Thoughts / advise on Carb to use on CB750 project?

rohalloran

Hi all,

I have come up against a bit of a wall on my CB750 project - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75591.0

When I bought the bike the bike had, what I am 99% sure, were Bandit 600 carbs. The previous owner had made some custom intake manifolds too which are really well made. Here are some pictures.

My plan was always to run with these carbs and see how it would run as I have read a number of posts about using CV carbs on CB builds. Over the Christmas break I got around to stripping down the carbs only to find the internals are in a bad way and a jet broke to make matters worse!

I have 2 thoughts, 1) purchase another used set of Bandit carbs, fit and hope they work with just some jetting tweaks 2) just purchase a set of standard CB750K7 carbs and put it back to stock. The only issue with this is I will have to remove the custom made manifolds and these are fitted pretty darn tight! I'm also afraid any force might break the original manifold on the head.

Any thoughts or input on this? Carbs and fueling was never one of my better areas with bike projects so all comments are welcome.

Thanks.

I hate the stock K7 carbs. I put the 2into1 Mikuni carb kit from Murray's carbs on my chopper. It's probably the single best mod I did on that bike. Alternately, you might be able to go with a full set of four VM carbs.

irk miller said:
I hate the stock K7 carbs. I put the 2into1 Mikuni carb kit from Murray's carbs on my chopper. It's probably the single best mod I did on that bike. Alternately, you might be able to go with a full set of four VM carbs.

How do they look fitted? Did they bolt straight on? Any improvement in performance?

cb750sohc.jpg

This pic is from his site, which puts the carbs in the frame nicely. Because of the nature of the "v" in my chopper frame, I flipped the intakes on mine, so they sit just outside the frame.

index.php

As far as performance, he can give you more concrete numbers, but I will say it's obvious you're gaining on low end torque and there feels like good hp improvement. The bike has much better cruising performance. It's a great setup for this engine.

Back
Top Bottom