Grips on!
DSCN4126.jpg

The chain again.
DSCN4134.jpg

Overall pics.
DSCN4127.jpg

DSCN4128.jpg

DSCN4132.jpg

Fuck! Timing is way off :mad: . No wonder the bike won't start.

Aligned to the T mark.
DSCN4164.jpg

Then I look up to the camshafts and see this. Exhaust camshaft.
DSCN4165.jpg

Intake camshaft.
DSCN4166.jpg

Camshaft sprockets.
DSCN4167.jpg

Wow that was tiring. That brings us all up to date. Although I do realize that I'm talking to myself :'(

Actually, I was waiting for you to finish typing!

Good job Allen. It resembles a motorcycle again.......why was the timing off? Hopefully the chain didn't skip a tooth anywhere......

Big Rich said:
Actually, I was waiting for you to finish typing!

Good job Allen. It resembles a motorcycle again.......why was the timing off? Hopefully the chain didn't skip a tooth anywhere......
Yup, it's now a complete bike :D

As to the reason why the timing was off.... I will take a guess. Someone decided to do some head work but completely failed to put it back together. And there was nasty goopy crap that was used as a gasket. Luckily he was smart enough not to use too much of it so none of it was inside the engine that could have plugged up the oil lines which would have to let to oil starvation! :eek:

That's my theory. The valves are extremely tight as well. I will adjust them tomorrow and try to start it again! :)

Don't know if it applies to the 1100, but the service manual for my GR is very......."odd" when it comes to the timing chain. Can't recall exactly what the problem is, but I think it states "count 21 pins between the camshafts" and has a drawing with arrows. But the arrows are pointing at the 19th pin or something strange like that.

Either way, good job!

Big Rich said:
Don't know if it applies to the 1100, but the service manual for my GR is very......."odd" when it comes to the timing chain. Can't recall exactly what the problem is, but I think it states "count 21 pins between the camshafts" and has a drawing with arrows. But the arrows are pointing at the 19th pin or something strange like that.

Either way, good job!
Hmmm... With the 1100, the manual says that the arrow with the number 3 next to it should point straight up at the 12 o'clock position and same thing for the number 2. Number 1 should point at the 3 o'clock position. And there should be 20 pins between the arrows. Yeah, it's confusing in words but makes sense with a picture :)

EDIT: WOW! Is that your GR650 in your avatar. I gotta go check out your build thread :)

Looking good, hope there was no damage or valve contact with the timing off. Hope she fires up for you now. starting to look like a bike again!

Did a little work on the carbs. Idles perfectly at 1,100 RPM. Took it for a quick test ride around the neighborhood. Smooth acceleration, good handling (despite it's weight), addicting power, etc. This bike is very nice!

It's official. I now like big bikes ;D

They really do handle well despite their weight. I use 20wt fork oil, fox gas shocks, and avon roadriders, made the bike feel 100lbs lighter. A fork brace really helps the front end feel stable.

beatnic said:
They really do handle well despite their weight. I use 20wt fork oil, fox gas shocks, and avon roadriders, made the bike feel 100lbs lighter. A fork brace really helps the front end feel stable.
Yes, I have a bid on ebay right now for a fork brace. Please let me win!

Painted the front fender and right side cover. Not perfect but better than blue.
DSCN4254.jpg

DSCN4255.jpg

DSCN4258.jpg

DSCN4261.jpg

Carbs are off being dipped and rebuilt.
DSCN4262.jpg

DSCN4264.jpg

Bill, if you're reading this, the carbs look great! No more crappy black paint!
DSCN4304.jpg

DSCN4305.jpg

DSCN4306.jpg

Also got a CPCU from Bill. Installed it but still no lights so the problem is somewhere else...
DSCN4303.jpg

Man... I always find myself looking back as I'm walking away
redface.gif
DSCN4307.jpg

So... I had to start it up. Turned the choke on, hit the start button, and the RPM was between 2,000-3,000 RPM. That's as far as I got. The bike is too loud even at those RPM's. So I will start it up again on Monday when my neighbors are at work
smile.gif

Looking good so far Allen. But.........what's up with those pods? I understand trying to find the proper airbox for a restoration can be a rest PITA, but I'm gonna say emgo pods may just give you all sorts of problems.

Big Rich said:
Looking good so far Allen. But.........what's up with those pods? I understand trying to find the proper airbox for a restoration can be a rest PITA, but I'm gonna say emgo pods may just give you all sorts of problems.
I did say that the EMGO's are temporary right? I will get K&N's this winter. But get this, the bike runs very well up to 8,000 RPM and I didn't dare to go any more than that. Smooth acceleration and no stumbling at all. It has a Dynojet Stage 3 kit too.

And yes, finding an airbox was very hard. Besides, it was already rejetted by the PO.

We'll call this a resto mod.

Nice work so far. I look forward to living vicariously through your build as I picked up an 82GS1100e recently but will probably not get to that bike until this winter. Mine won't be a restoration as it's a bit too far gone for that, but I'm going to try and get away from the stock tank/sidcovers/seat setup and see what I can make work on it.

Wiring is good for now...

Got me a brand new chain.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1439Q2el2649QQitemZ270795023348QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

The orange sticker says $111!
DSCN4355.jpg

DSCN4354-1.jpg

This chain is brand new and SUPER HEAVY! Wow lol. I guess that's a 630 for you .

As some of you may know, my clutch has a very annoying rattle if the RPM is under 1,500. So I decided to fix it :mrgreen:.

Oil drained. This is the Rotella 15w-40 after like 50 miles.
DSCN4356.jpg

Clutch.
DSCN4357.jpg

Clutch springs removed.
DSCN4363.jpg

Aha! There's the problem. The tab washer was NOT bent over the clutch hub nut therefore the clutch hub nut is loose.
DSCN4360.jpg

Tightened and locked with tab washer.
DSCN4364.jpg

Clutch plates appear to be in good condition.
DSCN4362.jpg

What's up with this gold paint inside the engine under the clutch cover? It scratches off easily and I saw remnants of gold flakes in the oil I drained.
DSCN4366.jpg

Filled it up with 15w-40 Rotella oil again. Started the bike and let it warm up. No more clutch rattle. I can let it idle at 1,100 RPM with no clutch rattle. Woohoo!!!

Installed brand new clutch cable (top).
DSCN4379.jpg

The throttle grip does not snap back into position. Instead, it slowly goes back. It's supposed to snap back right? I checked the cable and it's bent at places. Or maybe it's the springs on the carbs? We'll find out...

Throttle cable purchased.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1439Q2el2649QQitemZ200539547705QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

Superbike mirrors purchased.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180711149020&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Also have a chain guard on the way.

Back
Top Bottom