Super Sized Clean Up CBX

Yup vented disc
I wanted to check to see if you could swap the rotors and calipers to an early bike.
Probably not worth the work or the money...have you seen CBX parts prices?

Havent really done much work on the bike in a while. But now that the summer is almost over I can take my time, do things right and have a great bike for some long rides in the spring

Sounds like a good plan. Im shooting for new years but really what good will that be! I need to learn patience.

Slowly getting back to working on this bike

Ordered some bronze ProLink bushings. Missed the first set on ebay that went cheap and had to actually pay for the set I won....lame...lol
Still need to order the Progressive rear shock to replace the OEM airbag.

Carbs just need to be bench synced and they are ready to install, plan to run the OEM carbs for now.

Also bought these
50C7FAEB-1853-4DF6-8280-F373257AAA66-30599-0000280CEC3CB9FD.jpg

The fairing has two plugs that these will fit nicely in. Need to find a set of mounting hardware, or just make something.

I did soda blast and clean up the 29mm smoothbores and they are looking AMAZING!
I need some gaskets and to get in touch with rick from "ricks tricks"(the guy that made these set ups in the 80s) to order a new set of rubber manifolds. I am told he still makes them

85813363-F17F-4A9C-9815-C9BEFCF14617-2944-0000027AFCCE0F57.jpg

8BF7B5C6-BB38-4DDF-A19E-201128103ACF-2944-0000027AF6067818.jpg

Almost done with the smoothbores.
Not sure why I cleaned these up. Not running them on this bike
I need to clean the choke plates on the stock carbs and get them installed.
Then its time to fire her up

OK, so CBX carbs are literally the most frustrating mechanical component of a machine I have ever worked on. I have actually built jet turbines that were easier!
Rant over....kinda

Well I went to button things up on the factory carbs and found that two of the slow jets were extra clogged. Kinda a pain to clean but got them
I fixed my WD40 mistake on the choke butterflies and they are all moving freely as they should.
Checked that the throttle plates are all in sync and closing properly, good
Realized that I was being stupid about not knowing what a rod did. It was the accelerator pump actuator
Took this opportunity to check the accelerator pump system.....fail....
The "bowl" under the pump is not filling with fuel and I believe that I also have some nozzles that are clogged.

I really feel like this bike forces you to truly get to a zen happy place in order to mend it. Its like it knows that you are not at 100% and refuses to corporate.
While this can be annoying at times, its kind of nice as I really hate to work as a hack, although some times I do

In my mind any more than one carb is to many! :) They are such a pain in the ass especially if they have a lot of miles on them. That bike you have is one of the coolest bikes ever, BUT, there is a reason they didnt make them for long. Hang in there! :)

Carbs are a pain, still not 100% right yet and with the hours that it takes to get them on and off im not buttoning everything up till they are perfect.
Looking back at it I should have sent the carbs out. Base charge is $500, but by the time every little thing is fixed and you opt to have the metal re plated and all that jazz its $900+....
Tough pill to swallow, but after all the kicking and screaming it would have been worth it.

Honda did the CBX just to do it. And have the fastest bike on the planet.
Water cooling killed this and many other bikes from this era.

Back
Top Bottom