in love with all the old Zookies back in the day.

zooke581 said:
Looking good. Must have lost quite a few pounds alone with the bed liner. I myself am restoring a 1985 GS1150E and making it an ES. Love these bikes. Had a GS1100es with 85 GS1150ES front end and rear wheel. Ohlin shocks. Ported head that was milled and degreed cams and slingshot carbs with Bassani Exhaust. That bike was fast. And I miss it.

Looking forward to your resto. I will post mine shortly.

Reddy said:
Even the faded red looks better than that black crap. I bid on a couple of 1100e's and a kettle before I finally won the auction for my T500. I fell in love with all the old Zookies back in the day.
Thanks guys! That truck bed liner was horrible. And the red rims??? I'm sorry but that just didn't work for me.

I'm going to paint my bike blue. Possibly this winter...
2008_07.jpg

can't believe I just saw this. yeah, mine's an 83 also, same color and everything. good to see you have both side covers, they're really hard to find. is that a corbin gunfighter seat? they were pretty popular, jim @ alchemy upholserty recovered mine last spring. much more comforable than the stock seat.

they're great road bikes, lots of power, and can be made to handle well. great find.

mine's been dubbed the "roadwarrior" by the Pa West crew. lol.

beatnic said:
can't believe I just saw this. yeah, mine's an 83 also, same color and everything. good to see you have both side covers, they're really hard to find. is that a corbin gunfighter seat? they were pretty popular, jim @ alchemy upholserty recovered mine last spring. much more comforable than the stock seat.

they're great road bikes, lots of power, and can be made to handle well. great find.

mine's been dubbed the "roadwarrior" by the Pa West crew. lol.
You finally found me! ;D

So I hear that you've gone through every inch of your GS1100E? It would be great if you could guide me along the way! :)

I do have both side covers but the red one has no mounting tabs on it at all! I will try to make a tab myself but it that fails, I have a bid going on for a blue side cover on eBay.

I don't know if that seat is a gun fighter (I think it is) but it is a Corbin. Feels comfortable and looks great, IMO.

I am really looking forward to getting this bike on the road. I hear good things about it. ;)

Oh yeah! Got any spare parts?

Spent a total of 9 hours and $400 today.

Here's an engine.
DSCN3997.jpg

And it needs to go in here. Bike has been stripped down.
DSCN3999.jpg

Lay it on the side technique.
DSCN4000.jpg

DSCN4014.jpg

DSCN4011.jpg

DSCN4013.jpg

DSCN4007.jpg

DSCN4004.jpg

Some parts were missing from this engine such as the stator, signal generator, signal generator cover, gear position sensor, and starter motor cover.

But luckily I kept the stator, signal generator, signal generator cover, and gear position sensor from the grenaded 1983 engine.

I only need the starter motor cover. I also need to drain the oil and fill it up with new oil, air filters for the carburetor, and possibly new intake pipes (I couldn't put the carbs on because it's hard).

What else? Need a gasket for the stator cover (there is none). Pulled the starter out of the engine and bench tested it. It works! Good compression on all 4 cylinders and that's good as well.

OK... I have a very good feeling about this engine

Ordered some more stuff. Finally got some luck with eBay.

Float bowl gaskets. OEM! Not the reproduced ones
smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180689174365&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I hope that the 1981 GS1100 stator covers are the same as the 1982 GS1100.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250847692150&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Got these parts from Z1 Enterprises.

4 feet of clear fuel lines.
http://www.z1enterprises.com/Fuel-Line--clear--14-ID-716-OD-297.aspx

SS engine bolt kit.
http://www.z1enterprises.com/Bolt-Set--Suzuki-GS1100-E-ESD-8283--Stainless-Steel-Set-646-ZZ-1213.aspx

A bottom end gasket set.
http://www.z1enterprises.com/Gasket-Set--Suzuki-GS1100-GS1150--BottomEnd-2915.aspx

And to top everything off, I got this awesome Katana magazine ad
biggrin.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190550491264&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Now I still need oil and air filters so that I can try to start it...

Tach drive.
DSCN4017.jpg

Switched out the silver sprocket cover for the black.
DSCN4015.jpg

And same for the clutch cover
cool.gif
DSCN4019.jpg

When the SS bolts get here, it will really POP! Now that I mention it, I forgot to order exhaust studs from Z1. I guess I'll take a look around McMaster-Carr.

I was going to check the sparkplugs too but guess what? I don't have a deep well socket for it. And I don't even know what size socket I need! Who knows what size it is?

Polished the oil cap.
DSCN4033.jpg

Z1 Enterprises SS bolt kit.
DSCN4039.jpg

Clear fuel hose from Z1.
DSCN4040.jpg

Bottom end gasket set from Z1.
DSCN4041.jpg

Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil.
DSCN4043.jpg

SS bolts on!

Clutch cover.
DSCN4053.jpg

Cam covers.
DSCN4057.jpg

Nasty old oil.
DSCN4058.jpg

Filled it up with the Rotella.
DSCN4060.jpg

New to me, undamaged stator cover.
DSCN4065.jpg

Carbs on.
DSCN4064.jpg

NOS float bowl gaskets.
DSCN4061.jpg

Got myself a starter motor cover in black with rust lol.
DSCN4069.jpg

Pod filters.
DSCN4093.jpg

Filters on!
DSCN4095.jpg

WHEW! Lot's of work getting these pictures in. How about these wheels? Astralites! I want them soooooo bad....
Guz_Astralite.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom