1970 Greeves Griffon *VIDEO ADDED* With Questions

Re: 1970 Greeves Griffon

Dang, that bike is looking nice! Excellent welding.

No real progress but here are a couple of pics of where I am at with the Griffon. Next job is the wheels so don't expect too much progress anytime soon as this is going to take a while. I am just going to strip the rear and polish the hub as it was originally and hopefully I can buff the spokes and rim and reassemble.

Attachments

• griff 2.JPG
    griff 2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 293
  • griff 1.JPG
    griff 1.JPG
    797.4 KB · Views: 313
  • griff rear 1.JPG
    griff rear 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 297

Started work on the rear wheel, good news is the original made in England Dunlop rim polished up nicely! Got the hub in the lathe and cleaned up the flanges a little. Next I will soda blast it then polish the conical center as per original. Not sure if I can save the spokes yet but I will do my best, a new set is about $100.

Attachments

• rim2.JPG
    rim2.JPG
    671.4 KB · Views: 297
  • rim1.JPG
    rim1.JPG
    602.1 KB · Views: 293
  • hub.JPG
    hub.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 310

Hub is polished and the spokes are going to be re-used as I tried one on the wire wheel and then polished on the buffer and it looks good.... 39 more to go! Brake bake plate is soda blasted.

Attachments

• photo (61).JPG
    photo (61).JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 282

ABCanuck said:
Try saying that 10 times fast :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, I couldn't even spell it right "bake":)

I just bought a 67 Greeves Challenger a few weeks ago and I'm about to dig into it so this has been a great inspiration. I've got no spark at the moment so I'm going to try the simple things first and clean/set the points. Quick question - did you need a special puller to remove the flywheel rotor?

BarnBurner said:
I just bought a 67 Greeves Challenger a few weeks ago and I'm about to dig into it so this has been a great inspiration. I've got no spark at the moment so I'm going to try the simple things first and clean/set the points. Quick question - did you need a special puller to remove the flywheel rotor?

I think I made one. That's what I normally do if there are tapped holes in the rotor it is easy.

You should join this website and go on their forum a bunch of experts on there. http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/

Start a build thread on here too. Are you in the USA? If so Ken Sykes is the guy to get parts from.

Thank you!
Here is the rear wheel all re-laced.

Attachments

• photo 2 (14).JPG
    photo 2 (14).JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 775
  • photo 1 (20).JPG
    photo 1 (20).JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 774

johnu said:
Are you in the USA? If so Ken Sykes is the guy to get parts from.

Yeah, I'm in Ohio. I already got a few parts from Ken actually. I'm all set to get a puller from him too, but was curious if I could use one off-the-shelf.

Post a pic of the rotor and maybe I can suggest a simple way to make a puller.

I like getting new parts :) Air filters, rear sprocket and wheel bearings. Front fender came but it has a kink in it :mad:
Also got the rear wheel bearings installed and trued the wheel on my newly built truing stand.

Attachments

• photo (68).JPG
    photo (68).JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 836
  • photo 1 (30).JPG
    photo 1 (30).JPG
    564.3 KB · Views: 311

johnu said:
I like getting new parts :) Air filters, rear sprocket and wheel bearings. Front fender came but it has a kink in it :mad:
Also got the rear wheel bearings installed and trued the wheel on my newly built truing stand.
yea it is like Christmas all year long!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a cool truing stand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I finally finished lacing up and trueing both wheels, just got done installing tyres. Putting MX tyres on is not my favorite job ::)
Hopefully the build should go pretty quick now :)

Attachments

• wheels.JPG
    wheels.JPG
    731.4 KB · Views: 300

Front end done, just need some grips and put oil in the forks :) Still waiting for rear brakes shoes, when I get those I can get the thing finished.

Attachments

• greeves f1.JPG
    greeves f1.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 318
  • greevesf2.JPG
    greevesf2.JPG
    678.3 KB · Views: 358
  • greeves f3.JPG
    greeves f3.JPG
    673.7 KB · Views: 340

Glad to see you back in action on this bike Johnu.. Very much looking forward to seeing this build progress, such a cool bike!

Back
Top Bottom