1976 xl250 recycle

Cheers Blue. I bought some cheap mirrors from Hong Kong, I liked the fact that the mirror is housed in aluminium but did not like the modern looking arms so I knocked up a couple of simple ones to replace them.

Attachments

• mirror.JPG
    mirror.JPG
    515.3 KB · Views: 327
I could not find a front mud guard that I liked so I thought I should give making one a bash. I made a form then just bashed a bit of 2mm aluminium into shape. As I am not a old school panel beaters arse it is not perfect(a British wheel would be handy) but it is good enough for the level of finish I am aiming at. It will have a paint finish so I can smooth it up a bit.

Attachments

• mold.JPG
    mold.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 314
  • beat.JPG
    beat.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 295
  • done.JPG
    done.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 307
Mate, shape it on the ends, polish and keep it away from the paint! that looks great as it is!

jim that looks great. i've been trying to find decent fenders and even old battered ones i've come across are pricey. i might give this a try.
how did you smooth the ply out after you adhered them??

Thanks guys. Smv, I cut each piece of 15mm ply to a different radius then laminated them and faceted off with a arbortech. I then cut a block to match the cross sectional shape, contact glued 60 grit to it and went at it for as long as it took. Probably more work in the mold than the guard.

Jim

Another step forward.

I did not want to stray too far from the original tank design so this is what I came up with. I could not get a pinstripe any thinner than the one you see on the tank so it is a bit of a compromise but I am happy enough with the look. I replaced the red of the original with a candy grey. While I was sample spraying I found that with the right mix I could get a fairly even sort of hammered look with the clear grey so I went with that, it is hard to see in pics but looks good on the bike and is a slight stray from your standard candy.

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    633.8 KB · Views: 308
Looking great! You've done alot of really smart things. I really like how the mirrors turned out, and your rear blinker brackets look factory.
Only thing I would say is be careful with your galvanized steel if your welding it. It emits a toxic fume (zinc oxide)when burnt and can cause metal fume fever.
Tank looks great, too :)

Cheers Interceptor and thanks for the welding tip. I do my welding outdoors and if i do any in the shed I do it near the door with a fan blowing across the work. As I live in the tropics I have a big arsed fan(1 metre diameter) when it is set on "3" it almost blows me over and it keeps most of the fumes away from me.

I have not been doing much on the bike for last few days but have been told by the chromers that they have posted my headlight bucket, kick starter and brake hub lever back.

I was given a 7inch chrome headlight by a friend who received it as a wrong order when he bought some other parts online.

I went to drill two holes in it to put the idiot lights in and the chrome popped, I then could peel all the chrome off with my fingers (made in china). Anyway the chrome guys reckon that will never happen after they have finished with it.

When that lot comes back I will get the bike up for a ride for a while before the rainy season starts then when the rain starts will get it back to the shed to do the final wheels. 18 inch original rear and a 18 front rim with a 1974 CL360 twin leader hub. Then put 18-4 Firestone ANS military's on. The bike will then be almost done except I want to get a better looking header pipe than the one you see in the pics.

Nice work.
And what a difference your new seat makes.
One of those subtle things, that if you didn't know what the original looked like, you'd overlook.
I'm impressed.

Thanks Oddjob, subtle is what I am chasing as I still want anyone who knows the old xl250 to be able to tell that that is what it is. I have also been through your thread (nice job you are doing there) and you are quite the maker/modifier yourself. Was sorry to hear about the tree, I would have chainsaw milled it up and sold the oak or made a few things out of it but then I am a true wood nut.

Your build is looking great I loook foreward to seeing your updates. Is your seat the same length as original?

Been having a bit of a ride today, still lots to. Speedo has to change, fork boots on, tank change, the wheels done, number plate is hanging on with wire and am not happy with the pipe but it works fine for now.

Attachments

• ridin.JPG
    ridin.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 323
  • ridin2.JPG
    ridin2.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 315
Before and after a bit of chrome, still need to re-polish the hub but it is looking much better. It is a 1974 CL360 hub.

Attachments

• hub2.JPG
    hub2.JPG
    788.1 KB · Views: 315
  • hub1.JPG
    hub1.JPG
    492.1 KB · Views: 310
Thanks Steve, yes there is and a few other bits too. I just sat the levers in place for a pic, still lots of assembly to do. I have been keeping my eye on Mexico too as I do love the small bikes.

Back
Top Bottom